Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

does my brothers car count? He owns an bmw i3, and each year he sees his battery charge fall, meaning the battery pack is clearly hold less and less charge each year. My neighbor own a Nissan leaf and has the same worry.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    I don't believe the range is enough and the charge times are to long. The cost of a new battery it is also to high and has currently been proven to make a second hand car not worth it by the time you get a new battery. I believe hydrogen cars is the way forward. filling up hydrogen cars is similar to petrol cars and you don't have to worry about any high cars to replace a battery.
    I think the range is pretty on par with my highly inefficient ICE, so that isn't a concern. New battery prices though? Second hand car point? Absolutely agreed. If they can produce enough Green Hydrogen and not Grey Hydrogen, that would be the far more sensible choice for clean driving imho.

Quote Originally Posted by greg1970 View Post
    Too costly. We bought another ICE last year and awaits the future for another generation.
    Agreed, way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Infrastructure round here is pretty shocking, and even in the locations where chargers do exist (mainly supermarkets) you get 1 or 2 charging points....

My main issue is if I did run out of juice I could be in the middle of nowhere, with no mobile signal too in some cases...it's not like you can just walk to a petrol station for a few gallons of electric either. I know some AA trucks have electric chargers but it's not ideal.

Personally I prefer the hybrid approach.
    Infrastructure anywhere outside of London is pretty awful, also what about people who don't have driveways to charge cars? So little thought has gone into the rush to push for electric vehicles, let alone the ability to produce enough electric to charge them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Driller13 View Post
    Smart meter tells me that my electricity usage has gone up by around £10 per week.
    I don't even spend that on Petrol each week....

Quote Originally Posted by six_tymes View Post
    does my brothers car count? He owns an bmw i3, and each year he sees his battery charge fall, meaning the battery pack is clearly hold less and less charge each year. My neighbor own a Nissan leaf and has the same worry.
    Does anyone know the actual usable life of a battery in the cars? Considering the cost of a new BEV, the second hand market isn't going to be worth looking at if the battery has been degraded and not replaced prior to resale.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    I think the range is pretty on par with my highly inefficient ICE, so that isn't a concern. New battery prices though? Second hand car point? Absolutely agreed. If they can produce enough Green Hydrogen and not Grey Hydrogen, that would be the far more sensible choice for clean driving imho.

Infrastructure anywhere outside of London is pretty awful, also what about people who don't have driveways to charge cars? So little thought has gone into the rush to push for electric vehicles, let alone the ability to produce enough electric to charge them all.

Does anyone know the actual usable life of a battery in the cars? Considering the cost of a new BEV, the second hand market isn't going to be worth looking at if the battery has been degraded and not replaced prior to resale.
    If you are so interested there are plenty videos on youtube that cover most of these points. Fully Charged with Robert Llewellyn (Kryton) is pretty good. Re: charging an electric car it's actually in our rental terms we can't have one - mind you with approx 100 foot MINIMUM from a plug to our car it's a moot point anyhoo. Nearest charger is then only 1 mile away, but it's at Volvo Trucks UK lol

The battery issues are massive. Many cars you only rent the battery, relative has a leaf and she only does under 20 miles a week and for that it's fine. Previous leaf only had 30% battery life left at end of rental and range was 20 miles on a good day and 5!!!!! when below freezing
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post

Also companies are sourcing, for example, 2nd gen leaf batteries and refitting them to first gen and 2nd gen from crashed cars. It's about £10k to do so, so not cost effective at all
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

getting on great with my zoe, laugh each week when i charge it up for £3 and that is on £.13kwh so not even the cheap rate of £0.05 that the night rate is.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Think like most I don't have one yet. I bought a fairly cheap Fiesta that's reliable and reasonably new. Most economical thing for me to do is to run it into the ground (building new cars is not exactly great for the environment). Once it dies or becomes unreasonable to maintain, then my next car will probably be electric.

Thanks
    • Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Driller13 View Post
    3 months with a new Range Rover P400E
    I'm confused. It looks like you're saying fist that you have to charge it after 25 miles:
    Get about 25 miles out of the battery and charge it every night.
    and then you're saying:
    With my routine I am seeing 1,000 miles per tank of fuel.
    What tank of fuel?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium View Post
    I'm confused. It looks like you're saying fist that you have to charge it after 25 miles:

and then you're saying:

What tank of fuel?
    It's a plug in hybrid, and 31 miles range (official spec) is more than enough for most people's daily journeys. It would certainly be enough for most of mine.

So she charges it every night, and mostly runs the car on electric power. I guess occasionally the car switches to petrol and uses a bit, so every 1000 miles it needs topping up. For a 2.5tonne tractor that isn't bad.

OFC I've known people with diesel cars that claim to top up every 700 miles. Depends on size of tank and where/how you drive.

Thanks

My business is looking to treat me to a Dodge RAM 1500 TRX. 6.2lts and 700 bhp of American muscle in a pickup. Low business tax. Whats not to like?
    Ohh, electric? Nahhh stuff em!

Thanks

I'm surprised there haven't been more commenters who have an electric. I don't own one yet - putting about 3000 miles per year on my car, I have little incentive to upgrade - but the neighbor across the street has a Chevy Bolt, and another nearby neighbor has a Tesla, Model 3 I think. A friend's parents have a Nissan Leaf, and if I go down the main street a ways someone has a BMW i3 parked out front. This is in the U.S. midwest; they aren't California levels of common here yet, but they are catching on.

The Leaf has been mentioned a few times for battery degradation, and it's true that it does that more than most electric cars, due to only having passive battery cooling. It's unfortunate that it was one of the first popular electric cars, because a lot of people generalize that all electric cars will have its battery issues as they age. But cars with active battery cooling, which is most of the market, will fare significantly better. The Leaf also has a small battery to start with, exacerbating the problem. A 10-year-old Leaf might have a short enough range to not be very practical, but a 10-year-old Model 3, which started out with 2.5 times the range of a Leaf and degrades quite a bit more slowly, would still be viable, and might be attractive as a less expensive option on the second-hand market, just as a 10-12 year old Prius is still a good option today.

I'm waiting for more models, particularly hatchbacks, to become available on the market, and if that aligns with when I have a job that requires driving, that would be when I'm likely to make the jump. Might be interested in the VW id.3 if they sold it in America, and would definitely be interested in the Honda Fit EV if they sold it in America. I want something with knobs and sliders for things like changing the volume and climate control, though - none of the all-touchscreen silliness that Tesla goes with.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Quote Originally Posted by Phrontis View Post
    My business is looking to treat me to a Dodge RAM 1500 TRX. 6.2lts and 700 bhp of American muscle in a pickup. Low business tax. Whats not to like?
    Ohh, electric? Nahhh stuff em!
    Thanks mate, I look forward to the excessive emissions just so you can compensate

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AndyM2012's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z390-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-9600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair DDR4 2*8GB 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX 1060 6 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-9N
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG248
      • Internet:
      • 200 Mb/s

I'd love an electric car. There's no possibility of charging one round here, so it will never exist for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium View Post

and then you're saying:

What tank of fuel?
    It's a plug in hybrid, and 31 miles range (official spec) is more than enough for most people's daily journeys. It would certainly be enough for most of mine.

So she charges it every night, and mostly runs the car on electric power. I guess occasionally the car switches to petrol and uses a bit, so every 1000 miles it needs topping up. For a 2.5tonne tractor that isn't bad.

OFC I've known people with diesel cars that claim to top up every 700 miles. Depends on size of tank and where/how you drive.
    Euphonium, the cost per mile is less than my previous car, which was a diesel. I'm nowhere near ready for an all-electric car, for all of the reasons listed in this thread.

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by hellig View Post
    getting on great with my zoe, laugh each week when i charge it up for £3 and that is on £.13kwh so not even the cheap rate of £0.05 that the night rate is.
    Same. Had mine (A ZE50 GT-Line with CCS) for a year now. Recently did a 600+ mile road trip over a weekend. No issues whatsoever with rapid charging it.
    I also get free charging at work, either on a 13A socket or a 7kW wallbox. Only problem I've had with it was a slow puncture a week ago.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Caimbeul2000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro

Same here. Non electric due to Price, range and non existant infrastructe. Hydrogen fuel cells would have been a better way for the industry to go. Also like @Friesiansam said. Why throw away a perfectly good ICE? The environmental impact of doing so just to go electric is huge. Much better to stay with the current one until I NEED a new one then revisit the greener options.

Thanks

Fifteen years down the line, when electric vehicles are more or less forced on us...The price of electricity will be so high, that the golden days of filthy, polluting, ICE propulsion will be but a fond memory.

17. Received thanks from:

Iota (27-06-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information