Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,850
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,998 times in 704 posts

    Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Short video clip appears to indicate news on; RTX 30 (& mobile), SAM-alike tech, and Outriders.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    I am sorry to be defeatist, but what is the point of announcing all these very exciting development and new products when we are physically unable to get hold of them.. Both Nvidia and AMD have have produced some really exciting products in the last 6 months but we cant' buy them :-(

  3. #3
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,208
    Thanks
    1,690
    Thanked
    3,131 times in 2,532 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by SkywalkerLuke View Post
    I am sorry to be defeatist, but what is the point of announcing all these very exciting development and new products when we are physically unable to get hold of them.. Both Nvidia and AMD have have produced some really exciting products in the last 6 months but we cant' buy them :-(
    It's frustrating, but they wouldn't do it if there wasn't some advantage to keeping their brand/products in the spotlight. It might simply be so that when you are next buying something you subconsciously see it has something nVidia in it and go 'oh, they showed some neat stuff recently, I'll go for that one'.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    27 times in 13 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Maybe nvidia need to run with a #dontgiveup tag.

    I was one of the lucky ones to snag a 3080FE in the 10am sale in the week before Christmas. Think they were actually on sale for a couple of minutes because they caught everyone off-guard.

    Fortunately I've little interest in a 3080ti as the 3080FE is the absolute largest card that will fit in my case. Getting the heat out is proving challenging (undervolted to 270W already).

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    About the only useful announcement they could make is "there will be no more availability issues and our 3000 series GPUs will be available to buy for everyone worldwide from tomorrow"...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,580
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    148 times in 126 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by naturbo2000 View Post
    Maybe nvidia need to run with a #dontgiveup tag.

    I was one of the lucky ones to snag a 3080FE in the 10am sale in the week before Christmas. Think they were actually on sale for a couple of minutes because they caught everyone off-guard.

    Fortunately I've little interest in a 3080ti as the 3080FE is the absolute largest card that will fit in my case. Getting the heat out is proving challenging (undervolted to 270W already).
    Just me but with that amount of cash you could surely get a better case
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,121
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked
    1,216 times in 1,117 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    btw there's some bad news rumours on the laptop models, with the 30series nvidia basically pushed the numbers higher by pushing wattage up, not saying the cards are slow but they are not much better than the 20series in performance per watt, and that's a big issue for mobile cards when you're very current limited.
    On top of that rumours are that's they are going to be cut down chips https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nv...ad-of-ces-2021 so it looks like the days of laptop&desktop gpu's having parity are over and it's back to laptops being cut down and misleading

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Aberlour, NE Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    27 times in 26 posts
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    They can't even supply any cards that they have already released so what's the point in launching more cards that nobody will be able to buy?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    27 times in 13 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Just me but with that amount of cash you could surely get a better case
    You'd think I'd be running more than a 650W CPU, yet here we are

    Trouble is the case is the still gorgeous In Win 901. Yes it's due for replacement...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    27 times in 13 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    btw there's some bad news rumours on the laptop models, with the 30series nvidia basically pushed the numbers higher by pushing wattage up, not saying the cards are slow but they are not much better than the 20series in performance per watt, and that's a big issue for mobile cards when you're very current limited.
    It's not quite that bad, but nvidia certainly did jack up the voltage and power requirements, be it for yield or whatever.
    I can voltage+boost tune my 3080 back to be the same result as stock but at 275W and that seems fairly typical. I can turn it down to 2080ti levels at around 210W. But that's hand tuned, so I can believe they're actually pretty similar performance per watt (I don't have 2080ti undervolt data to compare).

    But I don't see anything to suggest they'll be able to keep desktop 3080 performance in a laptop. I don't really see anything to suggest the best is going to be improved over 20series. But the marketing machine is clearly going to want a 080 chip...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    2020 created a lot of problems, along with AMD launching new Ryzen line, GPUs and Consoles within a short period of time.

    Despite this, the issues with stock / paper launches and fake rrp go a fair way back.

    It's a shame the review sites stick by their marketing shenanigans, rather than review based on ACTUAL availability and pricing.

    I'm aware there are various factors affecting pricing and availability, but I'm also aware of both sides giving false dates and lower prices for review dates, in order to pre-empt the others launch.

    Often availability and pricing is months past the "launch"

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by SkywalkerLuke View Post
    I am sorry to be defeatist, but what is the point of announcing all these very exciting development and new products when we are physically unable to get hold of them.. Both Nvidia and AMD have have produced some really exciting products in the last 6 months but we cant' buy them :-(
    It does leave a bit of a sour taste if they do go on to launch further new products when the ones from 4 months ago still can't be readily purchased!

  13. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    The optimist in me thinks that before they announce any new products they will address the current issue with the existing product. They're not naive enough to not know about the issue.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kovoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked
    30 times in 25 posts
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Formula IX
      • CPU:
      • i7 7700k cooler H105
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair 3200mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX2070 super
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus TUF 32inch curved 165mhz and a 32 Samsung
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Seriously why do they even bother.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,121
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked
    1,216 times in 1,117 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    Quote Originally Posted by naturbo2000 View Post
    It's not quite that bad, but nvidia certainly did jack up the voltage and power requirements, be it for yield or whatever.
    I can voltage+boost tune my 3080 back to be the same result as stock but at 275W and that seems fairly typical. I can turn it down to 2080ti levels at around 210W. But that's hand tuned, so I can believe they're actually pretty similar performance per watt (I don't have 2080ti undervolt data to compare).

    But I don't see anything to suggest they'll be able to keep desktop 3080 performance in a laptop. I don't really see anything to suggest the best is going to be improved over 20series. But the marketing machine is clearly going to want a 080 chip...
    That's the point from the 900 series, 1000 and 2000 series the mobile versions had similar performance to the desktop cards, however they've not managed to reduce the performance per watt much over to 2000series, the performance gains over the 2000 series has come from cramming in more cores and pushing more current in, however if the rumours are correct then these laptop versions have fewer cores and are going to be power limited

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Nvidia teases several GeForce RTX Game On announcements

    The announcement turned out a bit underwhelming! And not sure I see the sense in a 12gb 3060!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •