Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve boss confirms the Steam Deck SSD is upgradable

Thanks

Re: Valve boss confirms the Steam Deck SSD is upgradable

crazy pricing, and laughable that doom won't install on the supplied 64gb, why bother if more games would need upgrading unless its meant for stream play only, not really looked into it.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think the Steam Deck is an amazing niche product. At least on paper (waiting for independent hands on) it's great, great hw, great sw, great price.

I just hope Valve doesn't deem this a failure when it doesn't sell as many units as they're expecting. It has a target public, it's just that the target public is not huge. They really need to temper their expectations on sales for this, I don't think it will sell anywhere near any console, but that doesn't mean it's a failure, it just has a limited target group. If that doesn't give Valve enough margin, review the price, don't just cancel it like other hw products

Thanks

I see a lot of people guffawing at the price of the ztorage upgrades, including Hexus calling it "Apple like". But if you actually go and try to buy an M.2 2230 SSD, firstly you'll struggle to even get one "new". Secondly, most 2230 SSDs are shucks from HP/Dell products and thirdly, their pricing is wild.

Valves pricing for the 512GB and 1TB models are kinda on target. Right now, you can be lucky on eBay to get 512/1TB models for something close to 150 as refurb shucks from China.

Wish they didn't go for 2230 but they said they made a lot of painful decisions.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

You can get 1TB 2230 nvme drives. Dell have one on their US website for home users... for $352 +tax.

I guess the question is how accessible the slot actually is. The Surface Pro 7+ (annoying only available for business users) has a removable 2230 drive that requires a Sim removal tool and a T4 driver for the single screw for access to the 2230 nvme drive. Guess we'll find out soon enough how Valve have done.
    Last edited by thewelshbrummie; 20-07-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thewelshbrummie View Post
    You can get 1TB 2230 nvme drives. Dell have one on their US website for home users... for $351.

I guess the question is how accessible the slot actually is. The Surface Pro 7+ (annoying only available for business users) has a removable 2230 drive that requires a Sim removal tool and a T4 driver for the single screw for access to the 2230 nvme drive. Guess we'll find out soon enough how Valve have done.
    I've spent a bit of this morning trying to find 2230 size m.2 drives and apart from that Dell one, they seem to be OEM only...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    Nice. Still not buying without Windows 10/11 installed.
    It runs Linux, so I suspect you could put Windows on there if you really wanted. You would just lose some ability to customise, and some performance.

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    P.s. Buy a CalDigit Tuff Nano and rip the drive out. Done.
    Ooh, now that's quite interesting pricing.

I have to wonder if the eMMC is soldered down. If for less than the price of the 512GB version you can have the OS on the eMMC and mount your expansion NVMe card where the games go, you get the whole SSD for games at lower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ssdgrrw View Post
    I just hope Valve doesn't deem this a failure when it doesn't sell as many units as they're expecting.
    It may sell in the sort of quantities they have been shifting VR headsets. Nothing earth shattering, but helps their brand. Now if you can drive their VR headset from this using it as a backpack PC...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It runs Linux, so I suspect you could put Windows on there if you really wanted. You would just lose some ability to customise, and some performance.

I have to wonder if the eMMC is soldered down. If for less than the price of the 512GB version you can have the OS on the eMMC and mount your expansion NVMe card where the games go, you get the whole SSD for games at lower cost..
    The eMMC is another m.2 2230 iirc (just a gen 2 x4 link), i believe they have said its replaceable as well else the higher models would be 64+256 etc.

They have also said it's just a computer to the point they just stopped IGNs interview and said "look, all your questions can be answered with if it runs on a PC, you can run it on this"

So you can install whatever OS you want on it, different flavours of linux, windows, whatever.

8. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (20-07-2021)

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I've spent a bit of this morning trying to find 2230 size m.2 drives and apart from that Dell one, they seem to be OEM only...
    Skinflitn do list some:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdssd&x...glecountry=set
    £200 for the 1TB Kioxia (although if you switch to all countries, it is listed as £160 from Germany). The WD ones have a lot less stockists.
    Changing the query to just "Western Digital M.2 2230" returns stuff but no sellers. Supposedly WD SN530 is available in 1TB too:

Spec isn't bad and unlike the Kioxia it has a TWB rating (400TWB not great but okay). Plenty used, so might be OEM-only and those are pulls?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Skinflitn do list some:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdssd&x...glecountry=set
    £200 for the 1TB Kioxia (although if you switch to all countries, it is listed as £160 from Germany). The WD ones have a lot less stockists.
    Changing the query to just "Western Digital M.2 2230" returns stuff but no sellers. Supposedly WD SN530 is available in 1TB too:

Spec isn't bad and unlike the Kioxia it has a TWB rating (400TWB not great but okay). Plenty used, so might be OEM-only and those are pulls?
    Yeah, it seems a substantial number of 2230 listings anywhere are pulls/shucks from oem designs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I see a lot of people guffawing at the price of the ztorage upgrades, including Hexus calling it "Apple like". But if you actually go and try to buy an M.2 2230 SSD, firstly you'll struggle to even get one "new". Secondly, most 2230 SSDs are shucks from HP/Dell products and thirdly, their pricing is wild.

Valves pricing for the 512GB and 1TB models are kinda on target. Right now, you can be lucky on eBay to get 512/1TB models for something close to 150 as refurb shucks from China.

Wish they didn't go for 2230 but they said they made a lot of painful decisions.
    They're 256GB and 512GB.

Dell's 2230 256GB is currently available for ~£71, 512GB for ~£133.
    Time will tell how Dell's compare with those in the Deck, but based on size alone:
    Base model Deck + Dell 256GB = £349 + £71 = £420
    Base model Deck + Dell 512GB = £349 + £133 = £482

256GB : £420 (w Dell) v £459 (Valve)
    512GB : £482 (w Dell) v £569 (Valve, includes "premium anti-glare etched glass")

(Both on Valve side come with some community profile stuff and the 512 with an exclusive carry case+ virtual KB theme , for those that value such things)

Quote Originally Posted by silent View Post
    crazy pricing, and laughable that doom won't install on the supplied 64gb, why bother if more games would need upgrading unless its meant for stream play only, not really looked into it.
    Additional storage can be added via the microSD slot.
    Last edited by kalniel; 18-08-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information