Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

This board is meant for creative who know the benefits of Thunderbolt and use it. It is not for gamers so the question of eGPU is irrelevant especially because this is a desktop board. Audio interfaces, and video capture and playback devices that utilise it offer the best performance.

Thunderbolt has great support now on both Windows and Mac OS and although I have no experience with Linux and Chrome OS but I'm made to understand that it is supported at kernel level as well.

Thunderbolt 4 certification actually makes the implementation pretty standard for peace of mind.

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by kimgitz View Post
    This board is meant for creative who know the benefits of Thunderbolt and use it. It is not for gamers so the question of eGPU is irrelevant especially because this is a desktop board. Audio interfaces, and video capture and playback devices that utilise it offer the best performance.
    I also bought a K series chip and didn't overclock it.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Thunderbolt has great support now on both Windows and Mac OS and although I have no experience with Linux and Chrome OS but I'm made to understand that it is supported at kernel level as well.

Thunderbolt 4 certification actually makes the implementation pretty standard for peace of mind.
    I can get that with laptops you can find Thunderbolt useful (though just the basics of getting Windows to drive a couple of external monitors drove me up the wall), in a desktop like this you can just plug in PCIe cards to generate and capture whatever signals you need.

Linux support for Thunderbolt seemed pretty poor for me, way worse than Windows. I'm on the broadcast engineering side rather than creative, but my desktop at work has a PCIe card with four SDI connectors on it that can do caprure or playback, and a Mellanox 25GbE card to do uncompressed video over ethernet given that seems to be the way things are going. Those work under Linux just fine.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The pair of 2.5GbE ports seems a really odd choice. Couldn't they have put in a single 5GbE port for less? Or frankly at this price level 10GbE.
    it helps with linking machines and still having network i guess. Is that a common requirement?

Registered+
    Thanks

I can get that with laptops you can find Thunderbolt useful (though just the basics of getting Windows to drive a couple of external monitors drove me up the wall), in a desktop like this you can just plug in PCIe cards to generate and capture whatever signals you need.

Linux support for Thunderbolt seemed pretty poor for me, way worse than Windows. I'm on the broadcast engineering side rather than creative, but my desktop at work has a PCIe card with four SDI connectors on it that can do caprure or playback, and a Mellanox 25GbE card to do uncompressed video over ethernet given that seems to be the way things are going. Those work under Linux just fine.
    Those PCIe cards can only be used with one machine realistically unless you are willing to be uninstalling and installing PCIe cards regularly. With a Thunderbolt device one simply unplugs the cable and plugs it into another computer, no screwdrivers needed.

Linux support is now much better not perfect but very much useable.

The pair of 2.5GbE ports seems a really odd choice. Couldn't they have put in a single 5GbE port for less? Or frankly at this price level 10GbE.
    Dual NICs are mostly used for redundancy. A 2.5GbE MultiPort Switch is more affordable and easily available than for 5GbE or 10GbE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information