Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: QOTW: What did you get for Christmas?

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: QOTW: What did you get for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I think it's the rebel in me. I decided years ago that I wasn't getting, or wanting, presents at this time of year. I also decided, separately, that I'm not doing birthdays any more, and made it clear that includes not wanting to be reminded of mine, let alone given anything.

I think it's because I resent the way both are exploited, often using sentimental horsesh...manure, by commercial interests. I mean, I get wishing people a happy birthday, and even sending a message to those I won't physically see, but .... cards? From people I share a house with? Usually both hugely over-priced and excessively naff. Both occasions have turned into, or rather, been turned into, opportunities those commercial interests use to milk us. Please, no.

So, I rebelled. My attitude became "Enough, already".
    Sounds like a very logical argument to me, so I can't fault you for it.

As for the cards, they certainly do seem like a bit of a waste of materials to me most of the time, however there has been the odd few times I have (and might still) buy one for a friend or two because of spotting one that I think would like and wanting to see their reaction to it, but again it's rare.

Two things. Kids are excluded from the above. Let them enjoy getting presents, etc. Adulthood will happen soon enough as it is, anyway.
    I completely understand and agree with that exception too.

Second, I'm quite happy to give presents. Just not, under any circumstances, because it's expected, due to the calendar, be it birthday, Christmas or any other commercially exploited event.
    Completely understandable, with the Boxing Day and January sales immediately following Christmas being a clear example of the commercial exploitation as it implies that people who bought things before Christmas for the event paid more than they really needed to if they had waited.

Whether it was indeed more expensive in the run up would vary of course given the amount of sales around at various times in general these days, with a bit of research required on a case-by-case basis, as it would for the sales after Christmas too.

I guess it all ties in with my detestation for adverts, which is something I've made no secret of round here, over the years. If a company wants to turn me off, advertise at me. If they want to end up embargoed and blacklisted by me, do it again after I've asked them to cease and desist. My local car dealer found that out about me by doing exactly that, at which point I made clear to them that yes, I was buying a new car and, no, not from them. And why.
    I can completely understand that.

Junk mail is obviously a scatter-gun approach anyway, but it certainly makes me more adversarial in my thinking towards the companies in question using it, and thus more likely to avoid them for that reason - assuming that I have any want/need for what they are even advertising in the first place, which isn't usually the case.

I'd be even more adversarial of course if it is specifically to my name rather than being the default 'The Occupier/Householder' type of course, but that doesn't mean I'm a fan of the latter either.

The only exception to this that I am happy with would be the menus popped through the letterbox by local takeaways, although I would of course still make sure to check their Food Hygiene rating before choosing to use them.

There have only been a few times that I have bothered to contact companies to get them to stop junk mail however, I believe the last time they were the sub-prime credit card offer type, that were sending them like clockwork, and they were addressed to me specifically if I recall correctly.

I realise that there is of course the Mailing Preference Service, but junk mail is usually the 'Occupier/Householder' type and thus wouldn't be covered anyway.

I guess this could sound a bit Grinch-like. But not really. I actually like Christmas for the family, and yes, friends elements. But the immense, unrelenting, oppressive and apparently ever-expanding commercial exploitation of it really, really offends me.

Oh, Easter, too. I'm a bit of a choc-aholic. Most of the year. I tend to do an annual choc-withdrawal session, annually, for a few months .... right about the time companies start trying to, metaphorically and literally, shove Easter eggs down my throat. Not what it's about, guys, whether you celebrate it or not.

So, Grinch? Not really. Grumpy Old Man? Yup .... and proud of it.
    I can't fault you there either, especially since after Easter retailers are suddenly eager to sell you their remaining stock of Easter chocolate at a steep discount compared to what they were charging before (like a pack of - or singular - Cadbury Creme Eggs being sold off at something like a tenth of what they were charging before for example if I recall correctly).

I eat much less chocolate as an adult anyway, with it being the occasional thing I might fancy rather than a regular thing. And when I do buy it however, it's more likely to be a store brand as well, with it usually tasting no different to me than the branded ones.

Such as the packs of Asda Caramel Biscuits being their version of Twix and Asda Caramel Chews being their version of Mars Bars - albeit being closer to the 'fun-size' type rather than the full size ones.

I certainly don't think I'd be able to repeat my feat of eating a (if I recall the size correctly) 5Kg Cadbury's Dairy Milk within one week.

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (27-12-2020)

Thanks

Samsung ultra wide monitor 5120 x 1440 and it's awesome but might suffer from neck ache !!

Registered+
    Thanks

A bike ride on an icy road

Registered+
    Thanks

Scale

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information