Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Windows 11 Insider Preview build now available

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Windows 11 Insider Preview build now available

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    My 12 X 4 GHZ threadripper with 64 Gb RAM are not able to run the damn thing, at least thats what microsofts software tell me,,,,,, it dont say why.
    You don't have a TPM chip, enable fTPM in your UEFI BIOS.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    My 12 X 4 GHZ threadripper with 64 Gb RAM are not able to run the damn thing, at least thats what microsofts software tell me,,,,,, it dont say why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    You don't have a TPM chip, enable fTPM in your UEFI BIOS.
    1000 series threadrippers weren't initially on the support list, which the tool goes off, but as this article says, that's now been withdrawn so don't base anything on that.

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    You can download the windows 10 Dev iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...iderpreviewiso and then run windows update. You don't need to login once the OS is installed you just need to check for updates in settings and let it install. After restart you will have windows 11. I tested this in a VM last night.

If you want to upgrade using a current installed windows 10 setting flight to dev and then checking for updates should give the same result.
    vHow's it running so far.

4. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (29-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The FX isn't on the list of supported AMD processors though. Depends on whether that is enforced or just a recommendation.
    I bet the preview or whatever this weeks edition is called might require that, but I can't see it being forced. Can't see tpm being forced either apart from certain editions either. Also from todays work it's actually faster than the previous build of Win 10, but a lot of that is simply because it handles multi-monitor better
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

TPM and secure boot are just not needed for home use, it's just a con to make 70%+ of users buy new hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    TPM and secure boot are just not needed for home use, it's just a con to make 70%+ of users buy new hardware.
    If you believe the home editions will force those requirements then I despair

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Kovoet View Post
    vHow's it running so far.
    No crashes or bugs so far. I wasn't expecting control panel to still exist but it does currently. So far appears to just be UI changes. IE executable still exists but just launches edge instead like they are planning with windows 10 next year. I am wondering if they will remove some more legacy features in windows 11. I am still surprised about the CPU support. I can't really see any reason so far for only supporting Intel Gen 8 and above.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I've been running it all day so far, initial comments:

• Needed a few restarts to get it going - very slow and "crashy" at first - but since then, its been rock solid and pretty fast
    • New animations are nice - it feels like going back to Aero and how pretty that was, but with hardware that can be performant too
    • I'm getting used to having the central task bar - it does make sense on an ultrawide, but i'm having to retrain my brain to now look to the bottom left. Means less head movement though!
    • New application groups & VDesktop functions are nice - really nice improvement. I like having a "work button" that I can press to launch outlook, teams and onenote in the correct layout for my screen.
    • Auto HDR and the ability to set an SDR brightness with HDR enabled is *really* nice
    • Oh and I do really like the new notification sounds. Maybe strange to say but definitely more "modern" sounding.

Bad things so far?
    • The new settings app is still rather buggy - I get way too many flickering options and parts of the menus don't work first time...but hey its dev
    • I really dislike the new spacing they have on by default - this is all to make Windows more touch friendly so I get it...but on a non-touch screen they should default to what's now the "compact" layout. Oh and they still group your downloads folder by date by default - SO annoying.
    • The fact you cannot move the taskbar to the side of top is as annoying as you'd expect
    • I find it odd I can't right click the taskbar to open task manager anymore - keyboard shortcuts still work fine, but its just an annoyance

That's all so far, I guess the best thing I can say is that I was still able to work all day with it (after the first few reboots I mentioned) and its been fine.

This does feel like another iterative update thought - it doesn't feel worthy of the "Windows 11" title to me...yet.
    Last edited by Spud1; 29-06-2021 at 05:21 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

mtyson (30-06-2021)

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Windows 8 was released in 2012 and any devices that shipped with it required UEFI and secure boot so this shouldn't be too much of a concern. TPM is a different story. I have recently given my Haswell pc to my parents. this has UEFI and secure boot. it also has a TPM header on the motherboard. the biggest issue is the cpu support which will cause more issues. I see no reason why a 4770k can't run windows 11.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Even if it would install, i am sure this new version ( too ) also just mean more stuff for me to disable and tweak.

Take me about a half hour to tweak win 10 to where i can live with it, and delete silly bloatware ASO
    Really you would think windows would just be what is needed, and then you could select what ever you want too, but ooooo no thats not how it is.
    Push stuff down peoples throat and take note when they hurl.

I do think my X399 Aorus extreme have that TPM thing just not enabled as default,,,,,, i dont look as much in BIOS as i use to do when i was doing OC.

Anyways i do think this can roll with win 10 until it is upgrade time again, then i might feel brave enough to attempt this new Microsoft drug they cram down peoples throat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I've been running it all day so far, initial comments:

• Needed a few restarts to get it going - very slow and "crashy" at first - but since then, its been rock solid and pretty fast
    • New animations are nice - it feels like going back to Aero and how pretty that was, but with hardware that can be performant too
    • I'm getting used to having the central task bar - it does make sense on an ultrawide, but i'm having to retrain my brain to now look to the bottom left. Means less head movement though!
    • New application groups & VDesktop functions are nice - really nice improvement. I like having a "work button" that I can press to launch outlook, teams and onenote in the correct layout for my screen.
    • Auto HDR and the ability to set an SDR brightness with HDR enabled is *really* nice
    • Oh and I do really like the new notification sounds. Maybe strange to say but definitely more "modern" sounding.

Bad things so far?
    • The new settings app is still rather buggy - I get way too many flickering options and parts of the menus don't work first time...but hey its dev
    • I really dislike the new spacing they have on by default - this is all to make Windows more touch friendly so I get it...but on a non-touch screen they should default to what's now the "compact" layout. Oh and they still group your downloads folder by date by default - SO annoying.
    • The fact you cannot move the taskbar to the side of top is as annoying as you'd expect
    • I find it odd I can't right click the taskbar to open task manager anymore - keyboard shortcuts still work fine, but its just an annoyance

That's all so far, I guess the best thing I can say is that I was still able to work all day with it (after the first few reboots I mentioned) and its been fine.

This does feel like another iterative update thought - it doesn't feel worthy of the "Windows 11" title to me...yet.
    No bugs whatsoever for me. Nowt nada, no flickering no crashes and is quite a bit faster than Win 10 generally
    Taskbar right click brings up settings - this is for touch enabled devices I'm guessing. If it brings more devices the touch friendly benefits I'm all for it - it is 2021 after all
    Again - I see no reason to move the taskbar, maybe it's me but I NEVER move it, I just don't see the point

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Based on an article I read, TPM and Secure Boot aren't without use in home settings.

Why?

Secure Boot prevents the UEFI boot sequence being compromised, and the TPM is used for what's called "measured boot".

Measure boot is used to validate known hashes against boot time values, if they don't match, something has changed or been compromised.

Both of which, combined with other software technologies already in existence, help protect the PC from malware.

Is it a good or reasonable requirement for the OS? Given that reportedly a TPM wont be required in certain countries, like Russia and China, it would seem like it should be a choice for upgrading users, or even off altogether.
    Whilst people installing a clean OS, or buying a new off the shelf system, can have everything enabled from the off, since it doesn't require changes to an already installed OS.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    Based on an article I read, TPM and Secure Boot aren't without use in home settings.

Why?

Secure Boot prevents the UEFI boot sequence being compromised, and the TPM is used for what's called "measured boot".

Measure boot is used to validate known hashes against boot time values, if they don't match, something has changed or been compromised.

Both of which, combined with other software technologies already in existence, help protect the PC from malware.

Is it a good or reasonable requirement for the OS? Given that reportedly a TPM wont be required in certain countries, like Russia and China, it would seem like it should be a choice for upgrading users, or even off altogether.
    Whilst people installing a clean OS, or buying a new off the shelf system, can have everything enabled from the off, since it doesn't require changes to an already installed OS.
    During installation, ask me if I'd like such a thing. Or, perhaps tell me how strongly you recommend it, etc.

If you want to dual boot your system, Secure Boot is sometimes an absolute pig and just needs turning off.

Microsoft wouldn't want people experimenting with Linux, would they? The horror!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    During installation, ask me if I'd like such a thing. Or, perhaps tell me how strongly you recommend it, etc.

If you want to dual boot your system, Secure Boot is sometimes an absolute pig and just needs turning off.

Microsoft wouldn't want people experimenting with Linux, would they? The horror!
    Exactly.

That has been my gripe since the days of the W8 Start menu farce, and applies with bells on to when/if certain upgrades are applied. My position has always been ask first. however, I grant that lots of intimidating (for inexperienced users) questions isn't ideal, so,offer default or custom installation and let experienced users decide for themselves to disable default install options. Less desirable but still a workable option is to let people that know what they want turned off turn it off, or better yet, not install in the first place, but at least, disable/unistall.

Good examples would be Cortana, ObeDrive and even MS Office trial. I do not want the first two under any circumstances, and switched to Libre several years ago so don't want Office installed in any form, since uninstall never gets rid of it all.

A 'custom' option (of a full install) would let me decide what I do or don't want, including things I have no intention of ever using, like Cortana or OneDrive. Yet, not only is Cortana (for instance) installed whether I want it or not, but the Uninstall option is greyed out.

TPM is yet another example of Nanny MS deciding it knows best what I need on my machine. No, MS, you don't. You really don't.

So if you feel the need to handhold inexperienced users .... okay. Fair enough. Not a bad idiea. But do the rest of us the courtesy of deciding for ourselves if we want such things, be it TPM or that Cortana garbage, installed or not on our own hardware.

If you advise and default to running with TPM, for instance, and for my own reasons i decide not to, on my head be it. But it's my machine, my risk and damn well doesn't need to be your mandate as to whether I need it or not. And if this sounds like I still resent MS over the W8 business and haven't forgiven them, that would be correct. More accurately than not having forgiven them, though, would be that I no longer trust them, which is why I'm prepared, if need be, to not go to W11 at all. If MS try to force it, like standard upgrades, well, I took steps to move my more mission critical stuff onto Linux or air-gapped W7 systems years ago, and can easily do the same with W10 machines rather than go W11, if need be. That lack of trust means I saw you coming, this time, MS.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I still think a lot of you miss the way consumer/enterprise OS's have been moving recently. With ChromeOS, MacOS, Android and iOS secure boot and hardening is standard. Windows has and always will be a consumer/enterprise OS. People just expect stuff to just work and be secure by default so this is the way Microsoft are moving. If you want full control you're just going to have to use Linux. It kind of sucks but thats the way the world is moving - blame Apple and all the ransomware. (I know it would be nice if some of this stuff was optional but Apple have shown the benefits of a locked down, no options environment. Its also easier to lock down and test. Advanced users like us are not the target market.).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

18. Received thanks from:

blokeinkent (01-07-2021)

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post

Exactly.

That has been my gripe since the days of the W8 Start menu farce, and applies with bells on to when/if certain upgrades are applied. My position has always been ask first. however, I grant that lots of intimidating (for inexperienced users) questions isn't ideal, so,offer default or custom installation and let experienced users decide for themselves to disable default install options. Less desirable but still a workable option is to let people that know what they want turned off turn it off, or better yet, not install in the first place, but at least, disable/unistall.

Good examples would be Cortana, ObeDrive and even MS Office trial. I do not want the first two under any circumstances, and switched to Libre several years ago so don't want Office installed in any form, since uninstall never gets rid of it all.

A 'custom' option (of a full install) would let me decide what I do or don't want, including things I have no intention of ever using, like Cortana or OneDrive. Yet, not only is Cortana (for instance) installed whether I want it or not, but the Uninstall option is greyed out.

TPM is yet another example of Nanny MS deciding it knows best what I need on my machine. No, MS, you don't. You really don't.

So if you feel the need to handhold inexperienced users .... okay. Fair enough. Not a bad idiea. But do the rest of us the courtesy of deciding for ourselves if we want such things, be it TPM or that Cortana garbage, installed or not on our own hardware.

If you advise and default to running with TPM, for instance, and for my own reasons i decide not to, on my head be it. But it's my machine, my risk and damn well doesn't need to be your mandate as to whether I need it or not. And if this sounds like I still resent MS over the W8 business and haven't forgiven them, that would be correct. More accurately than not having forgiven them, though, would be that I no longer trust them, which is why I'm prepared, if need be, to not go to W11 at all. If MS try to force it, like standard upgrades, well, I took steps to move my more mission critical stuff onto Linux or air-gapped W7 systems years ago, and can easily do the same with W10 machines rather than go W11, if need be. That lack of trust means I saw you coming, this time, MS.
    Perfectly put, this is exactly how I feel about windows, great post.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information