Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bitcoin surpassed the US$50,000 valuation milestone on Tuesday

Thanks

Re: Bitcoin surpassed the US$50,000 valuation milestone on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Just that GPUs *were* possible to buy before this crypto bubble. Not all GPUs, the ones just released well that's just supply and demand. But now it seems I can only get GT710 type cards, which don't have displayport connectors, can't drive three monitors. I'm a tad frustrated by this, you can probably tell
    I feel for you there. I have a GTX680 and currently running 2 monitors from it. I waited for for the 20 series cards and when they arrived it was all about ray tracing I gave the entire generation a hard pass. When the 3080 was announced, I was all over it, only to discover that they were all taken by scalpers. Now I'm pretty much resigned to waiting another year for AM5 sockets and the next gen cards. Fingers crossed.

But yeah, I'm aware of the lightning network, that isn't exactly new and I have been following this stuff for a long time. Bitcoin *used* to be meant for payment, that was the enthusiasm in the early days, it just never lived up to the hype.
    Lightning is still in beta. However this year a lot of big names are both adopting it and ploughing money into it, including some of the biggest exchanges and financial heavyweights. I watched an interview with Abby Johnson a few months where she brought it up as an area they are focusing on.

Bitcoin / it's network are very much like the internet 20+ years ago. There's so much more to come from this space.

and yet there are reports of mining operations in Iran building their own generator plants, just for the mining operations. That's clearly not "spare" energy, it is a carbon footprint devoted to bitcoin at a time we are supposed to be cutting back.

But hey, the quants are having a field day. But then they would because it's all just money to them, nothing really re-invented at all.
    There are always the exceptions. But mining Bitcoin is all about cost vs return. Your main costs are the ASICs and your electricity (to cool and power). In general you need cheap renewable / otherwise wasted power to be competitive, especially in Iran where your cooling costs are going to be exponentially more than Siberia!

And as price pulls back in the next bear cycle all those inefficient miners paying top-dollar for electric, using older inefficient ASICs and needing excessive cooling, will be wiped out. And the difficulty level will simply adjust.

Registered+
    Thanks

With the current mining returns almost halving int he space of 2 weeks, a lot of new to market miners may think twice before piling into scalp priced RTX cards as the ROI has now gone up to close to 200days. This may help dampen pricing and demand, really depends on supply side fixes now imo.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Alloys's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
      • CPU:
      • i7 9700k
      • Memory:
      • 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Corsair Dominator Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 x WD SN750 1TB NVMe SSD, 1 x Crucial MX500 2TB SATA SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GamingPro RTX 3090
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 850
      • Case:
      • Sahara P35

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand79 View Post
    With the current mining returns almost halving int he space of 2 weeks, a lot of new to market miners may think twice before piling into scalp priced RTX cards as the ROI has now gone up to close to 200days. This may help dampen pricing and demand, really depends on supply side fixes now imo.
    Only set to get worse to be honest! While CNY is over and supply is resuming the demand for everything everywhere is only getting worse and supply can't keep up. Heck even sending a parcel next day in UK can take 3-4 days because of logistical issues.

Banned
    Thanks
    Eventually NVIDiA will win

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    And yet they have tagged it #gaming. Pretty awful if you ask me
    NVIDiA is winning....
    Last edited by kalniel; 02-03-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

and now the retraction continues:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57169726

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information