Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intel Alder Lake mobile CPU with 14 cores spotted

Thanks

Re: Intel Alder Lake mobile CPU with 14 cores spotted

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    But this is why/where and how Windows is lagging behind. I'm not worried about it per se but I agree it means a total shift in how the scheduler will work. I'm sure we can all remember the scheduler issues when Ryzen first came out and this is another of those things. Intel *seem* to be trying to do something that isn't on the surface required or even asked for. If now is ever the time that Linux laptops should start to become appealing I can't when they will ever get that chance. I was out of Linux tweaking for a few years but have built myself a Xubuntu server for livestreaming. If I didn't need some Windows software I'd be very tempted to go all Linux right now
    This is very different to normal CPU scheduling. See: https://twitter.com/IanCutress/statu...80972552560642 for more discussion on the matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    This is very different to normal CPU scheduling. See: https://twitter.com/IanCutress/statu...80972552560642 for more discussion on the matter.
    Of course it. So I'll say it again, why is Intel going down this route unless they are keeping the instructions the same and just making lower powered cores? Unless they aren't interested in Windows based systems with this chip or it's just a knee jerk reply to Apple, both of which seem desperate in the least
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

That's what I'm wondering too. It seems like a lot of complexity for what could be fairly limited payoff. There must be *some* incentive for them to do it, and perhaps it appearing on desktop is just incidental if it shares silicon with e.g. mobile. I don't expect the small cores would use much space on the die.

I'm not sure what they'd be targeting if not Windows though. About all I can think of is ChromeOS in the consumer space? Unless I'm overlooking something.

And I don't see it as any sort of knee-jerk; firstly the timescale building to this if you also factor in Lakefield - this has been in development for a long time (hence why knee-jerk in general is pretty unlikely in general the CPU sector, given development time spanning years). Second, what would they gain from it? If you mean in terms of Apple contracts, that ship has sailed.

Thanks

".....If you mean in terms of Apple contracts, that ship has sailed." But wouldn't be nice if you see a comparable M1 in X86 format powering the likes of Spectre or Legion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    That's what I'm wondering too. It seems like a lot of complexity for what could be fairly limited payoff. There must be *some* incentive for them to do it, and perhaps it appearing on desktop is just incidental if it shares silicon with e.g. mobile. I don't expect the small cores would use much space on the die.

I'm not sure what they'd be targeting if not Windows though. About all I can think of is ChromeOS in the consumer space? Unless I'm overlooking something.

And I don't see it as any sort of knee-jerk; firstly the timescale building to this if you also factor in Lakefield - this has been in development for a long time (hence why knee-jerk in general is pretty unlikely in general the CPU sector, given development time spanning years). Second, what would they gain from it? If you mean in terms of Apple contracts, that ship has sailed.
    When I say knee jerk I'm thinking back when Apple said " if you can't supply us with a decent low power cpu we're gonna make our own"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    ".....If you mean in terms of Apple contracts, that ship has sailed." But wouldn't be nice if you see a comparable M1 in X86 format powering the likes of Spectre or Legion?
    Erm how? Part of the issue with X86 is that it doesn't lend itself to low power. AMD have some great 15w chips when the M1 is 18-20w depending on who you ask. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of SBC's with decent chipsets on them - but ARM Windows was so pants there is no point. This is the issue. Heck get a Raspberry Pi400 - it comes with everything for £100 including an ok mouse and keyboard. There are SBC's around that run X86 with nvme drive adaptors but when the performance isn't as good as a laptop at say £300 what's the point. People just want something, turn it on and it work. If someone could get a half decent laptop with a decent ARM based chip in it and a falvour of Linux.... oh wait that's exactly what Apple have done

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmm, question is how will AMD respond?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Blue000 View Post
    Hmm, question is how will AMD respond?
    I imagine like this:

They have the superior product and can kind of just point to what they're already providing and say more true cores, and better.

Thanks

Well it seems the question about ISA incompatibility between the cores has been answered. AVX-512 gets disabled: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16881...rchitectures/5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information