Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Sandbox and MDAG get lighter / faster in latest preview

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows Sandbox and MDAG get lighter / faster in latest preview

And Microsoft has implemented more Fluent design icons in the File Explorer.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Windows Sandbox and MDAG get lighter / faster in latest preview

Why fix some of the glaring issue with Windows when you can design new icons.

3. Received thanks from:

kompukare (25-03-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • King Mustard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock B650M Pro RS
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB DDR5-6000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Internet:
      • 34 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Why fix some of the glaring issue with Windows when you can design new icons.
    Yes, because there is only one team of one person working on all aspects of Windows...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    Yes, because there is only one team of one person working on all aspects of Windows...
    Seeing how some of these glaring issues have never been addressed and daft icon redesigns that (afaik) nobody asked for are taking priority I'm not sure it has much to do with how many people are working on Windows.

6. Received thanks from:

kompukare (25-03-2021)

Thanks

From a 'usability' standpoint those new icons are going to suck if they don't have the little previews we have now (they don't currently).

The people doing the icons will not be the same people fixing 'glaring issues' (not even sure what they are these days), it's a different skill set. Honestly the only 'glaring issue' that I can think of, for the normal user, is the lack of consistency within windows, something this is part of fixing... the 'privacy' stuff that we aren't fond of doesn't bother 99% of users, just look at how willing they are with facebook/google etc.

Personally I'd like to see built in thumbnail generation for major file formats (pdf etc) instead of needing external programs etc so I'm hoping something like this happens.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

OMG where they drunk when they made these?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    The people doing the icons will not be the same people fixing 'glaring issues' (not even sure what they are these days), it's a different skill set. Honestly the only 'glaring issue' that I can think of, for the normal user, is the lack of consistency within windows, something this is part of fixing... the 'privacy' stuff that we aren't fond of doesn't bother 99% of users, just look at how willing they are with facebook/google etc.
    It would still be nice to prioritise or even care about them, personally things like being able to change the size and display for the clock would be nice (when your eyesight isn't 20/20 it can be hard to make out), actually being able to hide or delete the icons for UWP apps in the start menu would sure be nice also. That's just off the top of my head as I've not exactly kept a list of all the things I've come across that make me stop and think why i can't do X, Y, or Z, or a certain something that used to be easy to do and is now either impossible or way more convoluted than it used to be.

Thanks

It would still be nice to prioritise or even care about them, personally things like being able to change the size and display for the clock would be nice (when your eyesight isn't 20/20 it can be hard to make out), actually being able to hide or delete the icons for UWP apps in the start menu would sure be nice also. That's just off the top of my head as I've not exactly kept a list of all the things I've come across that make me stop and think why i can't do X, Y, or Z, or a certain something that used to be easy to do and is now either impossible or way more convoluted than it used to be.
    Pretty sure the clock is getting a rework but I wouldn't say that's a glaring issue, that's a personal preference due to your eyesight, unless you're registered as sight impaired in which case you could maybe argue disability settings.

The UWP apps, if you mean in the full list of applications rather than the square icons then I don't see that as an issue either, that list is 'everything installed' but from what I can tell you can remove them using windows policies, yes not ideal but niche situation imo.

Thanks
    • Animus404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • 3.2Ghz AMD PhenomII x4 955
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 1600mhz (Corsair XMS3)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Black + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 970 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 525watt Entermax Modu82+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" LCD HP Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 38Mbit

So does sandbox still screw with the virtualisation stuff and prevent Virtualbox from working?

Thanks

Pretty sure the clock is getting a rework but I wouldn't say that's a glaring issue, that's a personal preference due to your eyesight, unless you're registered as sight impaired in which case you could maybe argue disability settings.
    Personally i would've preferred not to have started to need glasses in the second half of my life but it is what it is and i guess I'm not the only person sitting 4-5 feet away from a 1440p who just wants to glance in the corner to see what the time is rather than the day and date.

Sure there are workarounds but something as simple as changing how the system clock is displayed shouldn't need something like T-Clock Redux to be installed just to set something that's pretty much standard in all other OS's.
    The UWP apps, if you mean in the full list of applications rather than the square icons then I don't see that as an issue either, that list is 'everything installed' but from what I can tell you can remove them using windows policies, yes not ideal but niche situation imo.
    Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's not an issue and like i said things like this shouldn't need workaround, something as simple as not wanting an icon to Edge because i don't use it in the start menu shouldn't need workarounds.

This is what i mean about glaring issues, these were just off the top of my head and glaring because they're in your face, there's loads of other issues like the content deliver platform still recording activity history despite turning off all privacy settings and having something like the security centre set to a delayed start that causes errors in the event log despite changing its startup type being such a trivial thing for Microsoft to sort out.

Registered+
    Thanks

I can see the photos thing confusing people. Triangle + dot = photos, not a great idea. At least currently you can see it looks like a photo.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

You would think that instead of designing new icons, they would be more inclined to fix the glaring differences in other aspects of the GUI. Take for example the old style device manager and the one within Settings. It's those inconsistencies that really need looking at, not folder icons etc.

Thanks

Personally i would've preferred not to have started to need glasses in the second half of my life but it is what it is and i guess I'm not the only person sitting 4-5 feet away from a 1440p who just wants to glance in the corner to see what the time is rather than the day and date.

Sure there are workarounds but something as simple as changing how the system clock is displayed shouldn't need something like T-Clock Redux to be installed just to set something that's pretty much standard in all other OS's.
    I'm short sighted and have worn glasses for around 30 years.... I honestly don't see the issue with the clock, I have no day and date with mine, it's just the time but then I just have a 'single row' taskbar, if I 'double up' it does show day and date too.

Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's not an issue and like i said things like this shouldn't need workaround, something as simple as not wanting an icon to Edge because i don't use it in the start menu shouldn't need workarounds.
    likewise just because it's an issue for you doesn't mean it is for others.... I'm sure MS have plenty of user feedback/data to know if it's worth removing something or not. In all honesty I very rarely use that list due to having the tiles (and a 'quickmenu' toolbar in the taskbar) set up with my main programs.

This is what i mean about glaring issues, these were just off the top of my head and glaring because they're in your face, there's loads of other issues like the content deliver platform still recording activity history despite turning off all privacy settings and having something like the security centre set to a delayed start that causes errors in the event log despite changing its startup type being such a trivial thing for Microsoft to sort out.
    You clearly have a different opinion on what is a glaring issue and needs sorting out compared with me.

Like I said earlier there is still the privacy issues that we see, and I agree they should be fully optional, but for the general consumer (and we're not them) they likely don't give a second thought to it in the same way they don't have an issue with posting their daily lives on instagram/facebook etc.
    Last edited by LSG501; 28-03-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

likewise just because it's an issue for you doesn't mean it is for others.... I'm sure MS have plenty of user feedback/data to know if it's worth removing something or not. In all honesty I very rarely use that list due to having the tiles (and a 'quickmenu' toolbar in the taskbar) set up with my main programs.
    True, what makes it an issue for others is hearing from people who have the same issue via a search engine.
    You clearly have a different opinion on what is a glaring issue and needs sorting out compared with me.

Like I said earlier there is still the privacy issues that we see, and I agree they should be fully optional, but for the general consumer (and we're not them) they likely don't give a second thought to it in the same way they don't have an issue with posting their daily lives on instagram/facebook etc.
    Clearly i do, i find it peculiar that you'd discount something that's an issue for some people so readily.

Thanks

True, what makes it an issue for others is hearing from people who have the same issue via a search engine.
    you should know as well as I do that a search result on a problem is going to bring up more people with the issue than without the issue, people are far more likely to complain about something than say something is good.

Clearly i do, i find it peculiar that you'd discount something that's an issue for some people so readily.
    I'm not dismissing that you have an issue, although I personally feel it would be in the minority of users, I just don't think it's a GLARING issue like you do and as such has 'less importance' when improving the overall windows experience, at least imo.

Thanks

you should know as well as I do that a search result on a problem is going to bring up more people with the issue than without the issue, people are far more likely to complain about something than say something is good.
    Who said anything about the number of other people who consider it to be an issue? I gave some examples of what i consider to be glaring issues, you're the one who brought whether other people think it's an issue into this and are now trying to use the number of people as a some sort of defining factor in whether an issue is glaring or not.
    I'm not dismissing that you have an issue, although I personally feel it would be in the minority of users, I just don't think it's a GLARING issue like you do and as such has 'less importance' when improving the overall windows experience, at least imo.
    Yea, you are. In your eyes unless it's an issue for the majority of users it's not an obvious or conspicuous issue. I have to ask, do you work for Microsoft?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information