Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,822
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,997 times in 703 posts

    Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    It will cost you CAD$150 more than a 5600X, but $150 less than a 5800X system.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    93 times in 79 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    I wonder why they didn't go with 5700X

  3. #3
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    30,593
    Thanks
    3,522
    Thanked
    4,864 times in 3,757 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I wonder why they didn't go with 5700X
    Because AMD can sell the Ryzen 7 5800X for more money?? Also they can have more relaxed binning requirements too.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Well, you don't really need a thousand SKUs with subtle differences in the same price bracket, they might not even have enough defective dies for that. Confusopolies are bad enough as they are.

  5. #5
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,650
    Thanks
    642
    Thanked
    1,289 times in 1,094 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I wonder why they didn't go with 5700X
    Perhaps, and I say this as a very happy 3700X owner, because the 3700X numbering is really stupid. A 65W version of the 3800X should have been a 3800. Like the 3600 is a 65W 3600X. Or a 3900 is a 65W 3900X.
    3700X should really have been some other core configuration, reduce the cache or knock out the threading, possibly with a 3700 65W variant.

    So perhaps they figured they would fix the numbering here, rather than dragging the stupidity on. I mean, they go from 6 cores to 16 cores using 5 numbers and sometimes slap an X on the end, it doesn't sound hard.

  6. #6
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    93 times in 79 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Because AMD can sell the Ryzen 7 5800X for more money?? Also they can have more relaxed binning requirements too.
    Eh ? I meant instead of 5800, why not name it 5700X as it's the successor to the 3700X. Also people will link the names as the 3700X was a massively popular part

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Perhaps, and I say this as a very happy 3700X owner, because the 3700X numbering is really stupid. A 65W version of the 3800X should have been a 3800. Like the 3600 is a 65W 3600X. Or a 3900 is a 65W 3900X.
    3700X should really have been some other core configuration, reduce the cache or knock out the threading, possibly with a 3700 65W variant.

    So perhaps they figured they would fix the numbering here, rather than dragging the stupidity on. I mean, they go from 6 cores to 16 cores using 5 numbers and sometimes slap an X on the end, it doesn't sound hard.

    I always thought they did the numbering so different so the price difference was subconsciously not as bad, because the price difference is NUTS lol

    Although now that I think about it, it makes more sense to call it 5800 because people link the X to a better part, so if they see 5700X they'll think it's just as good as 5800X, but if they see 5800 they'll think it's sub par next to the 5800X, like something is missing.

  7. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,650
    Thanks
    642
    Thanked
    1,289 times in 1,094 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I always thought they did the numbering so different so the price difference was subconsciously not as bad, because the price difference is NUTS lol
    I keep thinking that AMD aren't very good at making their CPUs have different performance levels, and the confused pricing is a symptom

    Edit: I notice these are still Alienware machines though, not actual Dell branded ones.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 22-02-2021 at 05:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    I'm happy to see the 5800 starting to make an appearance. It would be my preferred chip if it were sold retail. Not a fan of that Alienware's design, unfortunately, so I won't be buying it.

    Still, more 65W parts is always welcome. I love how quiet my desktop is, and see no reason to increase its power consumption and make it noisier.

  9. #9
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked
    125 times in 105 posts

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Core2Extreme View Post
    I'm happy to see the 5800 starting to make an appearance. It would be my preferred chip if it were sold retail. Not a fan of that Alienware's design, unfortunately, so I won't be buying it.

    Still, more 65W parts is always welcome. I love how quiet my desktop is, and see no reason to increase its power consumption and make it noisier.
    You can achieve the same thing by buying a 5800X and setting the power limit to 65W (or eco-mode in Ryzen Master). I imagine the point of these non-X chips is so that system builders can slap on a poor quality cooler and not worry about the end user raising the power limit to a stock 5800X to fry themselves.

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    11,650
    Thanks
    642
    Thanked
    1,289 times in 1,094 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    You can achieve the same thing by buying a 5800X and setting the power limit to 65W (or eco-mode in Ryzen Master). I imagine the point of these non-X chips is so that system builders can slap on a poor quality cooler and not worry about the end user raising the power limit to a stock 5800X to fry themselves.
    If it was a low end Dell or HP box I would also say they are cheaping out on the motherboard only needing a 65W capable VRM, but these are expensive Alienware machines.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • siu99spj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus NForce 750 SLi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 750 GB, 2 x 1 TB (ext), 2 x 500 GB (ext), 2 x 250 GB (ext)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 6870
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Antec Solo
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64-bit, Ubuntu 11.10, Mac OSX, Win XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 2407W
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb ADSL 2+

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    If I were building a system now, this is the chip I would want. Price-wise and specs-wise it seems a perfect fit.

    However, it's probably OEM only (If it exists at all). Add to that my impending redundancy, the current 'chipageddon' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55936011) and the quite ridiculous mark-ups that are happening everywhere is putting any chance of building a new PC in the seriously 'not happening' category.

    *Sigh* I miss building PCs (Or even having one to play with). Just haven't had the funds for so long it seems like a dream I had eons ago...
    If the Earth is a sphere how do you travel to the ends of it?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    One more unicorn, we know it exists, but nobody will ever seen it

  13. #13
    Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    874
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked
    55 times in 37 posts

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    I'd love it if Scan got hold of these for some of their bundles or custom builds. We're probably unlikely to see that many though, like others have said...

  14. #14
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    30,593
    Thanks
    3,522
    Thanked
    4,864 times in 3,757 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Dell starts to list PC systems with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800 option

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Eh ? I meant instead of 5800, why not name it 5700X as it's the successor to the 3700X. Also people will link the names as the 3700X was a massively popular part
    Oops,brainfart moment. Maybe they want to sell a 5700G APU,so wanted to leave some space?? But TBF to AMD,the Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 2700X had 65W TDP versions,ie,Ryzen 7 1700 and Ryzen 7 2700. But the bigger issue is their line-up seems to have huge gaps in the price brands.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •