Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSI to crowdfund its Liberator gaming footswitch

Thanks

Re: MSI to crowdfund its Liberator gaming footswitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    .... or you could save your money and buy : https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Foot-Sw.../dp/B008MU0TBU
    Lol, nice find. But guess it doesn't have RGB!

Seems "innovations" these days are just rehashing old ideas and putting their label on it! Heck works for Elon's Hyperloop!! An idea and design over a century old.

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    or tap dance the pedal board to get the right setting!
    When I was a kid, I've always wanted to get me a few Tremolo Pedals, after seeing my friend in a band use it. But never got round to it. Then I ran out of free time as an adult, and forgot about these till now, seeing this photo!.
    Last edited by Scryder; 17-03-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    I WAS saying they're a big enough corporation to do a survey to see the interest from potential audience. And funding prototypes. Dumb excuse imo.
    Again, words mean nothing. Potential means nothing. Those are risks far too great for today's ever-changing and fast-moving market.
    You could have fifty million people say they want something, but not a one end up actually buying it and as a result your company loses a lot of money.
    There are at least a dozen threads here on HEXUS where I've expressed considerable interest in the product(s) being showcased... but there's no way in hell I'd actually buy them, even if it's just because they're too expensive.

Crowdfunding gets some people to actually do the 'buying' side first, which is a more concrete foundation for development than the heresay of a survey, and has the added bonus of providing some initial funding for that development. It's also more likely to encourage support for the product, as people have a vested interest in its eventual release.

The drummer thing... let me explain! Drummers can coordinate with both hands and feet independently! I've tried when I was younger... can't do it for the life of me! I can play a guitar though!
    That's all I meant, thanks for making an argument out of nothing!
    As a former professional drummer myself I am, of course, delighted that a guitarist is here to tell me how drumming works...

You didn't actually say anything about coordination, just that you were short and absent-minded.
    But my counter to that is the fact that even guitarists can learn to drive cars and ride motorcycles. The coordination required here is no different, so unless you really struggle to remember which arm turns the wipers on and which pedal makes the car stop, you should have no trouble with these... and even if you do, the age-old gamers trick of writing them down on a piece of paper/keyboard overlay is still a great solution.

RGB = I have a Logitech mouse that lights up. No other RGB on site! Still dumb. BUT guess it's the "trendy" thing that all the "kids" like.
    This is HEXUS. It's always been the 'trendy' thing here to bash and hate on RGB... usually while also contradicting the sentiment by being an advocate for people having choices. That's all RGB as a feature is - Giving people the choice. You can always choose to turn it off.

Also also, MSI ain't the best company around right now (at least according to Gamers Nexus):
    So on the basis of some dodgy practices, I presume you're going to swear off all the other companies with such controversies?
    Apple tax-dodgers poisoning its child labour, Microsoft gay prohibitor's war profiteering, stuff like that?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Lol, nice find. But guess it doesn't have RGB!

Seems "innovations" these days are just rehashing old ideas and putting their label on it! Heck works for Elon's Hyperloop!! An idea and design over a century old.

When I was a kid, I've always wanted to get me a few Tremolo Pedals, after seeing my friend in a band use it. But never got round to it. Then I ran out of free time as an adult, and forgot about these till now, seeing this photo!.
    Get the boss PN2 if you can find one on ebay. Amazing pedal - not sure why they ever stopped making it. Goes so choppy it's great. If you can get two you can chop-pan and with three you can pan-chop/chop with the chop at different rates and it melts your mind. TR-2 is ok and gives you the blend but you get some volume loss which is annoying, but a great entry pedal, as are the Donner Golden Trem or its Mooer equivalent if you like mini-pedals. The TR2 is also a lot less likely to get nicked. The EHX super pulsar is the next trem I want to get. Silly money though, and I try and get all mine 2nd hand once they're over £100 unless I'm doing particularly well at the time (which right now I really really am not) and those just don't come up 2nd hand atm.

4. Received thanks from:

Scryder (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Get the boss PN2 if you can find one on ebay. Amazing pedal - not sure why they ever stopped making it. Goes so choppy it's great. If you can get two you can chop-pan and with three you can pan-chop/chop with the chop at different rates and it melts your mind. TR-2 is ok and gives you the blend but you get some volume loss which is annoying, but a great entry pedal, as are the Donner Golden Trem or its Mooer equivalent if you like mini-pedals. The TR2 is also a lot less likely to get nicked. The EHX super pulsar is the next trem I want to get. Silly money though, and I try and get all mine 2nd hand once they're over £100 unless I'm doing particularly well at the time (which right now I really really am not) and those just don't come up 2nd hand atm.
    LOL my 7000th post on a PC tech forum was for guitar tech.

Thanks

LOL my 7000th post on a PC tech forum was for guitar tech.
    Nice. Thanks for the advice, I will be looking at some of them... now that I remembered they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    <Snip>...So on the basis of some dodgy practices, I presume you're going to swear off all the other companies with such controversies?
    Apple tax-dodgers poisoning its child labour, Microsoft gay prohibitor's war profiteering, stuff like that?
    OK dude! This is where I will be walking away from this conversation.... I see which hole we're about to go down and I'm not interested in doing that. Seen it too many times.

Was nice talking to you, sorry if what I said bothered you, that was not AT ALL my intent.
    I see we've got differing opinions and are never going to agree.
    I'll leave it at that... do feel free to have the last word.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari

Thanks

A lot of people here are awfully quick to cast judgement. I'm not saying it will be useful or not, just that we don't know yet.

I remember when I saw my first mouse, back in the 1980s. It was totally alien to me. All anyone needed was a keyboard and joystick right? How wrong I was...

(I also thought having cameras on phones was a total gimmick. Now they are their one of their *main* selling point it seems.)

Can't wait to see all sceptics using footswitches in 10 years time...

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Noli View Post
    A lot of people here are awfully quick to cast judgement. I'm not saying it will be useful or not, just that we don't know yet.

I remember when I saw my first mouse, back in the 1980s. It was totally alien to me. All anyone needed was a keyboard and joystick right? How wrong I was...

(I also thought having cameras on phones was a total gimmick. Now they are their one of their *main* selling point it seems.)

Can't wait to see all sceptics using footswitches in 10 years time...
    I'd actually find it really useful, though I'd go for at least a three bank set for fwd, back and next file/start record etc. You can set each one to do things on combo presses which is useful. Now if they could just do a midi-sync version so I could feed it the timing too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noli View Post

...Can't wait to see all sceptics using footswitches in 10 years time...
    Most of us are old enough to judge if something is useful enough for our needs or not. Based on our experiences. One reason I know I will never end up using this is my feet are not in the best of conditions, and if in 10 years, this becomes the trend, my feet ain't getting any younger. So I could tell, even if this is the next best thing to sliced bread, I'll never ever find any use for this.

There have also been a ton of "innovations" that hit a dead end... but some do get revived years after. VR I remember was a big thing in the early 90's (check out Lawnmower Man, Timecop, Seaquest DSV's VR headset controlling a drone, etc), but the tech wasn't up to spec at the time. But that did make it now (at least for a few).
    3D was another that was revived a few years back (and several attempts have been made in the past as well). I have a "3D Vision® Ready" monitor. But this never picked up much traction and Nvidia don't support it with their drivers anymore... we'll probably see it again sometime in the future.
    Also anyone remember all those music accessories for Guitar Hero, Singstar etc, Virtual Boy; I still have my light-gun for the Mega CD?

So what I'm saying is some tech will make it, but a lot will end up in garbage (or gathering dust somewhere). And imo this will be one of the latter (except for a few people obviously).

Plus we're in a Forum... it's a place to talk tech. We don't all have to agree ALL the time... as long as we respect each others' opinions.
    Last edited by Scryder; 18-03-2021 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Plus we're in a Forum... it's a place to talk tech. We don't all have to agree ALL the time... as long as we respect each others' opinions.
    Quick, quick! Start a twitter flame campaign, someone disagreed with someone, and then suggested this was acceptable behaviour! Now what's the collective newly-defined criteria for acceptable conformity at present so we can drown this dissenting voice with a mass bombardment of shouty posts and hashtags?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Most of us are old enough to judge if something is useful enough for our needs or not. Based on our experiences. One reason I know I will never end up using this is my feet are not in the best of conditions, and if in 10 years, this becomes the trend, my feet ain't getting any younger. So I could tell, even if this is the next best thing to sliced bread, I'll never ever find any use for this.
    Accessibility and enablement for impaired users is actually one of the main things people overlook when considering new products like this.
    Like anyone else, I am perfectly happy to shoot something down if it doesn't meet my needs, but I also try to see how it might benefit others and whether it should be supported for that reason rather than just ridiculed out of existence. So while I do think this particular one is cack, I do also see how many other people might want one.
    There have been a few threads on here where people sought solutions to impairments, and such tech that had initially been laughed at was suddenly recalled to the fore when its best application became apparent.

So what I'm saying is some tech will make it, but a lot will end up in garbage (or gathering dust somewhere). And imo this will be one of the latter (except for a few people obviously).
    I agree that this particular product will likely not succeed, due to the limitations and flaws mentioned earlier, but it's also not the first example of this product concept and there is already very successful similar kit that has half of that concept covered. There's clearly a demand for something like this, so if MSI instead extended their product to cover the whole concept, it'd be a hit across many different markets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information