Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft says support for Windows 10 will end in Oct 2025

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft says support for Windows 10 will end in Oct 2025

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    It was meant to be, and they did say that. which, looking on the positive side might mean that MS were planning on going the subscription route for it, especially given the whole Office 365 thing, but just maybe have noticed the reluctance and resentment of being forced into that route from a large percentage of users (though others are equally happy with it) and decided to reverse that hypothecised decision for the reluctant group. Which means, if they can't get the likes of me paying a subscription every month, they're going to want us upgrading and paying for that instead.

And that I will happily do provided what is being offered in the "upgrade" actually is an upgrade, and to me, is worth the price. I don't mind paying for software I actually like and use. I've bought several packages recently, including two in the last month. But whatever the changes are to justify a new version have to justify to me that it is value for money, or I won't upgrade. And just as with Adobe, no matter how good or how much a market leader they are, trying to strong-arm me into a subscription will just result in me switchung software. For most of my computer usage, I've already moved it to Linux. The bit that is still using Windows means whatever W11 offers is going to have to be pretty special to convince me it's worth spending money on it, when judging by W10, I didn't actually want it at all .... even as a "free" upgrade.
    Yeah i would have to agree, the subscription models suck. I havent bought windows since 7 and then i got the free upgrade to 10 pro. I was happy with 7 but like you say they forced everyone to 10. I think if windows went subscription, then there would be a row of complaints. I havent used office since university where i got it for free and i wouldnt use it now unless it was given to me for free in its current plan. I much prefer buying my software once than paying a monthly fee for it. I know a lot of people hate the adobe plans and how expensive they are, youre pretty much just renting software.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

I'm fairly certain they touted windows 10 as an OS you'd never have to change again.. probably misread it, or they didn't see that selling software once, for life would make any money; can't be the latter, right?

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Oh great, so not only have I got loads of 2012 R2 servers going EOL in 2023, I also now have many hundreds of Win 10 endpoints to migrate two years later too!

Thanks

Could be worse, imagine all those companies that still haven't finished their move to Windows 10 yet

5. Received thanks from:

dannyboy75 (19-06-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information