Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 20

Thread: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,050
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,939 times in 680 posts

    JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Doubling peak memory speeds, quadrupling density. Hardware expected in H2 2021.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    So no new PC this year.. somewhere next year around same time as now when it all has matured a bit.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    152 times in 139 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    So no new PC this year.. somewhere next year around same time as now when it all has matured a bit.
    This time next year? Not going by previous historic new memory standards adoption rates.
    New hardware in 2021, some servers switching towards the end of the year. Consumer hardware in 2022 or 2023.
    DDR4's adoption rate was way slower.
    DDR4 was finalised in 2012. The first Skylake CPUs are were mostly DDR3 and only later Skylake architecture CPUs (the so-called Kaby Lake architecture) started using mostly DDR4 except for laptops in 2016.
    Last edited by kompukare; 15-07-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo: meant consumer 2022 not 2020!

  4. #4
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,885
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    325 times in 230 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    I have only just upgraded to DDR4. It'll be at least 3 or 4 years before I consider DDR5.

  5. #5
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,624
    Thanks
    1,587
    Thanked
    3,015 times in 2,450 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I have only just upgraded to DDR4. It'll be at least 3 or 4 years before I consider DDR5.
    That's good, I doubt it'll be available by the time you consider it

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    757
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked
    58 times in 47 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    It'll be at least 3 or 4 years before I consider DDR5.
    It'll be quite a few years before I consider any type of upgrade, if my Sandy Bridge system is any form of metric for platform longevity, by the time software catches up it'll be at least 5 years before I start considering it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,653
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    325 times in 260 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote from the article: "Offer a max standard data rate of 6.4Gbps - 50 per cent faster than the official 3.2Gbps max speed of DDR4."

    Erm......6.4 Gbps is 100% faster than 3.2 Gbps.
    Just because 3.2 Gbps is 50% slower than 6.4 does not make the reverse true!
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  8. Received thanks from:

    Sumanji (15-07-2020)

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    So no new PC this year.. somewhere next year around same time as now when it all has matured a bit.
    This time next year? Not going by previous historic new memory standards adoption rates.
    New hardware in 2021, some servers switching towards the end of the year. Consumer hardware in 2022 or 2023.
    DDR4's adoption rate was way slower.
    DDR4 was finalised in 2012. The first Skylake CPUs are were mostly DDR3 and only later Skylake architecture CPUs (the so-called Kaby Lake architecture) started using mostly DDR4 except for laptops in 2016.
    I was originally thinking about a big upgrade this year, then changed my mind to next year when DDR5 and the new platform is released, but I'm back to thinking this year again... as you say, DDR5 launch unlikely to happen next year for consumers, and I'm sure the new memory and mobo's will be expensive, not to mention new adopter's teething issues. Zen4 maybe an end of the line platform, but it should provide many years of solid performance.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    So no new PC this year.. somewhere next year around same time as now when it all has matured a bit.
    This time next year? Not going by previous historic new memory standards adoption rates.
    New hardware in 2021, some servers switching towards the end of the year. Consumer hardware in 2022 or 2023.
    DDR4's adoption rate was way slower.
    DDR4 was finalised in 2012. The first Skylake CPUs are were mostly DDR3 and only later Skylake architecture CPUs (the so-called Kaby Lake architecture) started using mostly DDR4 except for laptops in 2016.
    I was originally thinking about a big upgrade this year, then changed my mind to next year when DDR5 and the new platform is released, but I'm back to thinking this year again... as you say, DDR5 launch unlikely to happen next year for consumers, and I'm sure the new memory and mobo's will be expensive, not to mention new adopter's teething issues. Zen4 maybe an end of the line platform, but it should provide many years of solid performance.
    Got AMD and Intel at each others throat... wait and see... who can adapt this new faboulous power first and fastests to be the most competetative...... remember what you say is when it was basically only Intel at it all.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    152 times in 139 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    Got AMD and Intel at each others throat... wait and see... who can adapt this new faboulous power first and fastests to be the most competetative...... remember what you say is when it was basically only Intel at it all.
    But neither Intel or AMD make memory chips.

    And those who do (44% Samsung, 29% Hynix, 20% Micron) operate on often razor thin margins unlike logic silicon vendors.

    Unsure who much retooling will be required for DDR5 but wasn't it that usually they don't retool but rather the new fabs at smaller nodes will be designed to DDR5 while the old ones continue with their current output.

    Either way, I'm sure the top vendors will be happy to get higher prices for DDR5 if the demand is there. Unless one of the Koreans tries to bury Micron (who by all accounts are significantly less efficient), but why risk the ire of Trumpster?

    When AMD or Intel adopt DDR5 is not that relevant to those calculation except to drive demand which if it outstrips supply will just mean those industries less dependent on price will adopt it first. Like for example servers. Which is happened at the previous switch and probably the switch before that.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Finally.

  13. #12
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,920
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked
    1,170 times in 996 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    When AMD or Intel adopt DDR5 is not that relevant to those calculation except to drive demand which if it outstrips supply will just mean those industries less dependent on price will adopt it first. Like for example servers. Which is happened at the previous switch and probably the switch before that.
    Traditionally at the point of crossover AMD and Intel have made parts with dual standard ram controllers which can take either memory type. So AMD could make some AM4 parts re-released on AM5 giving a performance boost.

    The split channel per dimm will be useful for APUs and to help feed the multiple threads on modern PCs. It also makes it rather more like GDDR memory, so no doubt we will see low end graphics cards adopting it given we saw DDR3 gpus where the hit was pretty bad.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,848
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked
    159 times in 125 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB hard disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 70 Mb/s

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    AMD could just swap out the IO die, saving some silicon area

  15. #14
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,920
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked
    1,170 times in 996 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    AMD could just swap out the IO die, saving some silicon area
    That's an interesting thought, given how DDR5 seems to have slipped a bit. Perhaps just needing a new IO die for AM5 was part of the reasoning for the 3000 series, though seeing how fast the new APUs are I wonder if 4000 series will be dropping chiplet and going back to fully integrated monolithic dies.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Anxious to build September yet DDR5, PCIe5, USB4 & 5nm suggest 2021 may be prudent. Prob throw Ampere/Sienna Cichlid in my antique Haswell till then.

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    152 times in 139 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: JEDEC releases final specification for DDR5 SDRAM

    Quote Originally Posted by rupert3k View Post
    Anxious to build September yet DDR5, PCIe5, USB4 & 5nm suggest 2023 may be prudent. Prob throw Ampere/Sienna Cichlid in my antique Haswell till then.
    There fixed that for you!

    Certainly for affordable DDR5 - and for that matter DDR5 which actually offers a tangible improvement on current top-of-the-range DDR4.

    PCIe 5.0 and USB 4.0 might be possible but PCIe 4.0 is currently mostly under-utilised (headline burst rates for NVMe drives are about as useful headline burst rates for SATA3, SATA2, SATA1, PATA133, and so on - that is not very).

    5nm should happen in 2021, but not for everything as the prices of designs, masks etc. are even worse than 7nm. From the performance of the coming Zen2 APUs it is clear that a monolithic design has many advantages, and while AMD's increasing volume means it would make sense for them to return to monolithic for mainstream, the increased costs at 5nm make that very unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •