Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Arm China boss goes rogue

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,085
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,940 times in 681 posts

    Arm China boss goes rogue

    Fired in June for misconduct, Allen Wu refuses to step down and has hired security guards.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    This article makes me feel so sad about how an innovative British company has opened the door to an outflow of IP to another state. Yes, the investment from the Chinese parent company was good for Arm in the short term, but it'll just be another British company that has sold out and moved over to China in the long run adding to the brain drain of our most innovative companies.

  3. #3
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,956
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddogPepper View Post
    This article makes me feel so sad about how an innovative British company has opened the door to an outflow of IP to another state. Yes, the investment from the Chinese parent company was good for Arm in the short term, but it'll just be another British company that has sold out and moved over to China in the long run adding to the brain drain of our most innovative companies.
    Softbank is Japanese, and the whole point of ARM is to licence IP so I'm guessing they have the right controls in place.

  4. #4
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,700
    Thanks
    3,344
    Thanked
    4,669 times in 3,603 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    The UK government didn't give a damn about ARM being 100% owned by Japan,and secondly the problem is the ARM Chinese division is 51% owned by local investors,so they can choose what CEO they want,even if ARM doesn't want them. Softbank already has started to split up ARM,ie,some of their IoT IP is being held back. So a familar thing is happening,another UK company being bought up,and then being split into multiple parts,and as usual unlike most countries,we are fine allowing this all the time. Japan OTH won't allow such things WRT to semi-conductors,and is actually scrutinising foreign share ownership more and more.

    Apple did it to another UK company called Imagination Technologies,who are responsible for a lot of IP used in the graphics side of smartphone SOCs. Apple on purpose tried to bankrupt them by stopping all IP licensing,and hire away their engineers by opening up an office a few miles away in Cambridge. All to save on some licensing money. In the end they got bought up by a Chinese backed consortium in 2017. Apple went back to licensing Imagination Technologies stuff. Basically,whereas the rest of the world is trying to push more indigenous semi-conductor development,we are just letting go of some of the most important companies we have over here.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The UK government didn't give a damn about ARM being 100% owned by Japan,and secondly the problem is the ARM Chinese division is 51% owned by local investors,so they can choose what CEO they want,even if ARM doesn't want them. Softbank already has started to split up ARM,ie,some of their IoT IP is being held back. So a familar thing is happening,another UK company being bought up,and then being split into multiple parts,and as usual unlike most countries,we are fine allowing this all the time. Japan OTH won't allow such things WRT to semi-conductors,and is actually scrutinising foreign share ownership more and more.

    Apple did it to another UK company called Imagination Technologies,who are responsible for a lot of IP used in the graphics side of smartphone SOCs. Apple on purpose tried to bankrupt them by stopping all IP licensing,and hire away their engineers by opening up an office a few miles away in Cambridge. All to save on some licensing money. In the end they got bought up by a Chinese backed consortium in 2017. Apple went back to licensing Imagination Technologies stuff. Basically,whereas the rest of the world is trying to push more indigenous semi-conductor development,we are just letting go of some of the most important companies we have over here.
    What Apple did was illegal, it has to be right?

    I guess it'll be many years, once all the people who've made their cash from these scams are long gone and can't be touched.

    They'll then settle for a pittance. It's nothing new, the rich / corporations don't need to obey the law. They just have to make sure they don't take the cash or investments from other rich, corrupt people in powerful positions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,185
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    The Rogue ARM of the law will be after him...

    I truly apologise for my comment
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  7. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,956
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    a really good rant.
    Whilst that's all true, this seems to be a simple case of ARM trying to get around Chinese protectionist company law to create a support subsidiary in China, and it has all gone horribly wrong thanks to the actions of one person.

    It is a mess, and will put people off trying to help Chinese companies. It will be interesting for that reason to see if China lifts a finger to help, but I won't hold my breath.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    What Apple did was illegal, it has to be right?
    No it wasn't. It was IT fault, as they trusted their business to be entangled with single customer - Apple. Of course that was unethical and so on, but all in a light of a law.

    It exactly a reason why companies like TSMC are not allowing companies like Apple/Nvidia to take all the capacity, even they can afford and want to buy it full.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Softbank is Japanese, and the whole point of ARM is to licence IP so I'm guessing they have the right controls in place.
    Apologies, my mistake. It's still disheartening to see what is happening to ARM though.

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,956
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddogPepper View Post
    Apologies, my mistake. It's still disheartening to see what is happening to ARM though.
    Disheartening is putting it mildly

    I'm still not sure whether I like the idea of IPO to take things back more like they were, or aggressive ownership like Nvidia. Uncertainty for the future will hurt them, and this sort of mess along the way isn't helping.

  11. #11
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,700
    Thanks
    3,344
    Thanked
    4,669 times in 3,603 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    What Apple did was illegal, it has to be right?

    I guess it'll be many years, once all the people who've made their cash from these scams are long gone and can't be touched.

    They'll then settle for a pittance. It's nothing new, the rich / corporations don't need to obey the law. They just have to make sure they don't take the cash or investments from other rich, corrupt people in powerful positions.
    It is totally legit. Just look at what Creative Labs did to Aureal Semiconductor.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Whilst that's all true, this seems to be a simple case of ARM trying to get around Chinese protectionist company law to create a support subsidiary in China, and it has all gone horribly wrong thanks to the actions of one person.

    It is a mess, and will put people off trying to help Chinese companies. It will be interesting for that reason to see if China lifts a finger to help, but I won't hold my breath.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ar...-idUKKCN24T1LQ

    The whole affair seems to be a whole mess as it was ARM and the main Chinese investor who wanted the CEO ousted,and the CEO is not even a Chinese citizen. So not sure if Chinese law will protect him.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Whenever has a Chinese employee not stolen secrets and gone back to china ?
    I've have never seen the 6 O'clock news ever report this, ever.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    34 times in 22 posts
    • chinf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • 1: Asus M5A97 R2.0; 2: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
      • CPU:
      • 1: AMD FX-8320E, Coolermaster Seidon V120 V2; 2: AMD PhenomII X3 710, Corsair H45
      • Memory:
      • 1: 16GB ECC DDR3L-1600; 2: 16GB ECC DDR3L-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1: Sandisk SSD, 4 WD, 1 Seagate, 1 HGST, 2 Toshiba HDDs; 2: Crucial SSD, 4 Samsung HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1: HIS Radeon HD6850, Corsair H55 & NZXT G10; 2: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 1: be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W; 2: Antec EA500D
      • Case:
      • 1: Antec P182; 2: Antec Sonata
      • Operating System:
      • 1: Ubuntu 15.10 & 16.04; 2: Ubuntu 16.04 & Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" @1920x1080, Iiyama 18" CRT

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by albert89 View Post
    Whenever has a Chinese employee not stolen secrets and gone back to china ?
    I've have never seen the 6 O'clock news ever report this, ever.
    While there are plenty of cases of industrial espionage for the Chinese state (and there are certainly factors encouraging this type of behaviour amongst those supporting or otherwise under the power of that state), be wary of tarring all people of a certain ethnicity of something, whatever it is.

    There are plenty of non-ethnic Chinese who have also done extremely questionable things in favour of the current Chinese regime (I can't say WHO though *cough*), so ethnicity isn't the sole factor. I've haven't seen the 6 O'clock news report this either.

    I suspect we might agree that it is extremely troubling that this state benefits disproportionally from the openness of the rest of the world through what I'd say are unethical means.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,090
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked
    390 times in 268 posts

    Re: Arm China boss goes rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    The Rogue ARM of the law will be after him...

    I truly apologise for my comment
    https://www.myinstants.com/instant/badum-tss/

  15. Received thanks from:

    3dcandy (30-07-2020)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •