• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Openreach shares list of 551 FTTP rollout locations

So a lot of Kent and the Southeast is not getting it in the next few years including some very high population density places,ie,the very same places which are not too far off London.

But not shocking when BT can just about guarantee 60~70MB in our local area. Virgin,OTH,can give you upto 500MB.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 26-06-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

It's not all about population density, although it is a major consideration. There are plenty of other factors influencing commercial build decisions including access to and condition of existing infrastructure including ducts and poles, availability and space for headend equipment (fibre headend is often not the same as exchange, especially for smaller exchanges), local council planning permission, etc. Other considerations include competition in the area; there will obviously tend to be lower take-up in areas where Virgin already provide service for instance. And then there is workforce availability - while you can have parallel builds going on throughout the country, it would pose an entirely different set of challenges trying to have intense build activity in one part of the country (e.g. workers having to commute huge distances, closing multiple roads in a given area for inevitable duct-clearing work, etc).

It's important to remember that Openreach's commercial rollouts which they fund themselves are not the same as public financed builds that they also get contracts for. The end product may be the same but their funding source is entirely different.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Its no point boasting about improving infrastructure in some village,where whole parts of the country which need the infrastructure improvements are not getting it,especially in areas where demand on services is much higher and the infrastructure is much older. Problems end up affecting far more people due to the density of connections,and not upgrading the infrastructure,which is shared amongst more people leads to poor service,either in speeds or line stability. There is a huge difference betwene what speeds BT says you can get,and what you end up getting. A lot of people who would be commuting into London would be working from home,so its actually economically criticial for Kent,the South,etc to get these investments. This is a commuting town. BT are getting funding.

The following is my personal experience of Openreach locally.

The fact is Virgin had no problems getting its infrastructure up and going out of its own pocket,so its more the fact Openreach is just useless here(one of their engineers told me this) despite the councils giving them assistance. Parts of the local area not only have 50+ year old copper cabling but aluminium cabling - there are people who can't get Virgin in some parts,who literally having speeds of a few MB(at best). Its easier to use your phone!

Considering they were so incompetent they couldn't figure out a simple box problem for loads of people around for a year(including where I am). In fact it might have been longer - because I was barely getting 2~3MB until 2018,despite it being a "10~20MB" service.

Even then it was terrible at times. My mobile phone contract was consistently 5 to 20X that. I uploaded almost all the videos for this review on my tethered smartphone:
    https://forums.hexus.net/reader-revi...enchmarks.html

It was so terrible I used to buy boxed games,ie,to minimise the amount of dowloading required or if I went to a LAN,would download games then. Netflix - what Netflix!

Even after they finally upgraded the service to 40MB,for another 12~15 months it was so unreliable that it would just cut out all the time,and eventually tended to go below 10MB. Eventually it took one of the newer engineers to find what the problem was,but not until my ISP paid for them to replace the test socket,the cabling from the test socket to the external socket,new external socket,then the cable from that to the pole,etc. My ISP must have been paying a lot of money for this. The engineer basically told me the management was a bunch of jobsworths,who did the bare minimum in trying to actually solve any problems,as they CBA actually going out so loaded all the work onto the younger,less experienced engineers.

The culprit was the local connection box which was ancient,and hadn't been properly maintained for years by Openreach. There were bare wire connections everywhere which after a few decades had oxidised,and others where the insulation had frayed and shorted with other connections. So we were lucky,not like other parts which actually didn't used aluminium.

The engineer showed me a sample of it,and people like them had told management(apparently),but apparently they just stayed in the office,ignored it and palmed off a lot of the jobs they needed to do on the younger engineers. If Openreach had done their job in the first place,none of this would have happened.

However,they are quite happy to roll out FFTC to a richer,but much lower density area a few miles away is very telling IMHO(the service already is decent there).Like I said the engineer was disgusted by the attitude of their management and their incompetence.

Only since last year have I managed to get more or less stable 40~60MB connection locally. I suspect it must have been the ISPs getting fedup by the repeated service issues,forcing them to fix some of the problems, and it could have been 100s or even 1000s of people over the last few years.

Its why I have such a favourable opinion of mobile broadband - in my case its has meant I had a very solid backup for our useless local service.

Yes, you can tell I don't have a good opinion of Openreach locally.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 26-06-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by bonesd69 View Post
    I live in High Wycombe - a very high density residential area.
    Never thought it was that high density, mainly due to the industrial estate up the top near Cressex road. Meh, I only worked up there for a while, it's probably changed in the last 20+ years.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Why wouldn't you go where the highest demand is first?
    But the folk who want to live the rural life deserve faster internet more than those who it's more financially economical to provide it to.
    This is people demanding that they have their cake and eat it.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    But the folk who want to live the rural life deserve faster internet more than those who it's more financially economical to provide it to.
    This is people demanding that they have their cake and eat it.
    Honestly I live in a town, I can go 5-10 miles to somewhere that is rural (probably <50 homes) and they have had FTTH for years courtesy of Openreach. Their rollout program makes little sense on the face of it.

Thanks

The thing is though, you have to apply some common sense and make the assumption that Openreach aren't deliberately sabotaging themselves. The situation could arise for a number of reasons; if the FTTP rollout there is several years old it could be one of the older (and possibly public finance supported) rural-targeted rollouts where FTTC was unviable for example. On the other hand there could be planning permission or infrastructure access issues in your town. Or there could be competitive services like Virgin Media perhaps?

Even if the town is attractive from a commercial standpoint for the current rollout, that doesn't mean every such location will be covered overnight.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Quote Originally Posted by madman045 View Post
    Just a shame very few new housing developers are requesting FTTC let alone FTTP services from Openreach.
    My sisters house was built only a few years ago and they were stuck with 17mbps max. Baffles me as it must cost way more to install the right cables after the estate is finished.

Starting to wonder if they're just going to start installing 5G towers everywhere, give everyone 5G routers and call it a day.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza63 View Post
    My sisters house was built only a few years ago and they were stuck with 17mbps max. Baffles me as it must cost way more to install the right cables after the estate is finished.

Starting to wonder if they're just going to start installing 5G towers everywhere, give everyone 5G routers and call it a day.
    That's not the developer's problem - getting modern internet run through the place would shave a hundred quid or so off the 10s of thousands of pounds profit they make on each house

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Or there could be competitive services like Virgin Media perhaps?
    I wish....

OwP
    Registered+
    Thanks

My local town is being done at the moment. When I drive home from nights at 2am there are loads of teams working I don think people realise how much work is involved.

Also worth checking the independents, they work through local councils and receive government grants. This lot have done my local exchange the surrounding villages in Kent. They use Openreach ductwork and the telephone poles to get the cable to your house.

https://www.trooli.com/coverage/

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    That's not the developer's problem - getting modern internet run through the place would shave a hundred quid or so off the 10s of thousands of pounds profit they make on each house
    I have sat in meetings with developers and some of them I literally quote "I don't care about the people living here, I care about making profit. Now what can we do to make this cheaper but still comply with the ERs?" That was to do with comm-entry systems and security doors etc in a block of flats. Not something trivial in that part of town. I'm not saying all developers are like that, but there are enough who are. Only £100 per house on a 100 unit development? Yup they'll slash that given half a chance. I've seen them swap bolts to a lesser quality of durability just to save x% per bolt. Net saving not much, but "it all adds up".

I've also seen a different developer refuse to get BT, Sky and Virgin pre installed to all flats in a new resi scheme despite it being evidently quicker and easier all round to let them do so in the M&E cores and laying cables to each apartment as part of the first fix while the finishes aren't in. Again, "we don't have to do it, so we're not spending the money. If the tenant wants to get it later they can work that out with the freeholder." SFAIK they put in BT only, and I'm not sure if that wasn't just RJ11. People wonder why new build gets such a bad rep but I have seen enough to feel it's not entirely undeserved.

13. Received thanks from:

Xlucine (28-06-2021)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    I wish....
    competing at prices hikes and BS "contracts" perhaps? I was quite happy with VM until they started this nonsense about RPI hikes, then make up a % to suit them, and even apply it 3 months into an 18 month contract. It's a joke this is allowed. Ofcom might as well be scrapped for all the good it does.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I have sat in meetings with developers and some of them I literally quote "I don't care about the people living here, I care about making profit. Now what can we do to make this cheaper but still comply with the ERs?" That was to do with comm-entry systems and security doors etc in a block of flats. Not something trivial in that part of town. I'm not saying all developers are like that, but there are enough who are. Only £100 per house on a 100 unit development? Yup they'll slash that given half a chance. I've seen them swap bolts to a lesser quality of durability just to save x% per bolt. Net saving not much, but "it all adds up".

I've also seen a different developer refuse to get BT, Sky and Virgin pre installed to all flats in a new resi scheme despite it being evidently quicker and easier all round to let them do so in the M&E cores and laying cables to each apartment as part of the first fix while the finishes aren't in. Again, "we don't have to do it, so we're not spending the money. If the tenant wants to get it later they can work that out with the freeholder." SFAIK they put in BT only, and I'm not sure if that wasn't just RJ11. People wonder why new build gets such a bad rep but I have seen enough to feel it's not entirely undeserved.
    Openreach won't cable up copper to new estates of more than a few houses now. Its fibre only now so developers don't have a choice now (Although some big housing developers now run their own ISPs and own fibre lines so they can make even more money!). Its also estates of less than a few years old which tend to be picked for FTTP (As they usually have nice clean ducting into every house making install a breeze). I read thinkbroadband/ispreview and they put out a lot of info on this sort of thing.

Its old 70s housing estates like mine that are at the back of the list. 50 year old ducting which will have mostly collapsed makes install a right pain vs new ducting or telegraph poles. I won't be getting FTTP for a long time!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

so we might get bare minimum FTTP by 2026, it's going to be old technology by then.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • neepheid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Corsair MP510 NVMe SSD, 512GB HDD, 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY XLR8 GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-SX500-LG 500W SFX-L 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo T8
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 500MBit/s FTTP

I already have 500MBit/s FTTP in Aberdeen through Vodafone/CityFibre. Is BT's offering from my exchange in addition to this service?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information