Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malware found on free laptops for UK's vulnerable children

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Malware found on free laptops for UK's vulnerable children

And these '£100 value' GeoBook 1E laptops cost the tax payer over £200 each.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Malware found on free laptops for UK's vulnerable children

Don't worry. The Trumpian Conservative party will simply hand billions to another backer who's business expertise is in plumbing to sort this one out.

You get what you vote for.

3. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-01-2021),neonplanet40 (25-01-2021),Otherhand (26-01-2021),Ozaron (26-01-2021),Pleiades (25-01-2021),wazzickle (25-01-2021)

Thanks

^^This. And wow, what idiot in the Govt wrote the specs? "Processor - Intel or AMD Integrated Graphics" - yeah, that won't get abused at all.

Also I guess Win 10 Home is the same as Pro Education! Yikes.

The specs on this thing is atrocious. Celeron... well, that's a lot more of our money going to the Tories' chums.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

5. Received thanks from:

Otherhand (26-01-2021),Pleiades (25-01-2021)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

You would think that things would be checked thoroughly before being sent out, especially given their intended destination, but this would suggest otherwise in this case.

I bet many companies love government contracts, as it seems that they never have to offer actual value for money and (in many cases) can even cost more than they were meant to, and even then there is the possibility of still failing to actually deliver the intended outcome.

I'm not saying that is actually the case for all companies, but with stories like these and the news reports you always hear about government contracts over the years, it does make you wonder if there is value for money being gained anywhere.

And while I am not saying that it is because of party donations that companies are subsequently picked for government contracts, the circumstances can't help but provide that avenue of speculation.

Thanks
    • davesom555's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2600@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME + multiple 2.5" SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 700w
      • Case:
      • NZXT H400i mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" QHD 144mhz
      • Internet:
      • 200mb

The name Computacenter says it all.

Registered+
    Thanks

This seems like blatant corruption when they give tax money to a company that is owned by a major Conservative party donor. This is like when the Health Secretary give his local pub landlord a contract worth £30M to supply PPE when he was never in that business in the first place.

9. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (25-01-2021),Otherhand (26-01-2021),Pleiades (25-01-2021)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Is anyone surprised with the clowns currently in charge that the deliverables are poorly briefed/spec'd and then poorly executed? I'd be more surprised if the headline was "government scheme nails it and performs better than required, on time and within budget".

11. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-01-2021),cokker (26-01-2021),Otherhand (26-01-2021),Pleiades (25-01-2021)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Looks like the typical response from this government - how cheaply can we do 'something' to make us look like we care while enriching our mates. (My wifes 6 or 7 year old 2in1 laptop is similar specs to this and cost £200 back then...)
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

13. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (25-01-2021)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Is anyone surprised with the clowns currently in charge that the deliverables are poorly briefed/spec'd and then poorly executed? I'd be more surprised if the headline was "government scheme nails it and performs better than required, on time and within budget".
    Aircraft carrier project? They learnt from all the expensive screw ups with the Type 45s....

Giving the other side of the argument perhaps, you are asking for a huge number of laptops, quickly and at a time of peak demand and component shortage. You're going to pay a lot more. Additionally, what is included in that cost? Is it just the hardware or is there some support, software, etc in there as well? The government website says that a software package can be installed and that needs specifying at the time of order - so is this included in the cost or not?

Yep the specs are terrible, but they'll do the job using cheap and available parts. They aren't meant to be performance machines, but the minimum viable spec to get kids through the next few months.

That's not necessarily what I think, but it's considering the other side rather than just raging when we only have surface level detail.

The PPE rant above - lots of companies which weren't in PPE manufacture in the first place are now churning it out. Surface level detail makes this sound ridiculous when there is surely more to it.

Another example of this kind of thing from recent US politics is "Biden reverses Trump executive order reducing the cost of epi-pens and insulin". That is all I've heard of it, but I'm assuming he's not a monster and there's a good reason for it, rather than going "DEMON!"

Another consideration with donors is that, even if they were blind to who was and wasn't a donor, they'd eventually give contracts to donors. The question that I think needs asking is whether a particular government issues more contracts to donors than any other recent Tory government. It is the rich people who make significant contributions to parties. Certainly to the Tories as their policies promote large business. Labour gets its cash from trade unions, and it is infuriating that to get representation at work you have to be supporting political activism (you can check a box on application but it's obvious how they work around it) in any way. Regardless, they'll end up with fewer big business donors and so it's hard to compare one government to all governments.

Example : Biden recently axed this pipeline contract. The oil is still coming in by train (obviously in lower volume and there's a lot of other considerations). The train company is owned by a large Biden donor. How much effect did the presence of the donor have on this decision? Or did the decision land the donations? All that is a huge question in itself. But all you have to say is "oh yeh, the pipline gets cancelled and a Biden donor has the contract to bring in the oil by train" and it sounds awful.

No offence but there's more to this than the surface level figures.

15. Received thanks from:

Spud1 (26-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 567 View Post
    This seems like blatant corruption when they give tax money to a company that is owned by a major Conservative party donor. This is like when the Health Secretary give his local pub landlord a contract worth £30M to supply PPE when he was never in that business in the first place.
    lol as if that sort of thing goes on, what conspiracy theory is this....

Registered+
    Thanks

I think its less about what the government could afford and more about what they could get ahold of. Imagine a post brexit government proceeding to not buy 800,000 laptops from within the UK. I'd imagine Computacenter (go back to 1985 please) probably dictated a lot of the price/performance for a stupid profit, knowing the government would just pay.

Thanks

eMMC 32GB/64GB - I just HOPE that they're 64gb, otherwise the next version of Windows 10 will fill the drive and most people won't know what to do.

19. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PlusNomad View Post
    I think its less about what the government could afford and more about what they could get ahold of. Imagine a post brexit government proceeding to not buy 800,000 laptops from within the UK. I'd imagine Computacenter (go back to 1985 please) probably dictated a lot of the price/performance for a stupid profit, knowing the government would just pay.
    This. It's about supply and demand.

I know you've all got your technical heads on saying wow what a s**t cpu I could have got a better computer for quicker, (I was in this camp too), but could you have got 100,000 of them within a short time frame? The government were caught between a rock and a hard place, people criticise no matter what they do - they could have got 1 million decent specced laptops in a decent timeframe but people would still criticise.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

This has got to be the most blatantly corrupt kleptocratic government in the history of this country. How they're still in power, let alone not behind bars, is utterly beyond me. Brexit could be the biggest ever fraud perpetrated on a western country. Anyone who identifies themselves as a Tory - specifically supporting this government - can go diagf.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Knowing what we know about this government - eg, giving out a shipping contract to a friend of a ministers company without them having any ships, and the most recent 500% profit margin on a paltry amount of food for starving kids, again going to a mate - it would be extremely rose-tinted to assume that this was just a case of a private company bilking the taxpayer while the government hold their hands up and say 'nothing we could do'. They are actively taking every penny they can out of the taxpayer, they're doing it in plain sight, and the working class will keep on voting for them, because the right-wing media are in their pockets too.

23. Received thanks from:

cheesemp (26-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    Knowing what we know about this government - eg, giving out a shipping contract to a friend of a ministers company without them having any ships, and the most recent 500% profit margin on a paltry amount of food for starving kids, again going to a mate - it would be extremely rose-tinted to assume that this was just a case of a private company bilking the taxpayer while the government hold their hands up and say 'nothing we could do'. They are actively taking every penny they can out of the taxpayer, they're doing it in plain sight, and the working class will keep on voting for them, because the right-wing media are in their pockets too.
    You do realise Labour do this too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information