Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purported Intel Alder Lake 'K' processor specs shared

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Purported Intel Alder Lake 'K' processor specs shared

And Core i9-12900K, i7-12700K, and i5-12600K ES chips get benchmarked.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Purported Intel Alder Lake 'K' processor specs shared

by "with the chip adequately cooled" do they mean by one of those "portable" trolley air-con machines again?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ghz,37244.html

If the power usage is still 80-140% worse than the AMD 5000 series, which looking at those power levels, it might well be, and if they still don't offer pcie4.0, and with only 8big+8little vs 16full core 32 threads on the AMD, why would people want to switch exactly?
    Last edited by ik9000; 15-07-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    by "with the chip adequately cooled" do they mean by one of those "portable" trolley air-con machines again?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ghz,37244.html

If the power usage is still 80-140% worse than the AMD 5000 series, which looking at those power levels, it might well be, and if they still don't offer pcie4.0, and with only 8big+8little vs 16full core 32 threads on the AMD, why would people want to switch exactly?
    They'd only switch if the power levels were a lot less in "normal" use, which doesn't appear to be the case on first look
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Highly sceptical that desktops need heterogeneous computing architectures. I can understand saving a bit of power on a phone (or a laptop) while it idles but seems a waste of time and silicon space on desktops. Not to mention all the added complexity it adds with scheduling (Windows has a poor track record there).

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by een4dja View Post
    Highly sceptical that desktops need heterogeneous computing architectures. I can understand saving a bit of power on a phone (or a laptop) while it idles but seems a waste of time and silicon space on desktops. Not to mention all the added complexity it adds with scheduling (Windows has a poor track record there).
    Yep, but if they have to do all that R&D for the laptops, they aren't going to want to separately develop the desktop stuff which I suspect is the smaller segment now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Yep, but if they have to do all that R&D for the laptops, they aren't going to want to separately develop the desktop stuff which I suspect is the smaller segment now.
    Windows 11 *cough*

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 11 is reported to have scheduler changes. https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/05/windows-10-successor-will-ship-with-massive-scheduling-updates/

This will almost certainly have been done to support Big.Little CPU's. Also there is plenty of tasks that could be run on Little cores. A lot of "background tasks" that are idling in the system tray. Heck even your Browser could use the. The Big cores could then be used for running Games or other CPU intensive applications.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavDarkelf View Post
    Windows 11 is reported to have scheduler changes. https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/0...uling-updates/

This will almost certainly have been done to support Big.Little CPU's. Also there is plenty of tasks that could be run on Little cores. A lot of "background tasks" that are idling in the system tray. Heck even your Browser could use the. The Big cores could then be used for running Games or other CPU intensive applications.
    That is REALLY old news. Running Win 11 as I'm on the Windows Insider Program and many of the scheduler changes were done ages ago - however they found that Win 10 needed substantial rewrites to actually make use of mixed core types in one cpu efficiently - thus Win 11 came about

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

When a core can down clock as well they often can now I 100% agree. This is a laptop fix being bolted into desktop as they can barely be bothered to support pure desktop anymore. They know they've lost the race on desktop to AMD so are happy to just make do. I'm sure they'll still make plenty of sales to those individuals who just buy intel.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    When a core can down clock as well they often can now I 100% agree. This is a laptop fix being bolted into desktop as they can barely be bothered to support pure desktop anymore. They know they've lost the race on desktop to AMD so are happy to just make do. I'm sure they'll still make plenty of sales to those individuals who just buy intel.
    So why are AMD looking at doing the same thing then? Problem is Apple are promoting EXACTLY this on desktop, so to keep up Intel and AMD basically have to look at it. A decent ARM based sbc could run Win 11 nicely and that is why we are seeing Win 11 and different core setups

Thanks

Also don't forget that Windows365 is being touted as well now....
    This really could signal the end of X86 and power hungry cpu's for ever

Registered+
    Thanks

Plenty of tasks could run on one extra big core too rather then 8 crap little ones. Still doesn't mean it's a good fit for desktops.

Also there's the server market which is probably much more lucrative than the consumer space, where it makes even less sense to have a big.LITTLE architecture, the R&D pumped into that could be easily leveraged for desktop.

Furthermore, the latency/overhead of switching between the core types isn't negligible and energy aware scheduling is hard. For example if you have a time critical thread in an application that's dispatching work, it might exhibit a "low" workload that could warrant it being placed on an efficient core but at the same time might reduce the entire throughput/performance of your application.

Registered+
    Thanks

"Intel's 10nm SuperFin Alder Lake"

Tiger Lake is on SuperFIn. Alder Lake is on 10esf ... Enhanced SuperFin ... same as on Sapphire Rapids. It's a higher performance process, which perhaps is responsible for the extra 300MHz in boost reported in this leak vs for TGL-H.

Thanks

Plenty of tasks could run on one extra big core too rather then 8 crap little ones. Still doesn't mean it's a good fit for desktops.

Also there's the server market which is probably much more lucrative than the consumer space, where it makes even less sense to have a big.LITTLE architecture, the R&D pumped into that could be easily leveraged for desktop.

Furthermore, the latency/overhead of switching between the core types isn't negligible and energy aware scheduling is hard. For example if you have a time critical thread in an application that's dispatching work, it might exhibit a "low" workload that could warrant it being placed on an efficient core but at the same time might reduce the entire throughput/performance of your application.
    All things that seem to be pretty much sorted on Linux for example, and now OSX

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

125W, 228W
    So what does the CPU pull using the little cores then? If it's 125W, that isn't efficient.

Thanks

White Elephant. Do we REALY need low perf cores on a desktop? Intel is panicking. I mean people have a brain, if what I do is Excel and browsing I will simply get a Celeron or at most i3. Video editors, 3D artists and gamers are the ones buying 8 cores and above and have GPUs eating +300w coz what we care is time to do stuff quick. Will I ever see an ARM based Mx cpu beating a Threadripper? Not in my life time. Apple has its fan base and content creators will never be into proprietary stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information