Thread: Nvidia DLSS 2.1 delivers VR, 8K, and dynamic resolution support

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia DLSS 2.1 delivers VR, 8K, and dynamic resolution support

It is expected to launch in tandem with the RTX 30 cards, and be compatible with Turing.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Nvidia DLSS 2.1 delivers VR, 8K, and dynamic resolution support

OMG these graphs... They show DLSS ON FPS, but not DLSS OFF FPS, which compute to around

Control: 36.9 FPS
    Deliver Us the Moon: 47.11 FPS
    Minecraft RTX: 35.9 FPS
    MechWarrior 5: 48.4 FPS
    Wolfenstein Youngblood: 89 FPS

Formula: DLSS_OFF_FPS = 100% * DLSS_ON_FPS / %_increase
    eg. Control: 100% * 96FPS / 260% =~ 36.9 FPS

Don't get me wrong, I love DLSS for allowing to significantly lessen the otherwise big hit to performance that enabling RTX would bring. But are they really so ashamed of their 4K RTX ON, DLSS OFF numbers?

3. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (08-09-2020),Pleiades (08-09-2020),Terbinator (08-09-2020)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cinetyk View Post
    OMG these graphs... They show DLSS ON FPS, but not DLSS OFF FPS, which compute to around

Don't get me wrong, I love DLSS for allowing to significantly lessen the otherwise big hit to performance that enabling RTX would bring. But are they really so ashamed of their 4K RTX ON, DLSS OFF numbers?
    Seriously these graphs are horrible. Thank you for doing the good work. And yes those numbers are embarrassing. Might as well make DLSS required for 4k max

Thanks

Thanks for parsing it for us

Thanks

Thanks for that, Cineytyk. I'd be fascinated to know how those numbers compare to 280/2080ti. It'd give a very good indication on just how (or not) overhyped the 3000 series is ahead of reviews.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irien View Post
    Thanks for that, Cineytyk. I'd be fascinated to know how those numbers compare to 280/2080ti. It'd give a very good indication on just how (or not) overhyped the 3000 series is ahead of reviews.
    Assuming the RTX preset is on "high" on and no DLSS. On 2080
    Control: 33FPS (source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/control/nvidia-rtx-dlss-ray-tracing-performance-benchmarks#nn-graph-sheet-4k)

Well, I am not impressed

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

The 8K thing is a marketing exercise really (a questionable one outside of Korea/HK/Japan imo) - and all the numbers around it are completely worthless at the moment.

The 30x series isn't really an 8k card, and the 20x series wasn't really a 4k card. There is a huge difference in my mind between a technical possibility (i.e. you can run the game at that res) and actually playing the game at that res (hitting 4 or 8k at 60fps stable, on medium-high, without DLSS).

Nvidia are well aware of this but as they were criticised so much last cycle for not giving us anything until after launch, they kinda had to do something...so we have some numbers, and ones that simply cannot be compared to any other vendor at the moment, and even though they are trying to show us a % difference between Nvidia cards in certain scenarios they are also kinda worthless on their own.

The speculation is fun and all but really until we get benchmarks we are all just guessing at how good/bad these cards will really be. No reason for anyone to get disappointed/unimpressed about the performance at the moment as it's simply not known.

Speculation wise though I am pretty confident that the 3080/90 will run something like Control at 4k/60 without DLSS, but will require it for getting anything close to 60 at 8k (therefore its not really 8k is it).

Maps pretty well to the scenario today.

On a related note, I had a quick look and im surprised by how cheap 8k TVs are already - under £2k for a 55" model in the UK. Not remotely tempted to swap back to old fashioned LCD away from OLED for it, but still, interesting how much the pricing has dropped.

Thanks

Not impressive when they have to be using DLSS.
    The Ray Tracing performance being hyped I don't think is anywhere near what is being hinted at.
    I still believe it will be a performance hit, and still significant at that.
    Also neglecting to mention that the DLSS is x9 scaling rather than the x7 used normally.
    Which means it isn't 8k - but actually QHD or 1440p being rendered.

In cherry-picked examples there may be around a 70% rasterization performance increase, but I doubt that will be representative of many games.
    I suspect much nearer 30% or lower even.

There is a reason for the aggressive pricing vs their Turing releases, and that surely has to be AMD competition which is certainly close enough at the very least, if not trading blows to force that low pricing.
    Last edited by ByteMyAscii; 09-09-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Evidently so. And this is with DLSS on "performance" mode, so once again they're quoting 1080p performance numbers and passing them off as 4K.

I get that DLSS looks better than a naive upscale from 1080p, but I'm sick of them taking the piss with the bait-and-switch in their marketing numbers.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    The 8K thing is a marketing exercise really (a questionable one outside of Korea/HK/Japan imo) - and all the numbers around it are completely worthless at the moment.
    Speculation wise though I am pretty confident that the 3080/90 will run something like Control at 4k/60 without DLSS, but will require it for getting anything close to 60 at 8k (therefore its not really 8k is it).
    100% with you on this. DLSS has given them a golden opportunity to outright *lie* in their marketing - when they say "8K with DLSS", what they're actually giving you is "1440p with DLSS upscaling to 8K". Unbelievable that they can get away with it tbh.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2Genius1/2Wit View Post
    Unbelievable that they can get away with it tbh.
    Indeed but they are all at it sadly. AMD and Intel are just as bad, as is every single car manufacturer in the world who quotes WLTP range figures

Educated consumers are aware of this and adapt accordingly (such as chopping 25% off any WLTP range number, more if its electric, or realising 8k isn't 8k)....but most of the market isn't, and those people will be hoodwinked

Thread Information