Thread: Intel Fab 42 now ready to pump out leading edge products

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel Fab 42 now ready to pump out leading edge products

News comes as Intel celebrates 40 years of manufacturing in Arizona, US.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Re: Intel Fab 42 now ready to pump out leading edge products

Nice.
    Give me a call when Intel start to make those........ :-)

Sorry couldn't help myself

Thanks

Well I love tech, whether it is INTEL or AMD or NVIDIA... or whatever else... just hope for harsh competetion between each other for good sharp prices and a better market.

Thanks

*leasing edge* ?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    *leasing edge* ?
    Yeah, I was wondering that I presume that the author was trying to say blurring edge?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by will19565 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering that I presume that the author was trying to say blurring edge?
    Leading edge I think... but hey!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

This level of indecision on what is clearly a huge investment announced and planned nearly 10 years ago shows the decrepit, blinkered and arrogant leadership that has plagued this company for a decade.
    I like tech like the post above Intel Amd Nvidia Radeon/AMD Windows Linux all have a part to play. Resting on laurels has cost many original cutting edge innovators their market leadership Microsoft, Sony, Motorola, Yahoo, Blackberry etc, if a cultural sea change isn't initiated and strategy altered then they become the Nokia's, toys r us, Kodaks and Blockbusters of this world.
    Intel is too big to fail currently and heads have rolled but AMD (short) and more importantly ARM (Medium) are on the horizon and they need to re-assert their position quickly with a fresh, clear (b2b) Innovative and trustworthy (b2c) message and technology stack. Somehow I feel unburdened.....

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    *leasing edge* ?
    Perhaps they got their 10nm working by buying a licence to TSMC 7nm

Quote Originally Posted by syristix View Post
    This level of indecision on what is clearly a huge investment announced and planned nearly 10 years ago shows the decrepit, blinkered and arrogant leadership that has plagued this company for a decade.
    TLDR; I think this is yet another casualty of their struggles at 10nm

To be fair, it isn't that long ago that Intel were only knocking out quad cores with lots of spare fab capacity in 14nm and 10nm had no hope of making meaningful money, so holding back was the obvious thing to do. Part of the reason for buying Altera was to use spare fab capacity. But then AMD forced Intel to make chips with more cores and hence bigger die size, and suddenly they don't get enough per wafer at 14nm++++++++++ to satisfy demand.

If they built a 10nm fab for the failing process, and then found in order to fix it they needed to rip half the hardly used and very expensive machinery out for replacement that would be truly bonkers. They had to wait until they could actually make something sell-able on the pilot lines before they could ramp up, and it seems like that is about now.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    But then AMD forced Intel to make chips with more cores and hence bigger die size, and suddenly they don't get enough per wafer at 14nm++++++++++ to satisfy demand.
    That plus the best money-making gig in recent semiconductor history: your historical products lose x% of performance due to security issues and your customers - rather than buying from your competitors - stay with you and buy x% more CPUs to make up the shortfall.
    Win-win-lose (Intel / Intel / big data customers).
    Nobody ever got fired for buying Intel!

10. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (08-10-2020)

Thanks

If I were Intel's CEO, I would quit right now. If I were Intel's shareholder, I would sell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John_Amstrad View Post
    If I were Intel's CEO, I would quit right now. If I were Intel's shareholder, I would sell.
    That would be a financial mistake. They are still making what they were for full year (record probably) and they were making that in jan at $70. The last time they were $43 (the crash on fake new not long ago not withstanding) a few years ago it was at ~11B Net income and far more shares outstanding (a decade ago). They have 23.6B net income now, doubled the company NET income while dropping shared basically every quarter since 2008 (one went up). There's a lot more data to see (try macrotrends.net for 15yrs of data free), but you should get the point. Intel is prepping for war with a mighty fine net income to fight with yearly. There's still room for AMD/Intel to sell out anyway on top chips, so Intel profits won't be going down to $43 income levels (10-11B years ago).

If they grow another billion or two NET by for Q4, then Q1 2022 is $100 (could happen sooner, $70 could come Q1 2021 if income for the full year stays up). Q report should bring the stock below $50 (maybe test 43??) then an even better buy again for the next 15 mo ,or sooner if it pops on reality income is the same for a corona year, vs. last year and predictions of rising next year. Then you roll out and into something else that's down like MU when DDR5 hits+chipsets. As everyone spins down ddr4 (50%) and ups DDR5 to 50%, both will be expensive and margins skyrocket on both sides for a time where they bring in a MINT again (think 14B). Right now is the best time to buy DDR4 while they haven't spun down yet and have a bit of a glut due to intel shorting 10% of the low end. 32GB of decent stuff can be had for $90 easy and less for a bit worse timings etc. BF this stuff will be like stealing almost. Looking for 32GB for 1 or 2 machines if BF has some deals.

Thanks

Oregon. You could say I'm very familiar with that craphole state. We left because we could see what is happening in Portland coming over a decade ago. Companies were leaving too. Democrats ruin everything (well, >1/2 are welfare etc). Now they're ruining where we ran to in AZ. Everyone with enough money to leave is ditching CA, NY, OR, WA, VA (top 3 officials there should be in jail...LOL). The problem is, they come to the GOOD states (about to ruin TX maybe), and still want free crap AGAIN. That isn't how it works morons. EARN IT or GTFO.

Stop sending these dang protestors CHECKS! IF you're starving you go get a job if possible. Signs all over my area hiring with nobody in sight to hire. Nobody can get someone back to work with checks coming that are larger than they were being paid BEFORE corona...DUH! IF you give me 100K while off for my 50K job, yeah, don't expect me to get off the couch either. You inquire about the help signs, the owners just go into a rant about these dang checks keeping them from being able to hire back old workers (they just say sorry, I'm paid more to sit now boss...LOL). Wake up people, go back to work or bankrupt the country. You can't keep printing fake money and handing it out by the trillions. You are devaluing the dollar massively. Here comes inflation...pfft.

Let's hope trump can raise the economy further than before to make up for it, or even he's screwed. Never mind a harris president (Biden is out of his head, 25th amendment by nancy 15mins after they try to steal it for him...ROFL 100mil fake ballots to anonymous users? WTH?), which would destroy all of trumps work pre-corona and then green new deal us to death after. 4T? How? "It will pay for itself as we go"...WTF? No, taking out fracking/oil will bankrupt us and force us to rely on petro dollar for 90% of our energy since wind/solar only makes about 11% of USA needs...ROFLMAO. Idiots. No fossil fuels by...Idiots. We're all going to die in 12yrs blah blah climate change...Idiots. Yeah, I think I was supposed to freeze in the 70's too. Idiots. Now I'm supposed to worry about 1 degree in 50yrs in your "model" when you can't predict the weather for my beach trip today? HAHAHAHAHA...Whatever idiots.

Thread Information