Thread: Starlink satellite broadband to improve ping time to sub-20ms

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Starlink satellite broadband to improve ping time to sub-20ms

Meanwhile, scientists in Japan have achieved 319Tbps fibre internet transfers.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Starlink satellite broadband to improve ping time to sub-20ms

Have they actually started quoting download/upload speeds for starlink yet? I was interested as my 35Mbps FTTC connection was dropping to 20Mbps with provider at the time but all star link could promise was a vague 40+ Mbps. I wasn't going to pay £600 for a receiver and then double my normally monthly broadband cost for a few extra mega. I just switched providers and got 35Mbps again.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Have they actually started quoting download/upload speeds for starlink yet? I was interested as my 35Mbps FTTC connection was dropping to 20Mbps with provider at the time but all star link could promise was a vague 40+ Mbps. I wasn't going to pay £600 for a receiver and then double my normally monthly broadband cost for a few extra mega. I just switched providers and got 35Mbps again.
    This a crappy solution to people living in rural areas with no connection or copper connection, as when it will get congested the speeds will hardly be even 40mbps. It never has been viable alternative for someone who already has stable connection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    This a crappy solution to people living in rural areas with no connection or copper connection, as when it will get congested the speeds will hardly be even 40mbps. It never has been viable alternative for someone who already has stable connection.
    It's better than no connection at all though
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Ogami's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte A88XM -HD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon X4 860k
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Fury X
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix R9 380
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500W 80+ bronze
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800 plus

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    Coming from someone where my only option was something less than 1Mbps, I could consider Starlink a real option consider the ISP nor the government have any plans to improve my internet connection in any meaningful way or any time in the near future.

Thread Information