Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Have you ever bought a pre-built desktop?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: Have you ever bought a pre-built desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    .... Also very guilty of being one of those who doesn't mod a car, but just updates it for a newer model. That's actually quite a good analogy to use.
    Yes, it is.

I haven't modded a car since my teens, and that was Hobson's choice. I could afford an older car and the mod's, but not the newer (and better spec'd) model.

But I haven't modded (*) a car in ages, as the factory-fresh one does the job I want. These days, so would a custom PC.

(*) In terms of modding a car, I'm excluding fitting or upgrading the sound and/or security systems. Those, I most emphatically have done on every new car since my teenage years. But I don't regard that as modding the car. I could say much the same about PCs as I nearly always upgrade their sound capabilities, but in recent years, through mainly external devices.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

2. Received thanks from:

Iota (13-06-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

It would be interesting to know how many computers in homes (not businesses), let's say in the UK, are home built. I'm guessing maybe 0.1%.

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many computers in homes (not businesses), let's say in the UK, are home built. I'm guessing maybe 0.1%.
    I think you might get shocked. There has been a huge growth in people building there own now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    Interesting point.

I'd guess (and this is just based on people I know) about 50% my friends/family, and maybe more than that, use a laptop only. Which doesn't count in this thread.

Of those remaining, with desktop systems, I'd guess more like 50% have either home-built or shop-bought custom/modified PCs. And sure, part of that will be my influence, having often been asked for advice, but a bigger part is that most of my friends.family are pretty computer-literate.

But extend that to the general public, a lot of whom aren't computer-literate (though that's far less common than say 20 years ago) and I honestly wouldn't like to even guess what percentage it is. It would totally be a WAG, not even a mildly informed guess.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

back in the days of PCMart and MicroMart (classifieds and cheap listings papers) my first PC was a 486 DX2/80 prebuilt that came in at around 550 UKP for the tower only

that's the first and last prebuilt. Pretty good experience, got a free mobo upgrade on it but the graphics adaptor fell out in transit. Easy enough to fix up.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks

Not since I moved out on my own, though prior to that, my family had prebuilts. Initially a local whitebox builder, but later Sony and HP. The build quality from the local place was quite low (they no longer exist), while the Sony was very well-built, with the HP in between.

Granted, I've kept the same desktop in operation, with upgrades, since moving out on my own. Normally I'd say I plan to build my next one as well, but given component shortages of late, I'd consider a prebuilt if it meant I could get the components I wanted when build-your-own didn't. It'd have to be similarly quiet, however; I don't want to switch to a noise box.

Thanks
    • raygdunn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B365M D3H
      • CPU:
      • water cooled i7 9700
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2666
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb M2 SSD (+Seagate 500Gb hidden round the back)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX1660
      • PSU:
      • 550W 140mm fan
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Prolite 22" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • ~36Mb fibre to cabinet

No. Always built my own. Originally for cost. Now I just enjoy it.
    Only pre-builts ones I've used have been work supplied or there was a HP base unit that I won.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post

I highly doubt you'll get a better warranty period on a prebuilt PC compared to individual components, individual components tend to at least match prebuilt system warranties, or in many cases exceed those offered (such as 10 years on a PSU or 5 years on an NVMe drive etc). Cable management isn't hard and doesn't take long to do properly.

As for the point about driver issues / compatibility issues? I haven't seen those for a decade (literally, pre Sandy Bridge was the last time I saw those problems).

Also sending off an entire system seems particularly cumbersome, especially when you can get advanced replacements on most parts (had a replacement monitor dealt with this way). I'm not sure I've ever seen an option to have an entire prebuilt system offer an advanced replacement service? However if you think £100 extra is worth those additional hassles, feel free to spend it.
    It's worth the money for the less hassle. When a component goes that's the computer out of action anyway, unless you're hoarding spares, and even then you've got to mess around trying to make it work (which is not guaranteed).
    A decent system warranty is comprehensive; especially if you're paying for it. Component warranties are so full of ifs and buts that it can be not worth it. Years ago (on a pre-built system) I had a component fail and the supplier wouldn't replace it like-for-like, they wanted to give me a worse component. This was all fine because it was written into their garbage 'warrenty'.

I do feel free to spend because my time isn't worthless; I always have to weigh up cost in money vs cost in time and effort. If you enjoy putting computers together then good for you, pat yourself on the back, but don't pretend it's some sort of 'superior' option. It isn't.

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Last pre-built I bought was an Acorn RiscPC in 1996.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yep I've bought one from Scan, but I usually build my own. The only time I did was for tax reasons. The flat rate VAT scheme allowed me to claim back the VAT on purchases over £2k. So it was easier to do this with a complete system than components.

Never had to use the warranty for any of it, which is good as I've pulled it apart and reassembled several times since new and now it's runnging in a completely different case.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • NiPPonD3nZ0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 3220
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Red 2x4GB
      • Storage:
      • 1xSSD Samsung 840 120GB - 1x WD Green 3TB - 1x Hitachi 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS EN8600GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VS550
      • Case:
      • OEM "City Desk Oceanus"
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 2009v 20" + LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD's
      • Internet:
      • MEO ADSL 6Mbps

My first computer was a prebuilt Olivetti PCS Educator 486/50 ... Awesome machine! 2x CD-ROM, 500MB HDD, 4MB RAM... Wish I still had it! From this one on I've always built my own... Latest build is an Ryzen 5 5600X, but is kinda being upgraded over the years... Still rocking my blue tinted acrylic case from 2004 and my GeForce 980 4GB from 2015. It's funny, because now I've being on a purchase spree of old prebuilts! I have now a couple of Compaq Presarios AMD K6/2, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (Pentium 200 MMX), a Compaq ProLiant 5500 Server, found an eMachines eTower 633IDs and bought that too (Upgraded it from a Celeron 633 to an Pentium III 850MHz, then slapped a couple of VooDoo 2 in SLI in them and ive been playing MDK 2 on that like crazy), then an IBM Aptiva Pentium 166 (non MMX)... Also have an IBM PC330/450 (486DX 50, kinda fill my hole for the Olivetti)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

My last prebuilt was a Tiny PC Pentium 200 MMX back in 1996/7 I think when I was a 15/16 year old? Built my own ever since.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Since 2002,
    not only keep building my own desktop computers, I also establish & build desktop pc's for (probably a few dozens of) my friends.
    I neither had, nor used laptop computers in my whole life.
    Since 2002, countless ultra expensive (so called "cutting edge") laptops come and gone... Custom build desktops are always progress through time.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozkrmz View Post
    Since 2002,
    not only keep building my own desktop computers, I also establish & build desktop pc's for (probably a few dozens of) my friends.
    I neither had, nor used laptop computers in my whole life.
    Since 2002, countless ultra expensive (so called "cutting edge") laptops come and gone... Custom build desktops are always progress through time.
    Most people I know don't have a desktop anymore - laptops can be used anywhere in the house and connected to an external monitor if a bigger display is required. An external storage device and/or the cloud can take care of all your storage needs. Unless you use a PC for gaming or heavy duty work related tasks such as CAD, video editing, whatever; what's the point of them? having said that, I'm not about to give up my desktop or laptop!

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by selfishtoaster View Post
    If you enjoy putting computers together then good for you, pat yourself on the back, but don't pretend it's some sort of 'superior' option. It isn't.
    Completely subjective. It depends on what you're building and if you have the time available. I guess I'm lucky I have the time and enjoy it, without any serious issues of note since doing so.

Thanks

would say my 386SX at wooping 16mhz was pre-built... it had a turbo button as well... so you can switch between 8 and 16mhz.

Started with 1mb ram over 4 sticks... later on upgraded to 4mb.... uh... it had 256kb GFX card too... on top of that it had 90mb HDD and of course a 3.5" floppy drive.

Somehow the 14" monitor could picture SVGA as well, found that out on my next system my 486DX100, think it also had a turbo button haha.

My C64 before that was also pre-built, however got it modified.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information