Thread: LG intros the 32-inch UHD UltraFine 32EP950 OLED monitor

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

LG intros the 32-inch UHD UltraFine 32EP950 OLED monitor

This is the first time LG has brought its OLED tech to PC monitors – what does it offer?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: LG intros the 32-inch UHD UltraFine 32EP950 OLED monitor

Whilst I do use a LG B9 for my PC, I'm not sure I'd want to use one as an out and out monitor just yet in regards to panel dedrigation.

Also seems that this isn't bright enough to actually meet the Ultra HD Premium spec of 540nits brightness for OLED?

https://displayhdr.org/#tab-400-true-black

Will need to see more, but given LG are going to be doing a 42" OLED as well, this (32") could well land in no mans land.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Interesting, i'll be keeping an eye on this as they develop

I'm curious if they have found a way to deal with image retention when these are used with a Windows taskbar 12 hour a day. Maybe that is part of why they didn't really bother with HDR (HDR400 doesn't count!) - if the brightness has an impact? Not sure.

I'm a fan of OLEDs in general, and from an image POV I think it's a nice step up from VA. One to keep an eye on!

In a few years, hopefully we'll have a nice 34" ultrawide OLED panel, with G-Sync, DP2.0 and/or HDMI 2.1. That's the dream!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

I'm curious if they have found a way to deal with image retention when these are used with a Windows taskbar 12 hour a day. Maybe that is part of why they didn't really bother with HDR (HDR400 doesn't count!) - if the brightness has an impact? Not sure.

I'm a fan of OLEDs in general, and from an image POV I think it's a nice step up from VA. One to keep an eye on!

In a few years, hopefully we'll have a nice 34" ultrawide OLED panel, with G-Sync, DP2.0 and/or HDMI 2.1. That's the dream!
    It's not possible to solve the image retention issue with OLED, there are things you can do on a PC to mitigate it and yes OLED brightness levels do count.
    * auto hide taskbar
    * switch OS to dark mode (black pixel = off)
    * video wallpaper or none at all
    * screensaver on short timer

Person buying this kind of display likely has a multi-display setup with the OLED only used for specific jobs.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Auto hide taskbar + black wallpaper and any icons middle of the screen is what I've done to minimise wear. There isn't anyway around OLED wear due to how it works.

Saying that there are conflicting takes on whether brightness does impact life span.

I think for desktop/work use the actual best solution is going to be a Mini/MicroLED solution if you're after good blacks and no wear problems.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

The infinite contrast is what will separate this from LCD. The fact it's "only" HDR-400 won't make that much difference, it's still going to look amazing. People get WAYYYY too hung up on brightness. Yes it matters, but contrast matters more, and when you combine infinite contrast and per pixel illumination, LCD is just left in the dust.

I strongly suspect the brightness has been lowered in order to increase the lifespan and mitigate the risk of burn-in, but it REALLY doesn't matter as much as people think. What matters is the as yet unannounced refresh rate and price of this particular monitor.
    Last edited by atomicus; 12-01-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    I think for desktop/work use the actual best solution is going to be a Mini/MicroLED solution if you're after good blacks and no wear problems.

Mini-LED and Micro-LED are two very different technologies, the latter of which we won't be seeing in PC monitors for a loooong time. Mini-LED we will, but it still won't hold a candle to OLED for its per pixel illumination and inifnite contrast.

For mixed use, i.e lots of static work based use-case scenarios, Mini-LED may be the best option, but it's yet to properly materialise and the handful of monitors with it on the horizon have insane price tags... although so will this OLED I suspect.

For a pure gaming set-up though, OLED is going to look the best, although no refresh rate has been announced for this model, so if it ends up at 60Hz, that's far from optimal. There's a concern with burn-in if someone is playing the same game, day in, day out, but for the average gamer it won't be an issue.
    Last edited by atomicus; 13-01-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    • Solex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel X5670
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair Dominators
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 950 NVMe & 6TB of drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus 6GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475 & HP ZR24w

If this monitor can do 4k 120hz+ it will be a great gaming monitor.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yea shame on the limit but we are heading in the right direction with monitors in the last two years.

Registered+
    Thanks

Samsung all the way

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RedDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-3770k
      • Memory:
      • 2x4G Samsung Green 1600
      • Storage:
      • 5xSata HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GT240 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Auto hide taskbar + black wallpaper and any icons middle of the screen is what I've done to minimise wear. There isn't anyway around OLED wear due to how it works.
    I use a black desktop with no wallpaper so a total black screen, plus auto hide the taskbar and DesktopOK (freeware) to save icon locations and it has an option to autohide the desktop icons giving a totally black screen except for the cursor. Gaming could cause some problems though.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by atomicus View Post
    The infinite contrast is what will separate this from LCD. The fact it's "only" HDR-400 won't make that much difference, it's still going to look amazing. People get WAYYYY too hung up on brightness. Yes it matters, but contrast matters more, and when you combine infinite contrast and per pixel illumination, LCD is just left in the dust.
    It depends on your use case. As others have mentioned - this is definitely more of a "pro" display where colour accuracy etc matter - its not really intended for gaming/home use.

Brightness absolutely does matter when it comes to HDR - displays with a HDR400 certification simply cannot product a good HDR picture - if they could, they would be rated higher when it went through the process. It's pure marketing rubbish, equivalent to the "HD Ready" TVs that could barely product a 720p picture.

Look at the HDR quality of the early "HDR Capable" OLED TVs vs say a 2018 model and the difference is striking, all because of the brightness.

If they have not solved the screen burn issues then this will not be a gaming display - too many compromises on a screen that costs that kind of money VA seems to still be the best option for gaming at the moment if you want that high contrast, IPS if you don't, and TN if you are on a budget.

Still, its nice to have options right and I don't want to this to come over as me hating on OLED - I think its a great tech that provides some of the best images i've seen on a screen...just needs to be used int he right situation

Thread Information