• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Spotify Premium pricing to be raised from Friday

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    Back then, you could wait for sales. Few years later, you could wait a month and grab the entire album for £2/£3 or less, from Amazon/eBay.

Paying monthly is a bit silly.

For a family, it starts to make more sense.
    Does it still make sense when radio exists and is free.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Um, yup.

I do listen to a fair bit of radio (and I mean proper, be it FM or DAB, not internet radio) but normally for R4 type of interesting stuff. Which isn't always interesting. But for music, I like to listen to what I like in music not what some bloke (or lady) in a studio likes.

Occasionally, I want random music but usually, I want it from something I liked well enough to buy, or at least, pick from a playlist.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Do you Spotify, and will the price rises make you consider changing to a rival service?
    I've never actually used it. Something about either adverts and limited choice for the free option and adverse to paying for it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    While I don't go so far as to say (like my ol' Dad used to) "modern music is crap", and indeed some I do like, those bits that I like enough to want on-demand are so small as to not justify paying Spotify.
    I'm going to be honest and say a LOT of new music is crap. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and just know what I like, but have you listened to some of the stuff on the radio lately??!

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The only music streaming service I seem to subscribe to,is the one which comes as part of Amazon Prime. For me,if a song or album is not good enough for me to buy a copy or buy a download off,it doesn't matter how many songs a streaming service has,and the number of albums I want to have each year is far less than the cost of a streaming service.
    Well I get the Amazon Prime access to music but find the app > streaming bluetooth to car stereo is pretty poor, doesn't continue when you get back into the car. I also have Apple Music which is a perk I get with my mobile which I happily pay for, that app just works seamlessly with bluetooth to car stereo and resumes when you get back into the car. It also works well with Siri so I don't have to start fiddling with the phone while driving. I wouldn't pay for it separately though.

If I wasn't lazy, I'd probably do the whole remote NAS thing and take all of my CDs out of the loft where they reside now and then put them on HDD. Haven't bought a CD since.... 2008?

There is literally only one radio station I listen to and it's Radio 4. I like it for the gardening / cookery segments. Sheesh, I must be getting old.

Thanks

Just cancelled my family membership, £15 for multiple people was fine with me, I know a £2 increase isn't massive in the grand scheme of things but I'm only listening to the same playlists over, and over, and over, and over again so I decided to live without it!

Thanks

<snip>
    Paying monthly is a bit silly.

For a family, it starts to make more sense.
    That is a good point! Back in the day, as kids, we used to record certain songs from the radio.

Thanks

I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio not in the car though - and then it's been absolute 80's lol
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

That is a good point! Back in the day, as kids, we used to record certain songs from the radio.
    Well, that can be done from streaming services too, but I absolutely don't have a ADC (Analog to Dgital Converter) or a USB cable to connect it to a PC, or software installed that will enable recording/editing, because that would be nawty. Also, I'm sure, given that I prefer music from the 60/70s era that it absolutely was recorded in such high quality, and that the quality of most streaming services (I exclude Tidal, etc from that) really absolutely, genuinely are so good, due to all that 50-yr old tech on the original recordings (*), that you utterly would loose huge goops of quality if you were to subject it to analog replay, then medium-res digitisation, and editing. So who'd want to? Any given that the total hardware outlay is about £20, it utterly isn't worth it.

Ahem.

(*) On a more serious note, I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that some of those 60/70s era recordings are, actually, pretty damn good, if you can get back to original masters for redigitisation. Not many people have access to such masters, and I sure don't.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Well, that can be done from streaming services too, but I absolutely don't have a ADC (Analog to Dgital Converter) or a USB cable to connect it to a PC, or software installed that will enable recording/editing, because that would be nawty. Also, I'm sure, given that I prefer music from the 60/70s era that it absolutely was recorded in such high quality, and that the quality of most streaming services (I exclude Tidal, etc from that) really absolutely, genuinely are so good, due to all that 50-yr old tech on the original recordings (*), that you utterly would loose huge goops of quality if you were to subject it to analog replay, then medium-res digitisation, and editing. So who'd want to? Any given that the total hardware outlay is about £20, it utterly isn't worth it.

Ahem.

(*) On a more serious note, I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that some of those 60/70s era recordings are, actually, pretty damn good, if you can get back to original masters for redigitisation. Not many people have access to such masters, and I sure don't.
    Wow - never heard of loopback audio devices? Just record it that way if you want to, job done (not that I'm advocating piracy but you can easily record *any* audio with a loopback device and 99% of pc's have one built in)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Wow - never heard of loopback audio devices? Just record it that way if you want to, job done (not that I'm advocating piracy but you can easily record *any* audio with a loopback device and 99% of pc's have one built in)
    Yes, but noise floor on PC audio is generally lousy, converters aren't great and my source is not a PC so I have to get any audio on in the first place. The hardware I use wasn't bought for this purpose.

Thanks

Yes, but noise floor on PC audio is generally lousy, converters aren't great and my source is not a PC so I have to get any audio on in the first place. The hardware I use wasn't bought for this purpose.
    I meant for recording streaming services.... it's basically a 1:1 digital copy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I meant for recording streaming services.... it's basically a 1:1 digital copy
    If you're streaming onto a suitable device, yes, maybe. As I said, not using a PC, (or anything silimar) to do it that way. If I were doing that, of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information