Thread: AMD CPU share over 25 per cent in latest Steam Hardware Survey

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD CPU share over 25 per cent in latest Steam Hardware Survey

Meanwhile VR headset growth has stagnated. Valve Index shortages won't have helped.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD CPU share over 25 per cent in latest Steam Hardware Survey

I can't recommend Intel to anyone right now. Price, performance, perfperwatt and just power useage mean it's a no-brainer

Not that Steam is a great indicator anyhoo as many play on laptops where AMD isn't strong yet
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Surprising to see how much Intel is still dominating despite all the sales figures showing Ryzen's popularity. I guess this shows how important the pre-built and laptop markets are...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huggi View Post
    Surprising to see how much Intel is still dominating despite all the sales figures showing Ryzen's popularity. I guess this shows how important the pre-built and laptop markets are...
    Steam is in no way shape or form a decent indication of cpu sales etc.

See the post about Amazon sales if you want to see a clearer picture of what is happening. I looked a bit ago and there was not one Intel cpu in the top ten

Registered+
    Thanks

A lot of that is historical data. Given how few people upgrade each year this is actually pretty impressive.
    Whilst it might be true for laptop's that is also slowly changing as there are now actually Ryzen laptops.

Thanks

You don't just build a new PC, my current PC is still Intel, but in the next hype, unless Intel actually comes out with something in the same range as AMD and has to be better... then I would go AMD Inside.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Also interesting to see the 3600 has gone up £30 in the last few months, which is quite a percentage. I presume they are selling out while amd are probably busy stockpiling 5000 series. I expect between rising prices and new parts coming out there will be some pent up demand there.

VR headset growth is odd, you haven't been able to buy one since Alyx came out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Also interesting to see the 3600 has gone up £30 in the last few months, which is quite a percentage. I presume they are selling out while amd are probably busy stockpiling 5000 series. I expect between rising prices and new parts coming out there will be some pent up demand there.

VR headset growth is odd, you haven't been able to buy one since Alyx came out.
    Like webcams that have only just come back into stock everywhere...
    Prices of PC hardware generally has been up not down because of stock constraints and this virus thingy

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Like webcams that have only just come back into stock everywhere...
    Prices of PC hardware generally has been up not down because of stock constraints and this virus thingy
    I bought a 3600 in July, well into lockdown, for £159. It dropped a bit after that, to £152, and has since drifted up 20%.

I was hoping to grab a cheap 3000 series for work with the new CPUs coming out, but I don't think I am going to be in luck. I guess if there are only so many 7nm wafer starts, then AMD aren't going to use them on old parts right now. Hopefully they will have a nice replacement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I bought a 3600 in July, well into lockdown, for £159. It dropped a bit after that, to £152, and has since drifted up 20%.

I was hoping to grab a cheap 3000 series for work with the new CPUs coming out, but I don't think I am going to be in luck. I guess if there are only so many 7nm wafer starts, then AMD aren't going to use them on old parts right now. Hopefully they will have a nice replacement.
    Lol Like I said generally up....
    I got a few deals but they have since evaporated and stock has been poor. I got a 2700 just into lockdown for £150 25 hour sale. Not too worried about it being a 2000 series but I love the 8c16t. Replaced a 2600 which is now in missus' gaming pc

Thanks

One of the games I play seems to constantly have forum posts from players using (for lack of a better description) toasters to play the game and basically begging the developers to optimise the game more (it's pretty well optimised) and to keep supporting old tech (now ditching dx10 support) even though they need to get rid of it etc to keep the game 'fresh' etc.

Part of this is likely due to a lot of 'developing' countries now having access to the internet and playing online games with what we see as out dated hardware (often intel due to supply too) due to costs etc in their country.

If they've got access to steam could skew things because the survey doesn't break down into what generation of cpu etc.

Cost is another thing to consider, I'm after a new pc, but I'm holding off if the prices haven't come back down by Christmas/New Year when I intended to get it....I'm likely not alone in this.

Thanks

If you aren't playing the most demanding games, old PCs can last for quite awhile these days. I've been considering upgrading to Ryzen for years, but can't honestly say my Core i5 is a bottleneck, so I've stuck with it. I'd 100% buy AMD if I had to replace it tomorrow, but for now it works perfectly well enough.

That said, the Steam Hardware Survey has always been a little unreliable. They've had methodological errors like not sampling any new PCs that resulted in oddities like Vista's market share appearing to increase after 7's release, questionnaire shortcomings like 8 GB+ of RAM being the top option until it was by far the most popular option, and reporting issues like the how currently 100% of the network results being "unspecified", with the other options ranging from 33.6 Kbps to 10 Mbps. It has some value for broad trends, like AMD gaining market share, but should be taken with a large serving of salt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Core2Extreme View Post
    If you aren't playing the most demanding games, old PCs can last for quite awhile these days. I've been considering upgrading to Ryzen for years, but can't honestly say my Core i5 is a bottleneck, so I've stuck with it. I'd 100% buy AMD if I had to replace it tomorrow, but for now it works perfectly well enough.

That said, the Steam Hardware Survey has always been a little unreliable. They've had methodological errors like not sampling any new PCs that resulted in oddities like Vista's market share appearing to increase after 7's release, questionnaire shortcomings like 8 GB+ of RAM being the top option until it was by far the most popular option, and reporting issues like the how currently 100% of the network results being "unspecified", with the other options ranging from 33.6 Kbps to 10 Mbps. It has some value for broad trends, like AMD gaining market share, but should be taken with a large serving of salt.
    I was the same as you but then took the plunge. Can't believe how slow the old system was, so much so that upgraded the 3 main systems in use here to Ryzen with nvme boot drives

Thanks
    • raygdunn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B365M D3H
      • CPU:
      • water cooled i7 9700
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2666
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb M2 SSD (+Seagate 500Gb hidden round the back)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX1660
      • PSU:
      • 550W 140mm fan
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Prolite 22" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • ~36Mb fibre to cabinet

Interesting to see some relative figures. I'd imagined AMD was higher.

Processor requirements seen to be increasing again after relative stability of a few years, where a graphics card upgrade was sufficient.

I've just plumped for Intel again, after having to use low game settings on my first generation i5. (Poor cooling part of the issue. Time for a new start..)

I'm still influenced by an AMD motherboard incompatibility issue 10+ years back.

Thanks

Would it be correct to wonder where AMD's share will be this time next year?

Given the stutter from NVida, and how much AMD are, if you believe some of the leaks coming out, about to serve NVidia and Intel by the end of this year, I think this time next year they'll have a decent chunk more next year..

I asked the same thing on the Hexus FB page and people didn't seem to get it, am I missing something or do the guys on FB really have that much of a lack of foresight..
    Part of me thinks its just FB being full of the lowest common denominator.

Thanks

So why are they making 660mil on 25% share, while Intel is making 23.6B NET INCOME on 78B revenue and 75% share of x86? As Anand used to say, bad prices.

So now AMD be making ~7B on that 25%. Intel makes ~24B on the other 75%. So divide their stock by about 10, and you have a reasonable price. But wait, they also diluted shares 2x, so 1/2 10, so stock should be $5. But wait, no fabs. assets 1/2 what they were 13yrs ago, land sold off, etc etc. I can build a case base on macrotrends.net data for 15yrs (and a few other sites) that this stick isn't worth $2.50 with income from the same as a decade ago and NOT beating Dec2009 1B+ net income Q since even for a YEAR. Start making a billion a quarter by raising prices across the board next launch or you still won't crack a few billion for the year.

Thread Information