Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,501
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,943 times in 684 posts

    Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Features the new Microsoft Edge and visible updates to the Start Menu and Taskbar.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,944
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked
    423 times in 322 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Well, the "streamlined" Start menu looks interesting. Only actual usage will tell. But it couldn't be much more of an irritating mess than the current setup.

    New version of Edge? Hmmm, maybe. Current one isn't bad, but still not my first choice.

    Most of the rest? A bit "ho-hum, whatever. "
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  3. #3
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked
    119 times in 99 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    I don't see any difference in the new start menu compared with my current one (2004)? Exactly the same layout and icons. Am I missing something with this new start menu?

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    It would be nice if they finally made the Windows desktop properly HDR compatible.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,890
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    94 times in 83 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    I don't see any difference in the new start menu compared with my current one (2004)? Exactly the same layout and icons. Am I missing something with this new start menu?
    Not really, the start menu is primarily a visual refresh (which looks quite nice imo, although not much different to how mine is now due to lack of 'windows 10' coloured icons) and likely as much about heading towards a consistent aesthetic with upcoming windows x as it is 'changes'.

    IIRC there's some other little bits under the hood for things like search/cortana/xbox gaming etc.

    Can't say I like the change to alt+tab so that will be turned off straight away.

  6. #6
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked
    119 times in 99 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Not really, the start menu is primarily a visual refresh (which looks quite nice imo, although not much different to how mine is now due to lack of 'windows 10' coloured icons) and likely as much about heading towards a consistent aesthetic with upcoming windows x as it is 'changes'.

    IIRC there's some other little bits under the hood for things like search/cortana/xbox gaming etc.

    Can't say I like the change to alt+tab so that will be turned off straight away.
    Ah yeah I see what you mean, subtle change. With windows updates at this stage I just have to roll over and take it.

  7. #7
    ilh
    ilh is offline
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Got rid of all the tiles, Cortana and the other crap so mine is as close to a traditional start menu as possible. I don't use Edge but I'd rather not have Alt+Tab polluted by browser tabs, do people not realise you can Ctrl+Tab to cycle through browser tabs when it's focussed?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    27 times in 19 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    My start look like this, and i would NOT have it any other way.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    14 times in 12 posts
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    why can't they bring in a windows 7 theme with aero rather than just polishing this t*rd of an interface?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    9 times in 8 posts
    • Richh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 3200
      • Storage:
      • Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Custom Lubic-based open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate x64 / Win10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG PG279Q, 2x Sony HDTV

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Not sure what the differences are. I still use Classic Start Menu - and way more useful and customisable it is than the Win10 version.
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

  11. #11
    Senior Member AGTDenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    1,715
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked
    285 times in 215 posts
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 980
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Corsair Dominator GT
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1030
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • 10 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • 70MB using BT line

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Maybe I can finally upgrade from 1803... not holding out much hope however.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    why can't they bring in a windows 7 theme with aero rather than just polishing this t*rd of an interface?
    Have a go with Open Shell, gives you options for XP Classic & XP dual column, plus Windows 7.
    Based on the original Classic Shell. I wouldn't bother installing Classic Explorer or Classic Internet Explorer, unless you really want to.

    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...sic_start.html
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 24-10-2020 at 08:40 PM.


    Rigs:
    Main: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer, i7 980, 24GB Corsair Dominator GT, Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs, Asus 1030, Seasonic X-850W, Fractal Design Define R3, 10 x64 Pro, Noctua DH14 + Noctua chassis fans

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    213
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    i upgrade from 1803 to 2004 last week and it is just the same, when you remove all the junk you don't need and install classic shell and uninstalled all the app's and app store with powershell GUI's or command lines, although the monitor doesn't work when coming out of sleep mode, so i have to use hibernate instead

    make a disk image first https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm with boot menu options and rescue discs etc
    Last edited by me-yeah; 26-10-2020 at 08:26 AM.

  13. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,279
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked
    1,238 times in 1,051 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    make a disk image first https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm with boot menu options and rescue discs etc
    Urgh, I had to tussle with that software recently. I tried the trial licence, on start up it said I had 30 days left. I tried using it, and it said my licence had expired. I could have tolerated the clunky Windows 95 style interface, but the data someone else had "backed up" and I was trying to image back onto an SD card, well I now consider that lost. Simple rule: you shouldn't need a licence to restore. Ever. If you just lost your system then your licence could be on a backup, and you need to restore it.

    There seemed to be some sort of boot media creation in there, but my level of trust was shot at that point.


    Back on topic: My Windows VM (I'm typing this in Linux) just updated. The biggest change seems to be the change of naming so it is 20H2 rather than 2009. I guess some would have found "Windows 2009" confusing

  14. #14
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,663
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    477 times in 296 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Urgh, I had to tussle with that software recently. I tried the trial licence, on start up it said I had 30 days left. I tried using it, and it said my licence had expired. I could have tolerated the clunky Windows 95 style interface, but the data someone else had "backed up" and I was trying to image back onto an SD card, well I now consider that lost. Simple rule: you shouldn't need a licence to restore. Ever. If you just lost your system then your licence could be on a backup, and you need to restore it.

    There seemed to be some sort of boot media creation in there, but my level of trust was shot at that point.


    Back on topic: My Windows VM (I'm typing this in Linux) just updated. The biggest change seems to be the change of naming so it is 20H2 rather than 2009. I guess some would have found "Windows 2009" confusing
    It's not that 2009 is confusing it's that they kept missing the month each version was supposed to launch in. If 2009 is delayed till October you look daft, 20H2 means you can launch anytime before January and be fine.

  15. #15
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,279
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked
    1,238 times in 1,051 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    It's not that 2009 is confusing it's that they kept missing the month each version was supposed to launch in. If 2009 is delayed till October you look daft, 20H2 means you can launch anytime before January and be fine.
    I do wonder if there is also an element of "and now we aren't copying Ubuntu's naming scheme"

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,695
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    330 times in 264 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

    Re: Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 update starts to roll out

    Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    i upgrade from 1803 to 2004 last week and it is just the same, when you remove all the junk you don't need and install classic shell and uninstalled all the app's and app store with powershell GUI's or command lines, although the monitor doesn't work when coming out of sleep mode, so i have to use hibernate instead

    make a disk image first https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm with boot menu options and rescue discs etc
    Windows 10 also allows you to image and create rescue disks etc.

    In fact Veeam also offers it - also for free.
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •