Thread: Dasung Paperlike 25-inch eInk monitor tipped for 2021 release

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Dasung Paperlike 25-inch eInk monitor tipped for 2021 release

Display has 3200 x 1800 pixels and can reproduce 16 shades of grey.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Dasung Paperlike 25-inch eInk monitor tipped for 2021 release

It could be a good product IMO. Would be interested in power usage, and cost would need to decrease too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loftie View Post
    It could be a good product IMO. Would be interested in power usage, and cost would need to decrease too.
    Chicken and egg springs to mind. Cost is prohibitive but unless people splash out the cost will remain high
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

A little bit too much for a huge kindle, but probably perfect for text editing

Thanks

I can see a use case for someone who does a lot of text on screen, say an author for example, but that price is far too high, especially without a backlight so no 'night time' usage... would I get one though, nope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I can see a use case for someone who does a lot of text on screen, say an author for example, but that price is far too high, especially without a backlight so no 'night time' usage... would I get one though, nope.
    I agree, its too expensive at the moment to justify it over an OLED.
    Also Colored Paperlike would be better for coding

But its good to see fresh air on the monitor market

Registered+
    Thanks

Hopefully enough corporates will buy in to these that the prices come down, I'd love a second screen that was e-ink, perfect for web browsing and coding!

Thanks

I'm surprised nobody makes a lower resolution (but also bigger than 13 inch) e-ink display intended for portrait-mode use. Greyscale portrait CRTs were big in desktop publishing in the 90s.

chj
    Thanks
    • chj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • SATA SSD/HDD combo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GTX 780Ti

I'd be interested in how fast the display can update as, like mentioned in the article, ebook displays are painfully slow. It's a niche display I wish I'd have a good reason for but I do really like the paperlike quality of ebook displays

Registered+
    Thanks

same here, I really don't see what the market is for this (at least for the home user). These e-ink have notoriously poor refresh rates, they maybe useful for office or display/signage environments but with so many people working from home I just cant understand it. Why you would purchase this over a standard monitor, just 25 inches and then there is the price.

Registered+
    Thanks

High price is expected as a leader. In time though, with it being a niche within a niche it won't have the scale so it will still be a little expensive but of course the price will drop to a point where consumers like us who have an interest in these slightly out there techs might be convinced to nab it on a sale. I could see it being adopted mainly by companies to increase productivity due to the reduced eye strain. Hmm, maybe it does have the scale once it's commonplace at screen oriented companies and people learn more about its benefits on a larger screen. Add in some range of colour eventually and it's a little more exciting proposition too.

Thanks

I am a huge fan of e-ink .... for the right device. They have made a massive difference to my ability (in recent years) to be able to read, continuously, for hours without either eyestrain or headache. Which tells me that the strain and headaches I was getting before were screen-relared. Or at least, strongly impies that. After all, my eyes aren't improving as the years pass.

But, for my uses, I'm not seeing it as practical at that size. Even as aprofessional writer (before more or less retiring) my workflow didn't need this, and unless they've fixed refresh issues with e-ink, it'd be a non-starter fr me.

Then there's the suggested price. No, just .... no.

It would have to offer a very consideable advantage over a good colour panel to get me to even consider that, and I'm not seeing it (pun intended).

Now, I did say "for my uses". I struggle to see it for most other people too, but ... that might be my perception.

A (good) 16-million colour e-ink screen at that price? Sign me up right now. But this? I wish them well, but don't see it for me or for beyond niche use.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm just happy to see it come to market and will keep it in the back of my mind until the price has lowered across the board.

Thread Information