Thread: Samsung teases the Odyssey Neo G9 gaming monitor

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung teases the Odyssey Neo G9 gaming monitor

It says this cutting-edge tech packed model "will revolutionize the gaming experience".
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung teases the Odyssey Neo G9 gaming monitor

Pretty sure VESA still haven't certified and stated there is even a VESA DisplayHDR 2000 certification standard as per their public response here:

https://displayhdr.org/

VESA Addresses Use of Illegitimate DisplayHDR 2000 Logo: Recently, the Chinese retail website Taobao has listed two display products that have a VESA certified “DisplayHDR 2000” logo – an updated Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor as well as a new Acer EI491CRG9 monitor. In addition, several media outlets have reported that these monitors have received “DisplayHDR 2000” certification from the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). VESA wishes to set the record straight on this development. There is no “DisplayHDR 2000” tier in the VESA DisplayHDR specification and logo program at this time.

VESA has no knowledge of the origins of the DisplayHDR 2000 logo currently posted on these display listings on the Taobao website. However, VESA takes any misuse of our trademarks and logos seriously. VESA does not endorse the use of this logo unless and until a DisplayHDR 2000 tier has been officially announced by VESA, and any products claiming to meet this tier level have been officially certified by VESA and are listed on our website at https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/.

Until the displayhdr.org website displays DisplayHDR 2000, any such logo usage should be assumed to be unapproved and deceptive.

3. Received thanks from:

Iota (19-07-2021),kalniel (19-07-2021),Pleiades (19-07-2021)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I wish they would make a "normal" ultrawide version of this rather than sticking to SUW. There are so few high end options in ultrawide panels that actually have good HDR and G-Sync, that they should be able to make an impact there. We're limited to a few VA panels and maybe one IPS (although not sure LG are actually selling it this side of the pond yet).

The G9 is a *lovely* screen for work (a friend of mine owns one), but its totally unsuitable for gaming...there is such a thing as going too wide

Feels like they are missing a trick here! I would still love one of these for work though.

scunc

@Spud1 - I was considering one of the original G9s before hearing about the Neo, but the reviews said they were ok for games but not for work due to image distortion.
    You experience seems to indicate the opposite - I'd be interested to hear more.
    I'd like to use it to game (almost solely World of Tanks) and for productivity - word processing and amateur YouTube content creation.
    Appreciate your input. :-)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Sure - I had the chance to play with one my mate has for a few hours and try some things out.

I found that whilst a "normal" UW is like having two monitors glued together without a bezel, the G9 was like having three...so I set it up that way and ran outlook in the middle, teams on the right and edge on the left. It really did replace a 3 monitor setup and was a nice improvement. I didn't notice any picture/colour distortion but did have to turn my head to clearly see all parts of the screen..and found that I had to get the right viewing angle. I'd buy one for work happily if in the market for a new screen.

Gaming though was another story. We tried a few different genres...

Any FPS was a problem, no matter the FOV. You can only really focus on the middle of the screen, so problem #1 is the HUD...if its not movable (and most games do not auto adjust or let you move the hud elements) then you have to move your heard left/right to see your status - that gets old really quickly! Games that do support moving the HUD then tend to have a secondary problem of making you feel a bit ill - it gave me motion sickness type feelings, likely as although I can only focus on the middle, my peripheral vision was completely filled and just didn't sit right with me.

RTS games were a lot better IF they supported SUW properly. Games like Civ 6 and Anno 1800 played really well, although they do suffer from the HUD issue, it's less of a problem given the style of gameplay.

World of warcraft just felt unplayable and resulted in motion sickness. I have a good tolerance for VR motion sickness but found playing on the G9 quite difficult.

The best gaming experience was actually to run it as a 21:9 screen and deal with borders. That was pretty good and resolved much of the above, but feels a major compromise on such a screen.

Try one for yourself - people do game on them and I am sure you can get used to it, but 32:9 support is even rarer than 21:9, and I strongly believe this is a form factor much better suited to an office environment than gaming. by "support" I dont mean just outputting in that resolution - but doing so with the added tweaks that are needed to ensure correct aspect ratio, hud, scaling etc.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by hexus
    and delivers an uplift from VESA DisplayHDR 600 to DisplayHDR 2000.
    As per the above, this is incorrect. I hope Hexus will correct their error. This is "deceptive" according to VESA.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • meuvoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97-G45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4460
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Adata 128GB SSD + 1,7TB HDD (inTotal)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750B2
      • Case:
      • Cougar 6GR1 Evolution
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" 21:9 Philips Brilliance 298P4QJEB

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    As per the above, this is incorrect. I hope Hexus will correct their error. This is "deceptive" according to VESA.
    Deceptive is an understatement. Someone should sue both Samsung and Acer for this! Heck VESA could sue them, I don't recall about the Acer Advertisment but Samsung's picture clearly states ("VESA" DisplayHDR2000 "CERTIFIED"), like if VESA had actually looked into the product and actually certified it.

Thanks

I concur with what @Spud1 said: these monitors are the best for work as you get A LOT of screen real estate. No distortions to speak of, I don't see how some people think there would be distortions. Statements like this made me really scared buy my first curved screen a few years ago. Since then I bought nothing else. There's only one single guy in the office who opted for flat screen when I presented them with a choice. Literally everybody goes for curved ultrawides and loves them. The smaller the radius, the better: your eyes are 70cm from the monitor, not 100, 200 or even 300. 300 is basically flat and useless as a curved monitor. In fact, I still remember how I had problems with distortion on my Dell U2711: the corners were just way too far away and thus distorted.

However, maybe these monitors are not so good for games: many games don't even support such resolutions and when they do, the monitor is so huge and immersive that your body can't see the difference from real world and you get nauseous because you're not really moving when your brain clearly "sees" that you are...

Thread Information