Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,251
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,941 times in 682 posts

    TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Claims to have fabbed "one billion functional, defect-free 7nm chips" in that time.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    982
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    24 times in 22 posts

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    if TSMC was a USA company it would be worth $4 trillion surpassing Apple by twice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    549
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    21 times in 16 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Give me a call when they hit a googleplex

  4. #4
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,148
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked
    1,005 times in 765 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Intel reckons its 10nm SuperFin technology delivers processor enhancements comparable to a full node transition.
    Is that the same way they reckon benchmarks don't matter anymore and 4 cores is good enough etc? I reckon lots of things, doesn't make them true. Be interesting to see the tests when they finally get released. In 2022 or however long it takes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,752
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked
    230 times in 166 posts

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Is that the same way they reckon benchmarks don't matter anymore and 4 cores is good enough etc? I reckon lots of things, doesn't make them true. Be interesting to see the tests when they finally get released. In 2022 or however long it takes.
    Intels reckoning is based on the performance and capability of 10nm as the starting point. So they're not wrong because 10nm was utter garbage, 10nm+ was a mediocre waste of time and 10nm++ (SF) is where iy was expected to be years ago

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    if TSMC was a USA company it would be worth $4 trillion surpassing Apple by twice.
    So true, it could even be more, as crazy as it sounds.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    if TSMC was a USA company it would be worth $4 trillion surpassing Apple by twice.
    So true, it could even be more, as crazy as it sounds.
    But probably would never grow so big due to the USA politics and laws

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 2 posts

    Re: TSMC has produced >1 quintillion 7nm transistors since April 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Is that the same way they reckon benchmarks don't matter anymore and 4 cores is good enough etc? I reckon lots of things, doesn't make them true. Be interesting to see the tests when they finally get released. In 2022 or however long it takes.
    Intels reckoning is based on the performance and capability of 10nm as the starting point. So they're not wrong because 10nm was utter garbage, 10nm+ was a mediocre waste of time and 10nm++ (SF) is where iy was expected to be years ago
    I've personally found it quite amusing how willing most media outlets are to run with Intel's official line on this one. I guess someone at Intel noted how they got away with disappearing Cannon Lake and repeatedly redefining what constitutes a "generation" of the Core architecture, so now they can say whatever they like about their products and have it become fact.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •