Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,085
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,940 times in 681 posts

    Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Claims to offer twice the scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 6.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    From the Marketing information it seems the tech is going to be seriously EXPENSIVE.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    ...scratches at a level 6 with deeper grooves at a level 7.

  4. #4
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,212
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked
    279 times in 222 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Marketing aside, i've been impressed with Gorilla Glass for many years now, and as a result i have not had to put a case or screen protector on my phones for over 10 years. They are simply not needed.

    I never quite get why people buy lovely, nice looking, slim phones and then proceed to cover them up with a case that always adds to the bulk & hides the exterior, before adding a screen protector that messes with either/or the colours/brightness/look/feel of the screen.

    An evolution in this tech is a good thing imo.

  5. #5
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,896
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    325 times in 230 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Marketing aside, i've been impressed with Gorilla Glass for many years now, and as a result i have not had to put a case or screen protector on my phones for over 10 years. They are simply not needed.

    I never quite get why people buy lovely, nice looking, slim phones and then proceed to cover them up with a case that always adds to the bulk & hides the exterior, before adding a screen protector that messes with either/or the colours/brightness/look/feel of the screen.

    An evolution in this tech is a good thing imo.
    I smash phones good. When you drink every night then use power tools, phones suffer.

    The idea that 1 in 5 people fear they'll be judged for scratching a phone is scary if true. I purposefully make my stuff look awful so as to avoid having to worry about it getting nicked.

    And that people worry about dropping a glass phone and damaging it says one thing to me.... STOP MAKING THEM OUT OF GLASS.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    hair line scratches on every phone I've had after a month or so....All had the latest Gorilla. Gorilla glass while being good to protect from scratches caused by metal e.g. keys it doesn't protect from minerals e.g. particles in sand, soil or dush. So yeah, they have a long way to go.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    12 times in 8 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    hair line scratches on every phone I've had after a month or so....All had the latest Gorilla. Gorilla glass while being good to protect from scratches caused by metal e.g. keys it doesn't protect from minerals e.g. particles in sand, soil or dush. So yeah, they have a long way to go.
    use case and vinyl screen protector you silly...

    i dont understand whats the point of buying new shiny phone only to drop it from 2ft and smash side of it leaving you to use smashed up phone for how ever more months

  8. #8
    chj
    chj is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    8 times in 6 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I never quite get why people buy lovely, nice looking, slim phones and then proceed to cover them up with a case that always adds to the bulk & hides the exterior, before adding a screen protector that messes with either/or the colours/brightness/look/feel of the screen.
    I agree an evolution in this tech is always good. I don't want to cover up the beautiful, svelte rectangle. However, considering they can cost nearly a months wages and i want to keep it in good condition, you bet your ass i'm going to buy a cover and screen protector which costs next to nothing to protect it. Especially considering how easy it is to damage; even charging my P30 with the glass back the weight of the cable has made it fall off the table. Also it help keep the phones resale value.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked
    58 times in 47 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I never quite get why people buy lovely, nice looking, slim phones and then proceed to cover them up with a case that always adds to the bulk & hides the exterior, before adding a screen protector that messes with either/or the colours/brightness/look/feel of the screen.
    Probably because of the price of some of the things now? Although I've got to say the £90 I spent on a new Nokia 2.3 for someone in my family was also worth it, for the fraction of some of the newer phones.

  10. #10
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,700
    Thanks
    3,344
    Thanked
    4,669 times in 3,603 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    What are you lot doing with your phones to break them all the time??


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    hair line scratches on every phone I've had after a month or so....All had the latest Gorilla. Gorilla glass while being good to protect from scratches caused by metal e.g. keys it doesn't protect from minerals e.g. particles in sand, soil or dush. So yeah, they have a long way to go.
    use case and vinyl screen protector you silly...

    i dont understand whats the point of buying new shiny phone only to drop it from 2ft and smash side of it leaving you to use smashed up phone for how ever more months
    My point was that Gorilla glass isn't as tough as it seem or advertises itself. What do you need gorilla glass for if you are going to slap case and screen protector?! ...which I do because I don't trust GG

  12. #12
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,896
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    325 times in 230 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus majors on scratch resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    My point was that Gorilla glass isn't as tough as it seem or advertises itself. What do you need gorilla glass for if you are going to slap case and screen protector?! ...which I do because I don't trust GG
    The problem I find is GG gives a false sense of security. People expect it'll protect. This is a bad plan. It's glass. Accept it's glass and see any protection you get is a bonus.

    I see it like antivirus. Just because you have AV running doesn't mean you go doing stupid things like opening every email attachment claiming to en1@rge y0ur pEn!5. Just because you have GG it doesn't mean you're going to put your phone in your pocket with keys or toss it accross the room.

    I have used plastic screen devices (I assume there are various kinds), soda glass devices, GG devices and saphire glass.

    Plastic actually seems the most resilient to every day stuff and I'd say the majority of the screens I use that are meant to be robust and hard wearing are made of some kind of plastic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •