Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 33 to 42 of 42

Thread: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

  1. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Because if they do go through the effort, the results are superior.
    But no nv in consoles is the point. So the question is why would you bother to enable dlss unless nv pay you to do it...
    It's going to be interesting, especially as fsr works on older nv cards too
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  2. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    304 times in 221 posts

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    But no nv in consoles is the point. So the question is why would you bother to enable dlss unless nv pay you to do it...
    It's going to be interesting, especially as fsr works on older nv cards too
    Because the PC Market is also quite large and does not pale in comparison to consoles and Nvidia GPUs are still the overwhelming majority (maybe not RTX but certainly mindshare). And it is also very likely that implementing Gameworks and therefore DLSS does provide some kickback from Nvidia for use and branding.

  3. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Because the PC Market is also quite large and does not pale in comparison to consoles and Nvidia GPUs are still the overwhelming majority (maybe not RTX but certainly mindshare). And it is also very likely that implementing Gameworks and therefore DLSS does provide some kickback from Nvidia for use and branding.
    And the majority of nv gpus DON'T support DLSS 2.0 - and if you read the reviews early FSR is comparable to DLSS 1.0
    Steam survey *cough*

    So free technology V a company well known for being greedy and untrustworthy....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  4. #36
    Ravens Nest
    Guest

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    I downloaded the rift breaker demo and FSR works on my Nvidia gtx 970!

    There's a YouTube video in Russian where he tests a couple of games with the 970 using FSR, (nearly) free performance win win for me.


  5. Received thanks from:

    CAT-THE-FIFTH (24-06-2021),Xlucine (24-06-2021)

  6. #37
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,907
    Thanks
    3,857
    Thanked
    5,160 times in 3,973 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    It seems DF TAAU testing was also flawed:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._mistake_with/

    Digital Foundry made a critical mistake with their Kingshunt FSR Testing - TAAU apparently disables Depth of Field. Depth of Field causes the character model to look blurry even at Native settings (no upscaling)
    From that thread:

    Native



    TAAU



    Once you disable DoF for FSR Ultra Quality:



    TAAU



    On OcUK forums someone made a sceenshot of the DF review.



    It shows FSR looks closer to the native image,and the TAAU image looks much sharper.

    Apparently also AMD isn't putting a lot of sharpening into FSR images,ie,using tools such as Radeon CAS helps out.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 24-06-2021 at 03:38 PM.

  7. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    It's a better upscaler then most of the other ones, but as the 1080p images show it's still pretty limited. The 4k images work better because the source textures aren't good enough in the games shown so are effectively already upscaled in native 4k - hence using FSR is just another more efficient way of doing the same thing.

  8. #39
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,907
    Thanks
    3,857
    Thanked
    5,160 times in 3,973 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    It seems there are still issues with the DF coverage:
    https://twitter.com/JirayD/status/1408383962498613251#

    Quote Originally Posted by Dribble View Post
    It's a better upscaler then most of the other ones, but as the 1080p images show it's still pretty limited. The 4k images work better because the source textures aren't good enough in the games shown so are effectively already upscaled in native 4k - hence using FSR is just another more efficient way of doing the same thing.
    Even though DLSS is better,both Gamersnexus and Hardware Unboxed showed the same issue. DLSS at 4K is noticeably better than at lower resolutions,as there is less information to work with. Another issue is analysing just still images - because issues such as trailing/ghosting affected DLSS1.0 and TAAU more than say DLSS2.0/2.2 and apparently FSR.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-06-2021 at 03:12 PM.

  9. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    It seems there are still issues with the DF coverage:
    https://twitter.com/JirayD/status/1408383962498613251#



    Even though DLSS is better,both Gamersnexus and Hardware Unboxed showed the same issue. DLSS at 4K is noticeably better than at lower resolutions,as there is less information to work with. Another issue is analysing just still images - because issues such as trailing/ghosting affected DLSS1.0 and TAAU more than say DLSS2.0/2.2 and apparently FSR.
    There is the same % of information to work with upscaling from 1080p or 4k as they both start from a lower resolution containing the same % of pixels vs the native one. The difference is the 1080p image has more information in it per pixel because the source data provides more information. For example if you use a 2k texture at 1080p then you can effectively supersample AA it for a as sharp as possible an image as 1080p can give you. If you use that same texture at 4k it's already past it's limits and being internally upscaled so the texture quality per pixel won't be as good - you'd need a 8k texture for that. Hence upscaling will show less loss of information because effectively there wasn't as much to start with, hence it doesn't feel as blurry.

    Like you say this is true for all upscalers including DLSS, but DLSS is better because it's got more processing power behind it (all those tensor cores) so is smarter and it's temporal so has several frames worth of data to work with not just one.

  10. #41
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,953
    Thanks
    1,846
    Thanked
    3,357 times in 2,698 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Quote Originally Posted by Dribble View Post
    Like you say this is true for all upscalers including DLSS, but DLSS is better because it's got more processing power behind it (all those tensor cores) so is smarter and it's temporal so has several frames worth of data to work with not just one.
    Temporal bit helps certainly, as shown in Epic's own TSR, but the bolded bit isn't the case. DLSS is better because it's reconstructing content - this isn't really much to do with processing power, but instead the model based 'if I start with these bits of information then my training suggests this is the correct reconstruction'.

  11. #42
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,907
    Thanks
    3,857
    Thanked
    5,160 times in 3,973 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Tested

    Hardware Unboxed tested FSR on IGPs and older GPUs with DOTA2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxHsuZP2y0



    Basically because DOTA is not very taxing,and like most upscalers 1080p isn't the ideal resolution in terms of image quality,it seems the game really does not need FSR at 1080p. However,it seems to make the most sense at 4K and maybe 1440p if you want decent FPS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •