Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

Thread: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,003
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,000 times in 706 posts

    Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    In related news, the Xbox Series X storage is so fast that game loading screens can glitch.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    This is what I've been saying all along. Now games are going to be 4k as standard, even the 1TB drive us going to hold only a handful of games.

    They want way over £200 for another 1TB though. It's obvious why they haven't publicised any of this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    100 times in 89 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    They want way over £200 for another 1TB though. It's obvious why they haven't publicised any of this.
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.

  4. #4
    ALT0153™ Rob_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,993
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked
    671 times in 462 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Ars mentions this and does make some statements I'm sure MS won't like. Add on another TB (or 960GB) to the S and you might have well as bought and X (looking at price only here) The S does seem to have a few compromises and I'm not sure if people will skip it and get cheaper last gen or hold out (or don't buy at all) 'new' gen.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,246
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked
    520 times in 387 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.
    Indeed .... but it is one reason why I am unlikely to go for any new XBox. We seem to have a choice of very restricted non-cloud usage, or very expensive. Either way, it doesn't appeal to me. Though both will no doubt sell well.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,661
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    161 times in 136 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.
    Indeed .... but it is one reason why I am unlikely to go for any new XBox. We seem to have a choice of very restricted non-cloud usage, or very expensive. Either way, it doesn't appeal to me. Though both will no doubt sell well.
    Like a lot of things this new gen stuff is expensive. And with games going to be £90 a pop....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,246
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked
    520 times in 387 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    .... And with games going to be £90 a pop....
    Yikes. I need an "eek" the size of a small star.

    That alone warns me off. No way, no how, am I paying £90 for any game, no matter how good. I mean, sure, people will. But no game is worth that to me. Thanks for the warning, 3d.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    100 times in 89 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Indeed .... but it is one reason why I am unlikely to go for any new XBox. We seem to have a choice of very restricted non-cloud usage, or very expensive. Either way, it doesn't appeal to me. Though both will no doubt sell well.
    The last console I actually owned was a sega megadrive II... so it really says a lot about my interest in games consoles in general lol

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London town
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    20 times in 15 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    The extra storage is expensive - as stated above that's because it's PCIv4. Currently, there's only Seagate, but that will open up to other makers so there will be 1TB drives below £100 in the not too distant future.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Jonj1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    673 times in 509 posts
    • Jonj1611's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Carbon Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 1 x 1TB, 1 x 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750W SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster H500
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 28" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Fibre

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Apparently Series S games are smaller than the X series as they don't have 4K textures
    Jon

  11. #11
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,679
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked
    192 times in 133 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Ars mentions this and does make some statements I'm sure MS won't like. Add on another TB (or 960GB) to the S and you might have well as bought and X (looking at price only here) The S does seem to have a few compromises and I'm not sure if people will skip it and get cheaper last gen or hold out (or don't buy at all) 'new' gen.
    I was lucky to get an xbox series X pre-order direct from MS yesterday. Had planned on an S but the double storage and more power for the extra £200 when the cost of storage is so high is a no brainer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Yikes. I need an "eek" the size of a small star.

    That alone warns me off. No way, no how, am I paying £90 for any game, no matter how good. I mean, sure, people will. But no game is worth that to me. Thanks for the warning, 3d.
    I think a large proportion of Xbox Series owners will just be getting game pass anyway. I only picked up a One S about a year ago to try game pass and found it ticked a lot of my boxes. I know you and others will hate the idea of not owning a game but for me being able to try a wide verity of games and not feel guilty when I got bored after an hour is a real boon. I've played a lot of very new games, including lots I'd have never have bought (Ikenfell is a recent example) and I've almost been able to get game pass for free earning Microsoft points. (You can earn them doing bing searches and launching certain game pass games - Its about 10 minutes a day to pick most of them up when I'd be twiddling my thumbs anyway). It actually reduced my games outlay as I use to spend £15+ just on a few games and then not enjoy half of them!
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    The extra storage is expensive - as stated above that's because it's PCIv4. Currently, there's only Seagate, but that will open up to other makers so there will be 1TB drives below £100 in the not too distant future.
    I'm doubtful, regardless that is still far too costly to store a handful of games you've already paid exorbitantly for.

    The cynic in me would say they pushing people to Xcloud, but that would be crazy.....


    I was certain I was getting a Series X, as Microsoft have been on fire, but a few recent things have changed my mind, I'm no longer so sure.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Jonj1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    673 times in 509 posts
    • Jonj1611's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Carbon Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 1 x 1TB, 1 x 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750W SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster H500
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 28" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Fibre

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    I'm doubtful, regardless that is still far too costly to store a handful of games you've already paid exorbitantly for.

    The cynic in me would say they pushing people to Xcloud, but that would be crazy.....


    I was certain I was getting a Series X, as Microsoft have been on fire, but a few recent things have changed my mind, I'm no longer so sure.
    Any games you have already bought for the Xbox one can be run from a standard external hard drive.

    Its only the new made for series s/x games that need to be on internal storage
    Jon

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    They want way over £200 for another 1TB though. It's obvious why they haven't publicised any of this.
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.

    Granted, you can't, but I never said you could. I still feel they are intentionally avoiding this subject, thereby intentionally misleading.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Ars mentions this and does make some statements I'm sure MS won't like. Add on another TB (or 960GB) to the S and you might have well as bought and X (looking at price only here) The S does seem to have a few compromises and I'm not sure if people will skip it and get cheaper last gen or hold out (or don't buy at all) 'new' gen.

    This is a very good point.

  16. #16
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,820
    Thanks
    660
    Thanked
    1,311 times in 1,116 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    I'm doubtful, regardless that is still far too costly to store a handful of games you've already paid exorbitantly for.

    The cynic in me would say they pushing people to Xcloud, but that would be crazy.....
    Isn't the Xbox One now 7 years old? Even just allowing for a 5 year life cycle, by the end of 5 years I expect hard drives to be as relevant as CDs for storage, and PCIe 4 will look dated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •