• 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Re: Valve announces the Steam Deck handheld gaming PC

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Errm - it's 22x80, hence the name. But you need space for the screw and the connector, so it's about 95mm needed. That's quite a lot of space in a device this size.
    Sorry, I mean extra space compared to the 2230 they have fitted. Edited my original comment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Apple level of storage upgrade pricing I guess they had to to keep the base one competitive. Interesting toy, not entirely sure of the target market though?
    No as it req M.2 2230 good luck with that as the 512GB model will still set you back $200

Thanks

I see the scalpers have already hit the Steam Deck, if you search eBay (UK) you'll find people trying to sell confirmed pre-orders for anything up to £1.2k.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I see the scalpers have already hit the Steam Deck, if you search eBay (UK) you'll find people trying to sell confirmed pre-orders for anything up to £1.2k.
    2021 the year of chancers!

Sorry, I meant entrepreneurs the backbone of the economy, of course!

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

We're a few days since the announcement and the hype train is going wild...all kinds of proclamations of this being a switch killer, the next big thing, a "proper handheld console" and other similarly over excited comments.

Does anyone know why? I really don't get it. This is a low spec, low performance PC in a handheld format (portable would be generous - its rather large and is more gamegear than switch). It's not a console, it's not a new platform, or even that exciting....it's a handheld battery powered x86 PC.

Perhaps it's best feature is the value as it is a good price for what you get - can't argue with that - but is what you get any use?

I know i'm almost repeating my earlier post, but seriously - is anyone able to explain why this is such an exciting/tempting buy other than "Hype"? Are we really expecting this to be a new platform that developers target specifically?

Thanks

Isn't this what people have wanted for a long time for those very reasons? It's a PC (kind of), from PS to Vita to Switch there is clearly a market for a device that is 'done right' and this *could* be that device if supported by Valve. It has limitations but surely less than any prior handheld device we've seen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    2021 the year of chancers!

Sorry, I meant entrepreneurs the backbone of the economy, of course!
    Oh, it's nothing new for 2021. It's been done for decades, but is just more visible.

I'm interested in a particular coffee grinder which sells new for £500. Trouble is, it's a smallish company and manufacturing constraints limits supply, which is less than demand. I could currently get one brand new from the manufacturer at list (in the wrong colour) but it hasn't stopped the chancers still trying to flog theirs, second-hand (though maybe unused), at £800. It's basic supply and demand ... and simple human greed, just enabled by bot-buying.

On the other side of the story, I recently ordered a 4-bay NAS and 3x hard drives (already had one). Amazon, bless 'em, put a 'maximum purchase' of TWO drives, despite it clearly being a system purchase with the 4-bay NAS. Argh.

The truly daft thing? Amazon had no problem supplying the final drive in either a slightly smaller, or slightly larger, variant, and even suggested if I wanted an identical drive, get a friend/neighbour to order it. I mean, WTF Amazon?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Isn't this what people have wanted for a long time for those very reasons? It's a PC (kind of), from PS to Vita to Switch there is clearly a market for a device that is 'done right' and this *could* be that device if supported by Valve. It has limitations but surely less than any prior handheld device we've seen?
    All depends what 'done right' looks like to the majority, though.
    One of the big ones for me is having enough space to fit my hands. Most consoles, portables and controllers just don't, so I end up with cramps within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    The truly daft thing? Amazon had no problem supplying the final drive in either a slightly smaller, or slightly larger, variant, and even suggested if I wanted an identical drive, get a friend/neighbour to order it. I mean, WTF Amazon?
    It's just like painkillers.
    Can only buy two boxes of Ibu/Para/Asp, though you can buy two of each... but you can go out the door, come straight back in, rinse and repeat as many times as you like. In fact, it's necessary to restock all my first aid kits.

Thanks

I did buy a 'dispeners' pack of paracetamol some years back - a big tub about 4" square and 6" high. 1000 tablets. Only after I'd explained why I needed so many, and that I fully understood how damaging it could be if over-used/abused, though. I don'y even know if they still hav those, though, as everything seems to come in blistr packs, or paper separators.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

On the other side of the story, I recently ordered a 4-bay NAS and 3x hard drives (already had one). Amazon, bless 'em, put a 'maximum purchase' of TWO drives, despite it clearly being a system purchase with the 4-bay NAS. Argh.

Chia Mining, just like GPU Mining, has caused resellers to restrict large number purchases of these items. Yes, it does seem dumb it's not Amazon being dumb, you're just an unfortunate collateral damage to that policy

My preferred refurbished equipment resellers have had their entire inventory of 4TB-16TB SAS/SATA HDDs wiped out when Chia kicked off and that was thousands of units.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I did buy a 'dispeners' pack of paracetamol some years back - a big tub about 4" square and 6" high. 1000 tablets. Only after I'd explained why I needed so many, and that I fully understood how damaging it could be if over-used/abused, though. I don'y even know if they still hav those, though, as everything seems to come in blistr packs, or paper separators.
    I don't think so (at least not outside a hospital)! Its all about slowing anyone suicidal down as sometimes to save a life just requires slowing someone down enough to think.

By the way I'm just going to say this but if anyone feels this way please, please talk.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

12. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (19-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I don't think so (at least not outside a hospital)! Its all about slowing anyone suicidal down as sometimes to save a life just requires slowing someone down enough to think.

By the way I'm just going to say this but if anyone feels this way please, please talk.
    Oh, absolutely. I think that's why I had to explain why I wanted so many, which isn't worth going into now. It was years ago (probably 30) and if you had me in mind (probably not) with "anyone feeling that way", can I just say no, I'm not, but if I was I wouldn't pick paracetamol and besides, have FAR more effective drugs to hand.

I also completely agree with "please talk".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Chia Mining, just like GPU Mining, has caused resellers to restrict large number purchases of these items. Yes, it does seem dumb it's not Amazon being dumb, you're just an unfortunate collateral damage to that policy

My preferred refurbished equipment resellers have had their entire inventory of 4TB-16TB SAS/SATA HDDs wiped out when Chia kicked off and that was thousands of units.
    Oh, sure, I get the Chia thing. I bought the first drive, for testing, a day or two before the Chia thing kicked off and prices shot up and availability vanished. It was a 12TB WD Ultrastar HC520, by the way.

I understand why Amazon were doing that, and agree with it, but even when I queried it with customer service, and pointed out I was buildig the NAS I bought at the same time, they still wouldn't agree to just one more. Though they would cheerfully sell me a 16TB version, but not another 12TB, which seems a bit daft, to say the last, if not downright perverse.

Thanks

Oh, sure, I get the Chia thing. I bought the first drive, for testing, a day or two before the Chia thing kicked off and prices shot up and availability vanished. It was a 12TB WD Ultrastar HC520, by the way.

I understand why Amazon were doing that, and agree with it, but even when I queried it with customer service, and pointed out I was buildig the NAS I bought at the same time, they still wouldn't agree to just one more. Though they would cheerfully sell me a 16TB version, but not another 12TB, which seems a bit daft, to say the last, if not downright perverse.
    "you were just buying a NAS"

Bought the HDDs, sold on the NAS, Chia mined because you're a naughty miner!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    "you were just buying a NAS"

Bought the HDDs, sold on the NAS, Chia mined because you're a naughty miner!
    I wish.

Spent the last couple of days learning to configure the NAS how I need it. Beginning to wish I'd joined a monstery instead .... though the wife might object.

Or might not. Thinking about it, not a chance I want to take.

Thanks

I wish.

Spent the last couple of days learning to configure the NAS how I need it. Beginning to wish I'd joined a monstery instead .... though the wife might object.

Or might not. Thinking about it, not a chance I want to take.
    I'm really enjoying using TrueNAS at the moment running off of trailing edge SuperMicro hardware, very powerful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information