Thread: Intel Rocket Lake hard launch tipped for Monday 15th March

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel Rocket Lake hard launch tipped for Monday 15th March

And the same Hong Kong-based source says that ADL-S delivers a 20 per cent IPC uplift.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Intel Rocket Lake hard launch tipped for Monday 15th March

if you can afford a i9-11900K why would you want to know the gaming improvement over a 5900x at 1080p? makes no sense to me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitalreload View Post
    if you can afford a i9-11900K why would you want to know the gaming improvement over a 5900x at 1080p? makes no sense to me
    Probably because the performance gap reduces as the resolution increases and 1080p is the lowest (respectable) resolution they can get away with to show they're 'better'...

Thanks

Note, that's a 20% IPC uplift over Skylake and not over Comet Lake which will be around 15%, still a decent allotment increase but it frustrates me when media outlets let Intel get away with shoddy marketing. They're not wrong, but it's disingenuous at best.

Thanks

All very pointless. 1) You won't be able to buy one. 2) If you sell a kidney and get one then you can't get a decent current generation graphics card to go with it. 3) If you made it this far then irony would kick in and motherboards would be out of stock.

I also agree that buying a processor like this to play games at 1080p seems extremely unlikely.

Just add this to list of other stuff we would love, but can't buy. Ryzen, Radeon, GeForce, PS5, X-Box, etc.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Note, that's a 20% IPC uplift over Skylake and not over Comet Lake which will be around 15%, still a decent allotment increase but it frustrates me when media outlets let Intel get away with shoddy marketing. They're not wrong, but it's disingenuous at best.
    The source states Alder Lake's Golden Cove cores will provided 20% IPC over Tiger Lake's Willow Cove cores. Comet Lake uses Skylake cores.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    and offer up to a 20 per cent IPC uplift compared to Tiger Lake's Willow Cove cores. Secondly, the small Gracemont cores will perform on a par to Skylake, it says. Last but not least, its 10nm Enhanced SuperFin 'big-LITTLE' architecture will help Intel reduce power consumption by 15 per cent compared with existing SuperFin chips.
    Rocket Lake looks like another steaming hot disappointment and there's a lot of fantasy numbers going on wrt Alder Lake. Judging performance this far out from launch is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JayN View Post
    The source states
    Yeah?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

Interesting final sentence, despite the article it links to starting with "Anecdotal reports". Can't say I've been looking that much but looking at Microcenter in the US, my local midwestern store has 23 5600X CPUs in stock (with a 1 per customer limit) for $300. But they're also selling the 10600K for $190.
    Right now it's a no-brainer for me that the Intel CPU is the better option on bang-per buck at those prices (and in fairness, the 11600K at a likely $260 still wouldn't be worth the extra).

Yes I'm not counting the motherboard - but that depends on use case. For me, there's mATX options that have everything I need - there's nothing AMD based with the feature set I'm after.

The bigger problem for me is that for any Zen2/3 CPU you either have to get a GPU, buy an OEM only 4000 series APU, or drop back to Zen/Zen+ APU and pay a massive premium over the RRP. There's no way I'm paying $220 for a Ryzen 3200G or even $180 for a 2200G (current Amazon US prices).

Since my newbuild is replacing an empty space on my desk, going Intel just makes the most sense as I can at least get everything except a GPU and still use the PC. That's just not a sensible option on AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post
    All very pointless. 1) You won't be able to buy one. 2) If you sell a kidney and get one then you can't get a decent current generation graphics card to go with it.
    Intel tends to ramp up faster than AMD have managed with Ryzen 5000. As see my point above, you can use most Intel CPUs without a GPU, only the F suffixed models won't work. The only options on AMD are both old and massively overpriced at the moment.

Thread Information