Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Last I heard there were battery recycling plants waiting for cells to turn up for processing.

But yeah, BEV still seem best as a second car for many families. I would like a PHEV, but want something that can actually go around corners (and yes I heard about the new V6 Ferrari, but that's not going to be in my price range )
    There are quite a lot of sporty mild (but still plug in) hybrids around from the likes of BMW, Peugeot, Skoda etc. All a bit pricey new though.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    There are quite a lot of sporty mild (but still plug in) hybrids around from the likes of BMW, Peugeot, Skoda etc. All a bit pricey new though.
    i8 is out of my price range but looks interesting. Perhaps the Skoda can go OK in a straight line drag race, but I don't think I have heard anyone call their cars an involving drive since they stopped doing the mid engine small cars in the 80's.

There is talk of the Peugeot drive train being put into a small Alfa, but again even that is likely a small SUV and at that point even as an Italian car fan I switch off on SUVs.

I just had a lovely drive back from the office down the twisty country lanes, and would hate to lose that enjoyment of nimble handling.

Thanks

i8 is out of my price range but looks interesting. Perhaps the Skoda can go OK in a straight line drag race, but I don't think I have heard anyone call their cars an involving drive since they stopped doing the mid engine small cars in the 80's.

There is talk of the Peugeot drive train being put into a small Alfa, but again even that is likely a small SUV and at that point even as an Italian car fan I switch off on SUVs.

I just had a lovely drive back from the office down the twisty country lanes, and would hate to lose that enjoyment of nimble handling.
    I think you need to get up to speed on these from youtube matey. Plenty of involving drives and the bespoke electric platforms are much much better than those based of a "normal" platform. Heck the VW id.3 and id.4 are supposed to be nice to drive with varying models to suit most peoples budgets. The handling of those models with the battery low and central are all pretty good, with acceleration that beats most hot hatches and sports cars

Re: SUV's - you do know that most cars sold now are suv's. Last couple of months it's something like 90% of all cars sold throughout the world are SUV's. Heck our main car is now a Copper S Countryman and that's not boring in any shape or form to drive even in normal driving mode
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

4. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (29-06-2021)

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

The octavia vRS is basically a golf GTI (albeit the hybrid one is a bit heavy)

The BMW 330e and pug 508 hybrid are both meant to be pretty good round the twisties.

None of them are SUVs

6. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (29-06-2021)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Sadly I am well aware of the number of SUVs sold, *shudder*. Most people just aren't interested in driving, but it cuts down second hand options for me.

508 Hybrid looks quite nice, but 0-60 in 8.3 is a bit on the glacial side.

The 330e is a bit more like it, but then the BMW dealers around here when it comes to servicing...

Thanks

Working out beautifully. Range anxiety is just that; anxiety. It has nothing to do with the actual implications of range. Even here in the US, where things are much farther apart than in the UK, the average American drives 41 miles a day; but gets worried about whether their EV can do 7 times that distance on a charge or only 6? The answer is your safety margin is 500% Karen, calm down.

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb

We got an 18mo Leaf a couple of months ago and it's perfectly suited to what we need it for - daily commutes of about 8m plus weekend kid ferrying and outings.

Given our 15yo Avensis was starting to need major replacements every year we're pretty much breaking even on the cost even paying for it in bits. Used to be about £70 a month for fuel, currently costing about a fiver and will be almost nothing once I'm back in the office with free charging in the car park around the corner.

Thanks

I know Audi have said that the switch from ICE will likely be a death knell for the A1 & A2 as anything smaller than the A3 won't be viable to electrify as far as they're concerned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
    Working out beautifully. Range anxiety is just that; anxiety. It has nothing to do with the actual implications of range. Even here in the US, where things are much farther apart than in the UK, the average American drives 41 miles a day; but gets worried about whether their EV can do 7 times that distance on a charge or only 6? The answer is your safety margin is 500% Karen, calm down.
    That might be the case for people with that kind of driving profile, but not everybody does. My daily commute is 0 miles, but when I do need to go on a trip (which is now much less than it used to be) the trip was usually at least 100 miles, and often up to 300 to 400. Range is an issue, not just an anxiety.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
    Our mate Karen has just swapped her Leaf for a Micra. Average useage a month was 24 miles, but every 3 months a 300 mile trip with zero charging points on the quickest route and only a plug to charge at t'other end to be accomplished in aday means it's a no go

Average mileage for 90% of UK drivers is around a mile. The other 10% though average 300 miles... again difficult as the infrastructure isn't good enough

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by daddacool View Post
    I know Audi have said that the switch from ICE will likely be a death knell for the A1 & A2 as anything smaller than the A3 won't be viable to electrify as far as they're concerned.
    They're obviously happy to cede that market to the likes of the electric mini, fiat 500, electric corsa etc. I fully expect a volte-face at some point

Thanks

They're obviously happy to cede that market to the likes of the electric mini, fiat 500, electric corsa etc. I fully expect a volte-face at some point
    Mini and Corsa are both next step up from the A1 and A2. What Audi are saying is that in that size class you need to design a fully electric platform to make it worthy. Remember that the A1 and A2 are based off VW platforms not the other way around. If you research you will find that the issue is now that an electrified car rarely works as well as a total redesigned electric platform

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    What Audi are saying is that in that size class you need to design a fully electric platform to make it worthy.
    Which the cars I listed prove is not true.

Remember that the A1 and A2 are based off VW platforms not the other way around.
    Ditto the mini, corsa etc. for their respective platforms. The fiat 500 is a new platform, but also shows it's possible to design an all electric platform in the size (below actually) of the A1.

Thanks

Which the cars I listed prove is not true.

Ditto the mini, corsa etc. for their respective platforms. The fiat 500 is a new platform, but also shows it's possible to design an all electric platform in the size (below actually) of the A1.
    Lol whatever! You have your opinion but it's not shared by many I know and have read about. Yes the 500 is new - thus I never mentioned it.
    The Mini is regarded as not being better or cheap enough to stop people buying an ICE model. The Corsa is worse than the Peugeot equivalent in nearly every way....

You say about it is possible to design a car under the A1 and A2's. What bit about the fact it's a VW platform they use that you didn't get - it never was designed for electric so it will disappear. Yes it may be replaced by a VW group small electric car but then it won't be called the A1 or A2 - DOH!
    Last edited by 3dcandy; 04-07-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: forgot.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    The Corsa is worse than the Peugeot equivalent in nearly every way....
    Oh yes, I forgot Peugoet too (though I think it's the same platform as corsa). Another entrant that Audi are ceding the small EV market mixed chassis use to.

You say about it is possible to design a car under the A1 and A2's. What bit about the fact it's a VW platform they use that you didn't get - it never was designed for electric so it will disappear. Yes it may be replaced by a VW group small electric car but then it won't be called the A1 or A2 - DOH!
    Well good for them - but others are fine using small chassis for both ICE and electic.
    Last edited by kalniel; 04-07-2021 at 10:12 AM. Reason: merged accidental duplicate post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information