Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 30

Thread: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,402
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,943 times in 684 posts

    Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    BT had enjoyed a strong relationship with Huawei dating back to 2005.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    17 times in 14 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Obviously the costs incurred won't be passed on to the consumer

  3. #3
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,276
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked
    286 times in 228 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    What a huge waste of money. Totally ridiculous to rip out good quality, working equipment and replace it with another vendor like this.

    Out of words to express how idiotic this is. So i'll go back to work and really hope the Nokia kit is better than the old ECI rubbish that they were busy replacing with Huawei.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 6 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    What a huge waste of money. Totally ridiculous to rip out good quality, working equipment and replace it with another vendor like this.

    Out of words to express how idiotic this is. So i'll go back to work and really hope the Nokia kit is better than the old ECI rubbish that they were busy replacing with Huawei.
    Huawei isn't trustworthy, so not really.

  5. Received thanks from:

    chinf (29-09-2020),Platinum (29-09-2020)

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by Telekloud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    What a huge waste of money. Totally ridiculous to rip out good quality, working equipment and replace it with another vendor like this.

    Out of words to express how idiotic this is. So i'll go back to work and really hope the Nokia kit is better than the old ECI rubbish that they were busy replacing with Huawei.
    Huawei isn't trustworthy, so not really.
    ..............

  7. #6
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,276
    Thanks
    294
    Thanked
    286 times in 228 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by Telekloud View Post
    Huawei isn't trustworthy, so not really.
    Taken from the mouth of Donald Trump that....we had a whole thread on this so I won't reignite that argument, but suffice to say, that is a very debatable point and those in the tech industry generally agree that it's a load of rubbish and this is really a US trade war issue (and by effect, a UK-US trade issue). Nothing to do with the hardware/governance/technology/ownership argument.

  8. Received thanks from:

    Jonj1611 (29-09-2020)

  9. #7
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,547
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked
    175 times in 119 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    The thing that gets me if Huawei kit is SO bad why did the security services ever allow it in the first place. If it looks like and smells like trade war it probably is... At some point China is going to respond and given our reliance is quite concerning.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  10. Received thanks from:

    Spud1 (29-09-2020)

  11. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    18 times in 16 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    If Joe Biden wins, we'll be back to Huawei. If Trump wins, continue as intended.

  12. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by Telekloud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    What a huge waste of money. Totally ridiculous to rip out good quality, working equipment and replace it with another vendor like this.

    Out of words to express how idiotic this is. So i'll go back to work and really hope the Nokia kit is better than the old ECI rubbish that they were busy replacing with Huawei.
    Huawei isn't trustworthy, so not really.
    Yet that hasn't been proven.
    This is all about the US trade war.
    Rather than supporting US business, to make it better he just punishes the competition and artificially raises their prices, and hurts their ability to compete.

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    34 times in 22 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    The thing that gets me if Huawei kit is SO bad why did the security services ever allow it in the first place.
    It was only allowed with the unprecedented step of having the HCSEC set up to oversee the risk - i.e. an ongoing process, and as such you'd expect it to a) get better information over time, and b) update information that becomes obsolete because people/technology/politics/whatever changes over time, and so the evaluation must of course up.

    It was never about a company sitting an exam, getting a pass and then being free to do whatever it likes for evermore, without some exceptional change in circumstance warranting a change of treatment.

  14. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    34 times in 22 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    Yet that hasn't been proven.
    This is all about the US trade war.
    Rather than supporting US business, to make it better he just punishes the competition and artificially raises their prices, and hurts their ability to compete.
    Would you care to prove how just trustworthy the CCP has been in recent years? Perhaps you have no skin in the game, so you don't care or are just ignorant. Some of us are not so lucky.

  15. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,791
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked
    239 times in 172 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by chinf View Post
    Would you care to prove how just trustworthy the CCP has been in recent years? Perhaps you have no skin in the game, so you don't care or are just ignorant. Some of us are not so lucky.
    CCP isn't trustworthy but considering Huawei is under such scrutiny and is the lynch pin for a lot of the chinese telecommunications market, the CCP using it as an attack vector would be suicide.

    Huaweis last report basically said that they found nothing malicious, no home phone or engineered backdoors or unknowns. But what they did find is either Huaweis engineers are incompetent or it is an engineered incompetence but nothing that can't be counteracted very easily.

    Don't trust the CCP, that's fine, but trust that the UKs own government has spent millions establishing Huawei is not a high risk. Don't let Trumps racist anti Chinese sentiment detriment your reasoning and logic. Huaweis ban is a trade war, not because of them being a security risk.

  16. Received thanks from:

    cheesemp (30-09-2020),kompukare (29-09-2020),Spud1 (29-09-2020)

  17. #13
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,409
    Thanks
    610
    Thanked
    1,623 times in 1,293 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Indeed. The amount of drivel written about Huawei is incredible.

    This is not a debate about security.

  18. Received thanks from:

    cheesemp (30-09-2020),Spud1 (29-09-2020)

  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by chinf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    Yet that hasn't been proven.
    This is all about the US trade war.
    Rather than supporting US business, to make it better he just punishes the competition and artificially raises their prices, and hurts their ability to compete.
    Would you care to prove how just trustworthy the CCP has been in recent years? Perhaps you have no skin in the game, so you don't care or are just ignorant. Some of us are not so lucky.
    Accusing me of ignorance rather than actually coming up with an argument.
    Has the risk actually been proven ? No.
    It is just his word every time someone asks for evidence.
    Is there evidence that existing equipment is either compromised, or able to be ? No.
    You say it is an evaluation to be done over time, yet your mind is clearly made up already with exactly zero evidence.

  20. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,791
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked
    239 times in 172 posts

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    Accusing me of ignorance rather than actually coming up with an argument.
    Has the risk actually been proven ? No.
    It is just his word every time someone asks for evidence.
    Is there evidence that existing equipment is either compromised, or able to be ? No.
    You say it is an evaluation to be done over time, yet your mind is clearly made up already with exactly zero evidence.
    What is most frustrating is people tend to forget that a couple of big american switch and firewall vendors were found to have engineered back doors exposed

    One of them that rhymes with captain sisko and has had more zero day cvss 10.0s in the past 12 months than most other vendors in their lifetime!

  21. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Nokia will replace Huawei kit used for BT / EE mobile networks

    Why so much subservience to US? Why every american whim should be paid by British taxpayers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •