Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21

Thread: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    It will be the first AMD B550 chipset board with Intel's updated Thunderbolt 4 controller.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,526
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    468 times in 326 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Do people actually use TB? I thought it was a bit like FireWire in that they kept it as an exclusive Apple thing for so long that the world simply moved on.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    1,207
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    28 times in 26 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Thunderbolt on desktop is simply a waste but what we should hear is AMD Ryzen laptop with thunderbolt.

  4. #4
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,494
    Thanks
    1,763
    Thanked
    1,332 times in 995 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    i thought it could help with external gpu and dock stations etc. in theory you can run your hub and external screens through it too. IIRC you want 20Gbps or more for 4k.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Do people actually use TB? I thought it was a bit like FireWire in that they kept it as an exclusive Apple thing for so long that the world simply moved on.
    Problem isn't so much about if people would use it or not it's more about support, thunderbolt support/implementation on windows is pretty poor.

    I'd rather see better networking ports as I'm moving more towards network storage than external drives but I can see the benefit of thunderbolt for high speed transfers.

    I did actually make use of firewire 400 when it was around, it was actually faster to 'network' my pc and laptop using it than the network ports lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Do people actually use TB? I thought it was a bit like FireWire in that they kept it as an exclusive Apple thing for so long that the world simply moved on.
    Problem isn't so much about if people would use it or not it's more about support, thunderbolt support/implementation on windows is pretty poor.

    I'd rather see better networking ports as I'm moving more towards network storage than external drives but I can see the benefit of thunderbolt for high speed transfers.

    I did actually make use of firewire 400 when it was around, it was actually faster to 'network' my pc and laptop using it than the network ports lol
    Until a couple of years ago my music pc still used a firewire audio interface
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    31 times in 28 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Blimey! To think that people made a HUGE fuss about the SP6/SP7/Sp7+ NOT having full TB.

  8. #8
    Spreadie
    Guest

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    i thought it could help with external gpu and dock stations etc. in theory you can run your hub and external screens through it too. IIRC you want 20Gbps or more for 4k.
    TB3 offered 40Gbps already, which TB4 does not improve upon. I think it offers duplex improvements though, and it supports 2 metre passive cables - which can only really be truly appreciated by those of us who got rinsed for £50 for a 2m active cable.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    555
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    28 times in 22 posts
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Thunderbolt is one of things that would NOT influence my choice in a motherboard, same can be said for usb type c too.
    I don't own any devices that use them so it's like why would I need it ?

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,564
    Thanks
    738
    Thanked
    1,470 times in 1,239 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    Thunderbolt is one of things that would NOT influence my choice in a motherboard, same can be said for usb type c too.
    I don't own any devices that use them so it's like why would I need it ?
    Basic USB C doesn't add a huge amount to cost, and if you don't have any devices yet I'm sure you will before too long. You can plug those in with an A to C cable, but then I find myself poking around the back of the PC trying to work out which ports are 480Mbps, 5Gbps or 10Gbps.

    Thunderbolt OTOH is a feature I have come to despise. Great for laptop docking when it works, but so often for me it just didn't. I stopped using a laptop at work largely because of docking problems. The old docking connectors were just so much better.

    The pair of 2.5GbE ports seems a really odd choice. Couldn't they have put in a single 5GbE port for less? Or frankly at this price level 10GbE.

  11. #11
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,427
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    404 times in 291 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    Thunderbolt is one of things that would NOT influence my choice in a motherboard, same can be said for usb type c too.
    I don't own any devices that use them so it's like why would I need it ?
    That is why it's on a niche "creator" motherboard and not a standard feature. Clearly this is not aimed at you. I'd guess market research showed there's enough people who want this to risk bringing a product to market. It's not for me either. And as above for USB-C. You may not need or want it now, but the odds are you'll come across at least one situation where you're glad you have it in the next few years. Given CPU upgrade cycles are seeming to get longer and longer, future proofing your motherboard in this way is very sensible.

    All of the points you have raised have been made about USB, PCI-e, PCI, etc in the past. New standards start off small and inertia takes its time. But you can see the level of buy-in to USB-C already and I'm buying my USB sticks with dual compatibility now.

  12. #12
    Spreadie
    Guest

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    That is why it's on a niche "creator" motherboard and not a standard feature. Clearly this is not aimed at you. I'd guess market research showed there's enough people who want this to risk bringing a product to market. It's not for me either. And as above for USB-C. You may not need or want it now, but the odds are you'll come across at least one situation where you're glad you have it in the next few years. Given CPU upgrade cycles are seeming to get longer and longer, future proofing your motherboard in this way is very sensible.

    All of the points you have raised have been made about USB, PCI-e, PCI, etc in the past. New standards start off small and inertia takes its time. But you can see the level of buy-in to USB-C already and I'm buying my USB sticks with dual compatibility now.
    I do wonder if Intel poisoned perception of TB a bit by hanging on to the painfully expensive paid licensing for too long.

  13. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,564
    Thanks
    738
    Thanked
    1,470 times in 1,239 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    I do wonder if Intel poisoned perception of TB a bit by hanging on to the painfully expensive paid licensing for too long.
    Well that killed off Firewire, and Firewire was good. To extract stupidly high licence fees from something that wasn't even well designed was pretty stupid.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    As said it's a creator board and many of the things present are overkill for your average person...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  15. #15
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,427
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    404 times in 291 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    I do wonder if Intel poisoned perception of TB a bit by hanging on to the painfully expensive paid licensing for too long.
    I've had thunderbolt available for years. Never used it. I did spend money on... something(?) for it but never used the thing.

  16. #16
    Spreadie
    Guest

    Re: Asus ProArt B550-Creator to feature Thunderbolt 4

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I've had thunderbolt available for years. Never used it. I did spend money on... something(?) for it but never used the thing.
    My last two laptops have had TB3 and I used one with an eGPU. I only use it on my current laptop for the TB3 dock, but I have a few USB-C and TB3 devices. I don't mind it and I like the speed, but I'm not a huge fan of the type C connector - that could've been a better design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •