Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: QOTW: Which router do you use?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: Which router do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by jimcumming View Post
    Deleted as decided sharing my network gear on a public forum probably isn't a good idea
    agreed

Thanks

Ran a no-name fanless mobile i7 with 6 Intel lans from China with Sophos UTM for a while - worked great but kept hitting the 50 ip limit on the free version.
    Now running a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro. Works well, but annoyingly missing some feature vs the PC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd2233 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcumming View Post
    Deleted as decided sharing my network gear on a public forum probably isn't a good idea
    agreed
    I don't understand. It's being scanned on the net multiple times an hour/day by script kiddies. Any weakness means you're already owned.

Thanks

A Draytek Vigor 2960, but it might get upgraded in a while if I find that I can get the City Fibre 900meg broadband. It will only let 500Mb through which is fine with the 350Mb we have with Virginmedia we currently have. I have the Virgin Superhub 3 setup as a modem only with the Draytek doing the routing.

Thanks

My router is a pfSense virtual appliance running on Dell PowerEdge server with pci-express passthrough of physical 10Gb-T NIC. The router is fed directly from a Virgin superhub in modem mode. and we have separate access points for Wi-Fi. Bit of a complex setup but very secure and very fast, love it!

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    PC running opnsense. I am using my fritzbox router provided by zen in modem mode as my draytek 130 kept on disconnecting and I haven't had a chance to look in to it yet. Very happy with opnsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by akc1 View Post
    My router is a pfSense virtual appliance running on Dell PowerEdge server with pci-express passthrough of physical 10Gb-T NIC. The router is fed directly from a Virgin superhub in modem mode. and we have separate access points for Wi-Fi. Bit of a complex setup but very secure and very fast, love it!
    I'm surprised given the technical level of this forum there aren't more responses like this.

I switched to pfSense to test something with PPPoE and was surprised at how easy it was to setup, I switched over to it fully in a few hours.

So currently I've got an Openreach modem for FTTC connected directly to my switch on a VLAN which is trunked to my ESXi server (Pentium G4560 PC) which has pfSense on it among other things. Switching performance is more than ample for Internet access and normal LAN activity.

What I really like is that it's allowed me to really up my home LAN security. Combined with a Unifi AP and a RADIUS server allows me to vlan wireless clients easily too. So I've got a guest WiFi network, and another network just for consumer devices which are security problems. Leaving things like my PC nicely isolated away.

If you've got an old PC you can turn into a home-server, I highly recommend it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information