Thread: Microsoft's consoles to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft's consoles to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

Remember, AMD launches this tech in games starting from 22nd June.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft's consoles to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

As long as the results are ok and the consoles support it, it will be great.
    I guess it's too early to say how great it will be though
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Smart move. Old nvidia are in the list, if it really works this way nvidia has a trouble.

Thanks

That sounds really nice to be honest, it would be a boost to my 1080ti and 1080 that I am using still, also...

unless prices on current 3080ti cards get on level or lower in price than what the 1080ti was, then I see no reason to buy their product, and probably get an AMD instead.

Am fed up with insane prices.

Thanks

Also I forgot to add, since it is now on consoles, that means that all games pretty much will support it, or start to support it = a big win to AMD for this round.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    Also I forgot to add, since it is now on consoles, that means that all games pretty much will support it, or start to support it = a big win to AMD for this round.
    Certainly expect the 'Triple-A' titles to start offering FSR support in the near future. I read somewhere that AMD's approach was less reliant upon AI, therefore less 'training' of neural nets is involved.

Here's hoping the developer input is such that smaller indie-developers are able to make great use of this technique as well.

Thanks

It'll be interesting to see if this becomes popular in the console space. For a while now, consoles have used dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) to perk up performance, in a way I haven't really seen on Windows. Nvidia's DLSS and AMD's FFXSR features are (in horribly simplistic terms) "drop the res, then sharpen the upscale + tricks" to achieve a similar effect, usually with fixed resolution drops (defined by the performance level selected).

If DRS techniques can be interwoven with FFXSR features on console (and ideally in Windows too) then this could be quite interesting. The main downside of DLSS is the base resolution drop it uses before AI-upscale. If this can be properly dynamic, with a target framerate window, then the resolution hit could be minimised in many cases, with DLSS/FFXSR picking up the slack with then DRS has to drop hard to keep action smooth.

My guess is such tech will work its way into the popular engines (Unity, UE etc) and the results could be quite nice, esp as raytracing on console is such a performance hit. Indeed, it is probably the only way we'll see raytracing on console this gen, once the "not ports from the previous gen" games kick in.

Interesting times.

Edit, I'm also imagining how the framrate window could be used in conjunction with VRR facilities. In a way, it is a shame all this is necessary so soon in the generation, but conversely, it could make for some pretty spectacular stuff once devs sink their teeth in...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Irien View Post
    For a while now, consoles have used dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) to perk up performance, in a way I haven't really seen on Windows.
    It's present in several games on Windows - often the same ones that offer it on consoles.

Nvidia's DLSS and AMD's FFXSR features are (in horribly simplistic terms) "drop the res, then sharpen the upscale + tricks" to achieve a similar effect, usually with fixed resolution drops (defined by the performance level selected).

If DRS techniques can be interwoven with FFXSR features on console (and ideally in Windows too) then this could be quite interesting. The main downside of DLSS is the base resolution drop it uses before AI-upscale. If this can be properly dynamic, with a target framerate, then the resolution hit could be minimised in many cases, with DLSS/FFXSR picking up the slack with then DRS has to drop hard to keep action smooth.
    I think what you're saying is the DLSS disadvantage is the limited number of resolutions that can be upscaled from/to, vs a higher number of intermediary resolutions when more generic upscaling is used. And I agree - though DLSS could one day end up with enough from/to models that it would be useful to either oversample the target resolution or undersample and upscale through more generic methods, whatever the resolution.

My guess is such tech will work its way into the popular engines (Unity, UE etc) and the results could be quite nice, esp as raytracing on console is such a performance hit. Indeed, it is probably the only way we'll see raytracing on console this gen, once the "not ports from the previous gen" games kick in.
    Agreed - though no doubt devs will learn some tricks that give very good results even considering the lack of ray tracing grunt.

Thread Information