• cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Microsoft Edge 89 boosts performance, intros vertical tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    I've used it a while back but got bored of it. Didn't know it got hijacked though! When did this happen?
    If you're talking about the warning that Chrome gives, this happens when an app gets taken off the store, not because it got hijacked. I found that out last month, when I saw a bunch of warnings, then looked in the store. They were not there anymore.

EDIT: So I just saw the video. Sleeping tabs is exactly the same as The Great Suspender (just a different implementation of it). Good job MS, stealing someone else's ideas and calling it the great innovation....
    See https://www.techworm.net/2021/02/goo...extension.html

To be fair to Microsoft if the original inventor is going to make money flogging it off to some random malware team I'd rather they implement it!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

2. Received thanks from:

Scryder (09-03-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    See https://www.techworm.net/2021/02/goo...extension.html

To be fair to Microsoft if the original inventor is going to make money flogging it off to some random malware team I'd rather they implement it!
    Huh, thanks. Yeah, seems the new owners wanted to do a bit of sneaky spying to the extension's large userbase. Good thing google nuked it then.

I'm still meh about using MS product on a MS OS (at least as my main browser, might use it occasionally).
    Appreciate the link. It was an interesting read.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    Huh, thanks. Yeah, seems the new owners wanted to do a bit of sneaky spying to the extension's large userbase. Good thing google nuked it then.

I'm still meh about using MS product on a MS OS (at least as my main browser, might use it occasionally).
    Appreciate the link. It was an interesting read.
    No problem. I'll be honest Edge has been a great replacement to Chrome for me. Everything I'm use to but a bit less bloat and I trust Microsoft more than Google but hey everyone has different priorities. I just wanted something consistent across phone/desktop. Just got the build with the tab sleep and vertical tabs and they both work well.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    No problem. I'll be honest Edge has been a great replacement to Chrome for me. Everything I'm use to but a bit less bloat and I trust Microsoft more than Google but hey everyone has different priorities. I just wanted something consistent across phone/desktop. Just got the build with the tab sleep and vertical tabs and they both work well.
    Nice. You know what, I want to move away from Chrome as well, so use 2 other browsers now. This is something I started to do a couple of months ago, but am a bit too lazy at certain times. Also things like youtube still need a google login, so makes sense to keep that on Chrome imo. But certain pages I use, I've moved to the other browser completely... speaking of, I need to move my Hexus away from Chrome as well.

I've seen videos about browser isolation, and some of that made sense to me... not leaving all your eggs in one basket. So new Edge and probably Brave certainly has a place in my future... the more browsers the merrier I say. And probably makes sense to move my outlook account to Edge...

Although I understand my ISP still keep all my data thanks to the Snoopers Charter, at least I can make it harder for the other corporations... even if it's just a bit. Speaking of, it's near on impossible to turn off Location Services on my Kindle Fire tablets (without rooting it). Every once in a while, I check privacy settings, and it magically turned itself back on! It's whack-a-mole for me.

Incidentally, syncing across devices is not an issue for me, as my Desktop PC is my main area where I browse the net. I don't care about syncing with the Tablets or Smartphone (something I only got last month!), main thing I watch on tablets is youtube, and that's synced already thanks to the google login requirement.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari

6. Received thanks from:

cheesemp (10-03-2021)

Thanks

So I learned something new today. You can create a .bat file to load webpages on ANY browser in Win10! Last time I created a bat file was in the DOS days to run games, multiple windows instances and some programs. Then used it a while back for something else at work.

This will come in very handy for me... especially when deciding which browser to open which page... as per my post above. This came just in time and will save me tons of time and hassle!
    Not sure you can pin tabs, but useful nonetheless.

Here's the link to the video explaining it, TechGumbo on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxuTcceR6M
    Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information