• 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

Didn't x60 or x600 cards used to be around £200 or so?
    Way too steep for me at RRP never mind during a shortage. Most I ever paid for a 7950 which I paid £240 (less since I was able to flog the voucher codes so closer to £200). And was ATM second from the top.
    The last card I bough was a 6GB 1060 for £140 from Amazon warehouse which I unwisely flogged around last September (I though I was doing okay getting £100 for it at the time, little did I know still £40 for 18 months use was good). Had hopped to get a card with more VRAM without paying much more as there are some Skyrim Wabbajack modlists which really want 8GB or more (recently upgraded both my monitors to 1440p for WfH so would now need more grunt too).

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Hopefully console stock reaches saturation soon so the wafer distribution can be moved towards more GPUs!
    Well, if Sony's PS% projections about sales are anything to go by that is unlikely.

Although wasn't there talk about Sony moving to 6nm? I think if AMD are eating of the low yields the cost of the PS5 being pushed to far (hence the 4700S), they would be quite keen for Sony to move to 6nm.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Interesting, I can only say for the 6800xt for sure but I was using dropsentry (discord) and partalert (twitter), I did sucessfully add a 6800xt to my cart but didnt checkout as I stopped myself (was getting really fed up waiting for 3080 FE!). DIdnt realise they werent shipping to the UK so wouldnt have seen that until I proceeded to the checkout, that would have been doubly frustrating! Pretty crappy situation then

I only went with the 3080FE because their encoder performance is much better so for using the Oculus Quest 2 via link/wireless is better performance than AMD, it was the only factor as I always buy AMD IF they are equal in performance/price or better which AMD is right now for NON RT games (dont really care for it, nice to have not huge value yet).

Hopefully console stock reaches saturation soon so the wafer distribution can be moved towards more GPUs!
    I wasn't looking at the RX6800XT/RX6900XT so it might have been possible it was better for them. I was hearing RTX3090 GPUs were easier to get than RTX3080 GPUs!

AMD generally has better performance/watt and more VRAM,so for me that is why I would have preferred an RX6700XT. Nvidia does have better RT performance,but currently like with Fermi and the HD5000 WRT to tessellation,I think both will be meh in RT performance terms within 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Usually the case, though that card was for my VR setup as my office is too space constrained to play most VR games so I wasn't as bothered.

Seems hard for AMD to say that consoles are still the reason for current AMD GPU pricing if all the shops have stock?!?
    I don't know but its not only stock - even the RRP of the RX6700XT was too high against the RTX3060TI.

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Didn't x60 or x600 cards used to be around £200 or so?
    Way too steep for me at RRP never mind during a shortage. Most I ever paid for a 7950 which I paid £240 (less since I was able to flog the voucher codes so closer to £200). And was ATM second from the top.
    The last card I bough was a 6GB 1060 for £140 from Amazon warehouse which I unwisely flogged around last September (I though I was doing okay getting £100 for it at the time, little did I know still £40 for 18 months use was good). Had hopped to get a card with more VRAM without paying much more as there are some Skyrim Wabbajack modlists which really want 8GB or more (recently upgraded both my monitors to 1440p for WfH so would now need more grunt too).
    I agree - did get hold of an RTX3060TI 8GB but will need to see how long I have it,but I am concerned this price increase is going to keep happening. I have hedged my bets,by trying to get a 1080p monitor for gaming,instead of my current qHD monitor(which I bought for image editing).

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I agree - did get hold of an RTX3060TI 8GB but will need to see how long I have it,but I am concerned this price increase is going to keep happening. I have hedged my bets,by trying to get a 1080p monitor for gaming,instead of my current qHD monitor(which I bought for image editing).
    Lots of foundry expansion ATM.
    Even GF is expanding.
    ASML is fully booked out as memory manufacturer now want EUV too.

Obviously, those billion will have to paid back (foundry business is almost like a bank), but eventually there might be a glut.

PRC foundries might have become the disruptors but that's unlike in the short term as China now has to bypass ASML. Longer term it will eventually happen.

Proper foundries keep a lot of their old lines (unlike Intel) which helps but GPUs really need the advanced expensive nodes for most things. Maybe if the cost per transistors keeps barely falling, someone can design a huge wide GPU which run on 14nm or similar but at lower clocks. Nobody has ever designed anything except cheap older GPUs with that thinking.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Lots of foundry expansion ATM.
    Even GF is expanding.
    ASML is fully booked out as memory manufacturer now want EUV too.

Obviously, those billion will have to paid back (foundry business is almost like a bank), but eventually there might be a glut.

PRC foundries might have become the disruptors but that's unlike in the short term as China now has to bypass ASML. Longer term it will eventually happen.

Proper foundries keep a lot of their old lines (unlike Intel) which helps but GPUs really need the advanced expensive nodes for most things. Maybe if the cost per transistors keeps barely falling, someone can design a huge wide GPU which run on 14nm or similar but at lower clocks. Nobody has ever designed anything except cheap older GPUs with that thinking.
    The problem is AMD/Nvidia and their focus on short term margins. Even the GDDR6 shortage issues rumour,almost sounds a bit planted to justify the higher pricing. Even that PS5 failed SOC motherboard has 16GB of GDDR6,and I suspect it won't be that highly priced,as the CPU will be slower than a Ryzen 7 3700X/5700G with DDR4.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I don't know but its not only stock - even the RRP of the RX6700XT was too high against the RTX3060TI.
    I had a quick look on Overclockers, and noticed they had the non FE 3060ti available, and the price was pretty high but still lower cost than the 6700 XT cards they have.

I'm struggling to see how AMD are selling any GPUs right now.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I had a quick look on Overclockers, and noticed they had the non FE 3060ti available, and the price was pretty high but still lower cost than the 6700 XT cards they have.

AMD seems to be making the same mistake Intel is by just looking at margins - remember this a while back:
    https://www.techspot.com/news/89822-...cpus-over.html

IMHO,they are doing the same with GPUs,but forgetting that they haven't really beaten Nvidia and haven't got the mindshare yet. Their GPU sales share has gone from 25% of the market in Q1 2020 to under 20% currently. Nvidia seems to be able to address more of the market,whereas AMD has even gotten rid of most of its 14NM/12NM products. Nvidia,OTH,hasn't done this.

Thanks

Probably not very relevant but i can tell you, having been checking daily for a month or more, that they've only got those in stock over the last few days.

I've notice a few e-tailers got stock in of 3060 Ti's over the last week so i guess things are improving slowly but prices are still stratospheric.

8. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (22-07-2021)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Probably not very relevant but i can tell you, having been checking daily for a month or more, that they've only got those in stock over the last few days.

I've notice a few e-tailers got stock in of 3060 Ti's over the last week so i guess things are improving slowly but prices are still stratospheric.
    Cheers, I wondered if that was the case but didn't know. There seem to have been AMD cards in stock for weeks now, perhaps if some Nvidia cards are turning up the sales will drop off at that price and the prices will come down.

OFC we have the "back to school" spending spree coming up soon, so a bunch of GPUs going into machines for a new school/university year might keep demand high for a bit.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Presumably they're selling them to AIB partners fine, who are probably the ones who've put up prices to retail because they're still being bought somehow.

AMD seems to be making the same mistake Intel is by just looking at margins - remember this a while back:
    https://www.techspot.com/news/89822-...cpus-over.html

IMHO,they are doing the same with GPUs,but forgetting that they haven't really beaten Nvidia and haven't got the mindshare yet. Their GPU sales share has gone from 25% of the market in Q1 2020 to under 20% currently. Nvidia seems to be able to address more of the market,whereas AMD has even gotten rid of most of its 14NM/12NM products. Nvidia,OTH,hasn't done this.
    Isn't this news article precisely about that? They are beginning to address more mainstream markets with the likes of the 6600.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post

They have been in stock on and off for weeks. The difference is the RTX3060 and RTX3060TI sell out quicker,and the RX6700XT drops take much longer to sell out,and in a number of case they don't appear to. People on OcUK forums have started to noticed this and have questioned why they cost so much!

Its not even like the RX6700XT is a great mining GPU either,so the pricing is pure fantasy even if you consider mining.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Isn't this news article precisely about that? They are beginning to address more mainstream markets with the likes of the 6600.
    The AMD PR guy mocked the Ampere launch for not having enough stock,and implied there was plenty of stock for the RX6800 series launch in comparison. The reality there was even less stock for the RX6000 series. I don't believe anything AMD PR is saying about stock levels until we see it(mates still managed to get aftermarket RTX3060TI cards easily for just over £400 from Scan well into December).

Also it all means diddly squat,if like the RX6700XT launch you can find hardly anything near to RRP. Everyone I know who wanted a RX6700XT,just ended up with a RTX3060TI because at least Nvidia has partnered with a local retailer to offer some GPUs at RRP. AMD does not ship via their store to the UK now,so even the tiny chance of you finding a reference model at RRP(it was already not a great chance) is even worse in the UK.

So AMD RRP in the UK is currently make belief.

The cheapest I ever saw a RX6700XT was £450~£470 IIRC,when OcUK did a special forum only deal for a small amount of members,where they lost money AFAIK. The RX6700XT RRP was £420 and it was already considered to be slightly overpriced by many reviewers. I really wanted an RX6700XT,but the RTX3060TI is just better price/performance.

You can see this on this very forum,where many(including me) have just given up on getting any AMD GPU under £700 at even close to RRP.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 22-07-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks

No news on the 6700 non XT version looking at the skews it will be a 36 CU Gpu and 12/8GB

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

The last Nvidia GPu I had was an fx5200 and I have been AMD since and planned to stay that way and want a 6700xt. But right now a 3060ti or 3070 Fe is my only real chance as AMD don't me as a customer in the UK.

Don't get me wrong if all the 6700xts in stock everywhere come down to reasonable prices I will buy one, its who want to take my money first.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    The last Nvidia GPu I had was an fx5200 ...
    I can see how that would put you off Nvidia

15. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (23-07-2021),kalniel (23-07-2021),Percy1983 (23-07-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information