Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

Thanks
    • raygdunn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B365M D3H
      • CPU:
      • water cooled i7 9700
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2666
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb M2 SSD (+Seagate 500Gb hidden round the back)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX1660
      • PSU:
      • 550W 140mm fan
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Prolite 22" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • ~36Mb fibre to cabinet

Re: QOTW: How are you getting on with your electric car?

No interest until the price comes down. Then ideal for our daily short trips.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

I guess I'll make the switch (pun intended) to hybrid or electric one day but, even if I wanted to, I couldn't afford one atm anyway. A quick google suggests the cheapest electric/hybrid car is currently £15k, which is well beyond my budget. And besides, I like my 25mpg 11-year old Focus.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I'm already to buy one. Looked fairly seriously a few times as would still have a second ICE car for the odd longer trip. (99% of our trips would be absolutely fine with electric). Surprised to see so much bad info here. I thought people would be better clued up.
    1) Batteries are no longer hired unless you buy a very old car. Just don't those older cars aren't worth it.
    2) Battery degradation. These aren't the li-ion phone batteries. Just get a good one (not a leaf with zero battery temperature management), don't fast charge it unless you need it and try and keep charge to 80~90% (cars will let you control this). Then the batteries will do 500,000 miles with most of the capacity.

Please understand the industry has moved a long way in just 5 years. A 5 year old leaf is really nothing like a modern EV in terms of range or battery degradation. Also once you've experienced EV torque and instant power no ICE ever matches.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

4. Received thanks from:

iworrall (29-06-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

On my second one currently, I had a 2019 Renault Zoe first which had really good range but only charged at 22Kw which was a limiting factor before I bought a house where I could have a charger. Also, poor Renault build quality/finish and handling put me off, it just wasn't fun to drive or own. I'd say it was a good "cheap" option for those who aren't interested in cars. My ex-wife bought one after and loves it.

I traded that in (at painful cost) after only 6 months as I decided it wasn't for me long term and bought a 2017 BMW i3 which I really like. It's only a 33Kw/94aH model but charges much quicker on a rapid charger so is less of a problem on long runs and is fun to drive. I'm working from home most of the time now so generally only need to charge once a week and that's on a regime of plugging it in when I get below 50% and only charging to 80%.

The motorway chargers have been sub-par during my time using electric cars but they're getting a nationwide replacement now with GridServe having bought them out fully.

Despite having quite a few ICE cars I really fancied on my list for the driving experience, I couldn't see me going back. I think the electric Mini for fun/driving experience/handling would be my current pick if I was buying new but it wasn't available at the time. Also that still has the 33Kwh battery but range isn't really an issue unless you need more than it has regularly, which most people don't.

6. Received thanks from:

iworrall (29-06-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Driller13 View Post
    3 months with a new Range Rover P400E. So far so good. Lots of short runs with the kids, no long commute. Get about 25 miles out of the battery and charge it every night. With my routine I am seeing 1,000 miles per tank of fuel. Smart meter tells me that my electricity usage has gone up by around £10 per week. Only complaint is that the charge cable is fussy. Keeps showing a fault and refusing to charge. Unplug it and plug it back in and the fault goes away.
    Sounds like an earthing fault/installation issue on your charger, you might need a second or longer earth rod installed to lower the resistance to ground.

Thanks

Would buy an electric as a second car, only had kids learning to drive so wanted a manual to teach them with. Bought a tiny citigo, turns out that barely uses any fuel, is dirt cheap to run and the wife loves it, so no point changing that.
    As for the first car, well charging problems means long range drives are a no no for electric. Could go hybrid but then I have to find someone to maintain something stupidly complex as it's got all the problems of electrics, and all the complexity of ICE all rolled up into one expensive-to-fix solution that only a main dealer will have a clue about. Hence I think I will stick to a straight ICE car for now.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

About zero infrastructure round here, and a council that gives less than a single toss about it. I ended up selling my gas guzzling weekend toys and sinking the cash in to a new PHEV, picking it up on Thursday.

Those Tesla Plaids look excellent, sign of things to come, but the infrastructure out of UK cities is 10 years behind.

Thanks

I had a first gen Nissan LEAF (I won it in a competition) and we didn't really get on. The final tipping point was a cold February morning where I had to do a 35 mile round trip to Luton and found myself turning the heating off after the first 20 minutes because the range was dropping and dropping and dropping and I wasn't completely convinced I was actually going to get 35 miles out of it. There were issues with the heating system in the first gen LEAF, it was simply taken from another Nissan ICE car and ran off the main battery, so it obviously wasn't ideal for driving in the snow/ice but I had pre-heated the car using the app while it was still plugged in, the problem is batteries just don't hold as much charge in the cold and given it had a theoretically maximum range of 120 miles (I never got much more than 90-100 out of it driving slowly in eco mode though), it wasn't great to start with.

Current company car runs until December 2022, at that point I'll probably look to a hybrid or an electric if they can convince me that I'll get a couple of hundred miles out of a charge in the winter. It's chicken and egg at the moment with charging infrastructure. Definitely better than it was when I had my LEAF inasmuch there are chargers about that look like they actually work but range anxiety is definitely a thing.

Thanks

We had a Toyota hybrid for a while (thanks to the muppet backing up a Tesco home delivery lorry not bothering to check behind him).

The hybrid part of the power train was okay, but didn't like the car itself. Very hard seats, and very firm suspension. If the latter was changeable, we didn't use it enough to bother finding out.

I wouldn't buy one, unless comfort was considerably improved, but not because it was, or wasn't, hybrid. It just didn't suit us.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks

I've had a Tesla Model 3 Long Range since last August and have done just over 16k miles. Its costing me bugger all to run it. I'm blessed with a drive and have my own 7kw charging point. I'm doing between 70 and 100 miles a day and plug it in when i get home, for it to charge between 00:30 and 04:30 at 5p/kwh
    I've done a few decent journeys in it (250 mile round trip without stopping) no issues. It got to the point that i went to a supercharger and other 3rd party chargers just to have a go.
    We're off to Wales next month camping for the weekend in it and I know there arent many chargers about so i'm not bothering. I'm getting more miles than it says i will with it being summer and reckon i could get the wltp 348, but in winter (this February and March) the range was affected more than i expected 50 or so miles less than normal.
    While the acceleration is insane and a cool party trick, i'm not tearing around the roads, there's too many cars about for 1. The rest of the time its such an easy car to live with.
    I'm not worried about battery life, as its warrantied for 100000 miles, and there are plenty of examples getting way more than that.
    We have booked a holiday down in Penzance (we live in Burton Upon Trent) and I wanted to go down in it for that after watchinga few tubers do it earlier in the year, but after looking at where and and how many the charge points are in Cornwall decided we'll go in the wifes Seat, its a holiday at an AirBnB with no way to charge it over night and I'm not going to spend the week looking/queuing for charge points, so its not all honey and roses.
    I think it just depends on where you live in the country and the infrastructure thats local to you.
    I will say FSD is years away too, I got given Enhanced Autopilot for 2 weeks, it wasn't brilliant, Autopilot is great when you're on a dual carriageway or motorway, but its far from perfect.
    I love it still warts and all.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

I genuinely wanted one until I saw the price, did some math and worked out it's still cheaper long term with fuel. people can boast all they want about refuelling costs, but the frequency and time to break even (with my mileage) makes it an untenable dream

Thanks

So many acronyms in these comments! For those of us not familiar with electric vehicle terminology, can we have a glossary, please?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by cbntlg View Post
    So many acronyms in these comments! For those of us not familiar with electric vehicle terminology, can we have a glossary, please?
    ICE = Internal combustion engine (e.g. petrol)
    EV = Electric Vehicle
    BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle (e.g. no petrol motor at all)
    PHEV = Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (e.g. both petrol motor and electric motor with batteries that can be charged by plugging the car in).

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Also

CCS = European standard for DC "rapid" charging at 50kW and up, used by almost all electric cars
    CHAdeMO = Japanese standard for DC "rapid" charging used by Nissan Leafs and some PHEVs.
    FSD = Full Self Driving - cars that don't actually need a driver.

Thanks

Still no recycling of the batteries, there's a massive issue coming for those.

I've got an electric Corsa on lease. Sold as 209 miles range but in reality less than 150 because you need to leave some in case the charger you're aiming for is in use/broken. Fine for running around, but I chose to take the 2 seater on a recent 250m trip because I figured the motorway wind, exhaust and tyre noise would be less of a hassle than having to stop for 45-55 mins (at a 'fast' charger) to top up half-way.

The Corsa is fine for the childminder runs, shopping and the wife's commute, but I can never see us using it to go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It's only good for that because we have a big enough drive and a home charger.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Still no recycling of the batteries, there's a massive issue coming for those.

I've got an electric Corsa on lease. Sold as 209 miles range but in reality less than 150 because you need to leave some in case the charger you're aiming for is in use/broken. Fine for running around, but I chose to take the 2 seater on a recent 250m trip because I figured the motorway wind, exhaust and tyre noise would be less of a hassle than having to stop for 45-55 mins (at a 'fast' charger) to top up half-way.

The Corsa is fine for the childminder runs, shopping and the wife's commute, but I can never see us using it to go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It's only good for that because we have a big enough drive and a home charger.
    Last I heard there were battery recycling plants waiting for cells to turn up for processing.

But yeah, BEV still seem best as a second car for many families. I would like a PHEV, but want something that can actually go around corners (and yes I heard about the new V6 Ferrari, but that's not going to be in my price range )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information