Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,206
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,003 times in 709 posts

    GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    8-inch gaming UMPC previously was Intel Ice Lake only. Soon you can get Tiger Lake or AMD.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked
    195 times in 136 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    "PC Watch reckons the Intel version will be a better choice for gamers with the more powerful Intel Xe Graphics chip, but AMD will be a favoured choice for business, if someone might choose this device primarily for non-gaming tasks."

    Got to be honest I'd pick the AMD version for gaming. Intel have never show aptitude for decent drivers!
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  3. #3
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    376 times in 269 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    "PC Watch reckons the Intel version will be a better choice for gamers with the more powerful Intel Xe Graphics chip, but AMD will be a favoured choice for business, if someone might choose this device primarily for non-gaming tasks."

    Got to be honest I'd pick the AMD version for gaming. Intel have never show aptitude for decent drivers!
    I dunno, AMD drivers are pretty horrible. Although I do like the new "driver only" option.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    10 times in 8 posts

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    How do they know the Intel Xe will be more powerful? It might also be horrendously power hungry like the Intel CPU?

    If you are playing on 1280 x 800 you won't need much, a cheap mid-range graphics chip will be more than good enough.

  5. #5
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    376 times in 269 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    Quote Originally Posted by bae85 View Post
    How do they know the Intel Xe will be more powerful? It might also be horrendously power hungry like the Intel CPU?

    If you are playing on 1280 x 800 you won't need much, a cheap mid-range graphics chip will be more than good enough.
    We don't know until it's built. However, you'd be daft to go for the lower performing one if you're planning on using this for gaming. What is good enough now will be inadequate sooner in that case. But absolutely, one might be amazing on a test bed but awful when integrated into a small form factor like this.

  6. #6
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked
    195 times in 136 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I dunno, AMD drivers are pretty horrible. Although I do like the new "driver only" option.
    This is as always personal opinion but AMD are my preferred graphics drivers. Intels are released then zero support and always found nvidia just got worse for older cards over time once it wasn't 'current'. With AMD i've had new features arrive for my old rx480 including an auto OC which boosted it to faster than a rx580. I've always been one to hang on to stuff so AMD's long 'support + performance improvements' window has always tended me in that direction.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    Quote Originally Posted by bae85 View Post
    How do they know the Intel Xe will be more powerful? It might also be horrendously power hungry like the Intel CPU?

    If you are playing on 1280 x 800 you won't need much, a cheap mid-range graphics chip will be more than good enough.
    We already have devices with both Intel and AMD options. Also many handheld PC from recent months have the 1035/65U7 or 4600/4800U option, so we got that coverd. Intel has a lead in raw performance in gaming, but needs a lot of work on user side since the driver aren't there.

  8. #8
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    376 times in 269 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: GPD announces Win Max 2021 update with AMD APU option

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    This is as always personal opinion but AMD are my preferred graphics drivers. Intels are released then zero support and always found nvidia just got worse for older cards over time once it wasn't 'current'. With AMD i've had new features arrive for my old rx480 including an auto OC which boosted it to faster than a rx580. I've always been one to hang on to stuff so AMD's long 'support + performance improvements' window has always tended me in that direction.
    Myself, I have more crashes and graphics bugs since I moved to AMD from Nvidia in a few months than in years of the Nvidia card. I know someone who works with GPGPU / CUDA stuff. He asked me if I'd ever looked at the drivers and I said "I wouldn't have the first clue what I was looking at". He replied "that's AMD's problem as well".

    Certainly they do add features further down the line, but I'd prefer stability and not crashing out of games.

    As for Intel drivers - for integrated graphics, I'd only expect a basic driver to make it go and then only essential updates when it needs a push. I wouldn't say it's fair to compare them to discrete GPUs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •