Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 28

Thread: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,402
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,943 times in 684 posts

    BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    UK PM Johnson said last year that he aimed to achieve goal this by the end of 2025.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cptwhite_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,868
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked
    470 times in 343 posts
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD / 750Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming X GTX1080 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W VX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM (2560x1440 IPS Panel)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    So that'll be around 2047 then, and 100 billion over budget.

  3. Received thanks from:

    cokker (28-09-2020),Iota (28-09-2020),neonplanet40 (29-09-2020),Output (29-09-2020),Ozaron (29-09-2020),Pleiades (28-09-2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    91 times in 80 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    In all honesty never expected gigabit internet here in 2025 and 2033 seems far to early based on their usual speed of rollout....

    And lets be fair to they Government and BT, they should be allowed at least another year over 2025 due to delays caused by coronavirus etc.

    The funny thing is I literally see a bt van parked up the road from me every week at the 'junction' box.... the amount of time they've spent there dealing with 'copper' connections they could have fitted fibre lol.

    I also don't understand why the government are having to pay BT, a commercial entity with near monopolistic ownership of the telephone network, 5 BILLION (or 9 if BT gets their tax breaks)to basically upgrade the infrastructure they didn't even pay to install in the first place... BT should be paying for it out of their own pocket imo, it's not like they don't charge excessive amounts (compared with other countries) for usage or anything..

  5. Received thanks from:

    Iota (28-09-2020)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    27 times in 19 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    That sound ambitious, we Danes say 100 mbit at least for all, but i dont recall the time frame, but we should almost be there.
    The only reason Denmark are listed as it is on broadband speed indexes is most are cheap and do not have a big fat connection even if they can get that.

    I know a guy that have 30 / 30 mbit on fiber, and he could probably get 1000 / 1000 for the same price just switching ISP.

    If i lived the right place i could get 5 / 5 gbit on fiber for the same i pay for 1000 / 100 on cable right now, but sadly that ISP are pretty limited in where they do business.

  7. #5
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    1,487
    Thanked
    1,033 times in 789 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    In all honesty never expected gigabit internet here in 2025 and 2033 seems far to early based on their usual speed of rollout....

    And lets be fair to they Government and BT, they should be allowed at least another year over 2025 due to delays caused by coronavirus etc.

    The funny thing is I literally see a bt van parked up the road from me every week at the 'junction' box.... the amount of time they've spent there dealing with 'copper' connections they could have fitted fibre lol.

    I also don't understand why the government are having to pay BT, a commercial entity with near monopolistic ownership of the telephone network, 5 BILLION (or 9 if BT gets their tax breaks)to basically upgrade the infrastructure they didn't even pay to install in the first place... BT should be paying for it out of their own pocket imo, it's not like they don't charge excessive amounts (compared with other countries) for usage or anything..
    don't confuse BT with openreach. Two different things but somehow blurred together in a way I don't fully understand. From what more knowledgeable people have told me the government would do well to demand total separation of the two.

    IMO they should create a NFP organisation whose sole task is 1GB for every property FTTP and fund that. No propping up of pension schemes and legacy culture to deal with then.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,064
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked
    390 times in 273 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    I've always found its the upload that sucks, I'd probably be happy with fibre backbones everywhere and then 500/250 at the house.

  9. #7
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,547
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked
    175 times in 119 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    I'd take any improvements. Granted I'm in a better position than some (By moving ISP I went from 20mbps download to 35mbps ) but it still not enough. I've been discussing this on a few broadband forums and the problem comes that even the 500+ properties estate I live in isn't worth upgrading unless your looking at 30+ year time frames and companies can't work on those timescales with share holders... I shall continue waiting but not expecting.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  10. #8
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    1,487
    Thanked
    1,033 times in 789 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    companies can't work on those timescales with share holders... I shall continue waiting but not expecting.
    Hence I think it needs an NFP company set up under a government mandate.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    91 times in 80 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    don't confuse BT with openreach. Two different things but somehow blurred together in a way I don't fully understand. From what more knowledgeable people have told me the government would do well to demand total separation of the two.

    IMO they should create a NFP organisation whose sole task is 1GB for every property FTTP and fund that. No propping up of pension schemes and legacy culture to deal with then.
    Yeah I know they're supposed to be separate now but lets be honest they're basically the same company.

    I know I might be in the minority here but I honestly wish that major UK infrastructure and utilities were 'run' by the government and then just leased out to the likes of BT instead... if they're paying for the upgrades they might as well run it.


    Having said that I really don't see a need for 1 gigabit internet unless they ramp up the uploads to go with it, it's not like the servers online are going to keep up or anything, they're struggling with my current 80megabit line

  12. #10
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,900
    Thanks
    1,624
    Thanked
    3,054 times in 2,477 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I know I might be in the minority here but I honestly wish that major UK infrastructure and utilities were 'run' by the government and then just leased out to the likes of BT instead...
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who would notice the irony of BT leasing from a nationalised (say, British) telecommunication organisation

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    91 times in 80 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who would notice the irony of BT leasing from a nationalised (say, British) telecommunication organisation
    True but I remember the time when they were nationalised and although I was young, the company seemed to work a lot better than it does now lol

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,858
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked
    411 times in 313 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    True but I remember the time when they were nationalised and although I was young, the company seemed to work a lot better than it does now lol
    I remember the days of waiting months just to get a phone line installed.

    Mind you, rotary dial phones were state of the art and we did at least have automated switchboards by then.

    I never quite understood why, with rotary dial, "emergency" was 999, when you had to dial it all the way round, wait while it zzzzz'd all the way back, then repeat. Twice. Even 911 is more logical for something that is (or should be) a ....y'know .... actual emergency. But like, no, pick the slowest conceivable number, 'cos hey, it's not like your house is on fire, you're being burgled/attacked, or someone's dying from a heart attack, or anything.

    Anyway, I digress. Again.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  15. #13
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,298
    Thanks
    1,487
    Thanked
    1,033 times in 789 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I remember the days of waiting months just to get a phone line installed.

    Mind you, rotary dial phones were state of the art and we did at least have automated switchboards by then.

    I never quite understood why, with rotary dial, "emergency" was 999, when you had to dial it all the way round, wait while it zzzzz'd all the way back, then repeat. Twice. Even 911 is more logical for something that is (or should be) a ....y'know .... actual emergency. But like, no, pick the slowest conceivable number, 'cos hey, it's not like your house is on fire, you're being burgled/attacked, or someone's dying from a heart attack, or anything.

    Anyway, I digress. Again.
    it's exactly because it was all the way around. Little fingers and meddlers were least likely to do it by accident, and in the dark you find the last hole then run your finger round until it hits the stop and then let go, rinse and repeat. There was a logic to it.

    You realise that young posters won't have a clue what we're on about?

  16. Received thanks from:

    mtyson (28-09-2020)

  17. #14
    Long Time Lurker
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    23 times in 21 posts
    • mercyground's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UDP4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 160gb intel SSD + 3TB of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4770 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Akaska 550w
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG M1917TM
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Fibre

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    they still arent hooking up new developments with fibre out of the gate. I doubt this will change anything.

    Its a joke. However at least we arent as farked as the americans are. Their ISPs give zero farks and bend you over for all the cash they can get.

  18. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,858
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked
    411 times in 313 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    ....

    You realise that young posters won't have a clue what we're on about?
    Oh, yes, indeed.

    Remember those wedge-shaped contraptions with the height of new-tech, a push-button 'dial'?


    Oh, and for the record, yeah I knew what the reason was, but why spoil a good rant?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  19. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    11 times in 9 posts

    Re: BT CEO warns it could be 2033 before UK gets 'Gigabit for all'

    40 years ago, the GPO(Now BT) built two factories to fibre the whole of Britain. One factory to manufacture the actual fible cable, and the other to manufacture the various fittings and connectors.
    Mrs Thatcher ordered the operation closed down to enable the privatisation of the GPO.
    We were once world leaders in telecomms.
    Now? Not so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •