Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 29

Thread: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,661
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Report source indicates that there will be "plenty of cards" available.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,573
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked
    5,047 times in 3,901 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    At what price though?? There are plenty of RX6700XT GPUs,etc available but at massively over the RRP,which itself wasn't that great.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    28 times in 19 posts

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    At what price though?? There are plenty of RX6700XT GPUs,etc available but at massively over the RRP,which itself wasn't that great.
    Yes. Although better availability will (should) eventually drive pricing down to levels that aren't insane. Then there is of course the Chinese crackdown on vapour-coin that should help the second-hand market.
    I fear however that the manufacturers will use the scarcity/pandemic/scalping excuse as a permanent price-hike across the board.

  4. #4
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,302
    Thanks
    708
    Thanked
    1,389 times in 1,179 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    Then there is of course the Chinese crackdown on vapour-coin that should help the second-hand market.
    From the reports of GPUs being bought straight out the factory in China before we have a sniff at them, I am hoping a lack of Chinese GPU mining will help the new market come back to normality.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,505
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    468 times in 326 posts

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Going off what CAT-THE-FIFTH tipped me of to a few weeks ago (iirc) I'm expecting 3060 levels of performance for £379. Not what i wanted as I'm after 3060 Ti levels of performance (decent 1440p gaming performance), hopefully "plenty of cards to go around," will put downward pressure on prices of higher up cards (there's actually stock of some cards now, still silly prices though).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,813
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked
    352 times in 285 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Going off what CAT-THE-FIFTH tipped me of to a few weeks ago (iirc) I'm expecting 3060 levels of performance for £379. Not what i wanted as I'm after 3060 Ti levels of performance (decent 1440p gaming performance), hopefully "plenty of cards to go around," will put downward pressure on prices of higher up cards (there's actually stock of some cards now, still silly prices though).
    Funny how £379 doesn't sound as expensive as it did this time last year!

    Still, nearly £400 for a fricking mid range graphics card!

    For reference, an RX 480 was £230 at launch and had the same die size. I appreciate that 7nm is pricier than 14nm but the jump from £130 to £230 for mid range took 15 years!
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    How many paper launches in a row now? I guess at least there's a valid excuse now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,505
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    468 times in 326 posts

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    Funny how £379 doesn't sound as expensive as it did this time last year!

    Still, nearly £400 for a fricking mid range graphics card!

    For reference, an RX 480 was £230 at launch and had the same die size. I appreciate that 7nm is pricier than 14nm but the jump from £130 to £230 for mid range took 15 years!
    I'm not sure it's even mid range, more upper low end IMO. A sub £400 card may struggle to run some games with all the bells and whistles decently at 1440p and that to me is mid range with 1080p being low end and 4k high end, at least in my brain.

    I'd love for the RX 6600/XT to be a decent 1440p sub £400 card but (iirc) they pitched the 6700's as the ideal 1440p card and that's close to £500 MSRP so i can't see them targeting that resolution with this one.

  9. Received thanks from:

    CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-07-2021)

  10. #9
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,573
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked
    5,047 times in 3,901 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    AMD is not the budget brand,so now they have decided to price higher than Nvidia. However,the issue is Nvidia also is overpriced - everyone just compares everything to Turing/RDNA1 which were poorly priced at launch too.

    At least Nvidia does some FE drops so you can have GPUs at "RRP" but AMD does not do this in Europe,so you end up with the RRP being a myth.

    Its a joke when a console such as the XBox Series X has a 56 CU part,etc. So at this point I seriously doubt,once devs make maximum use of the console SOCs,whethere an RTX3060TI/RX6700XT are going to be better than a console.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm not sure it's even mid range, more upper low end IMO. A sub £400 card may struggle to run some games with all the bells and whistles decently at 1440p and that to me is mid range with 1080p being low end and 4k high end, at least in my brain.

    I'd love for the RX 6600/XT to be a decent 1440p sub £400 card but (iirc) they pitched the 6700's as the ideal 1440p card and that's close to £500 MSRP so i can't see them targeting that resolution with this one.
    You can tell AMD has quietly pushed up the range one notch. The RX6600 4GB isn't a replacement for an RX5600XT,but more likely the RX5500 series.

    I expect pricing like the following:
    1.)RX6600XT 8GB £350 vs RTX3060TI 8GB
    2)RX6600 8GB £300 vs RTX3060 12GB
    3.)RX6000 4GB £250

    Then you need to consider the RT performance of these GPUs,is already a bit rubbish as you need DLSS/FSR if you want to run at 1440p,a resolution now found on sub £200 GPUs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 20-07-2021 at 06:45 PM.

  11. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,302
    Thanks
    708
    Thanked
    1,389 times in 1,179 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The RX6600 4GB isn't a replacement for an RX5600XT,but more likely the RX5500 series.
    That could be a "try mining on that if you can" stunt. You can't do much gaming on 4GB either, not modern stuff anyway, but there are times I just want to plug in a bunch of monitors and get some work done.

  12. #11
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,573
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked
    5,047 times in 3,901 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That could be a "try mining on that if you can" stunt. You can't do much gaming on 4GB either, not modern stuff anyway, but there are times I just want to plug in a bunch of monitors and get some work done.
    I have a SFF system so don't want to destroy the rest of my PC,and what is the point of buying a GPU for some gaming,if you need to do more work just to afford it?? Might as well buy some crypto and bet on that then!

  13. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    They have to be $350 for the 6600XT and $280 for the 6600 in order to be attractive options for mid range gamers.
    I have a feeling though that AMD is going to charge $400 for the 6600xt and $350 for the 6600 which is absurd, the RX 5700xt was $400 and its likely to be slightly slower than the 6600xt

  14. #13
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked
    340 times in 293 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    AMD is not the budget brand,so now they have decided to price higher than Nvidia. However,the issue is Nvidia also is overpriced - everyone just compares everything to Turing/RDNA1 which were poorly priced at launch too.

    At least Nvidia does some FE drops so you can have GPUs at "RRP" but AMD does not do this in Europe,so you end up with the RRP being a myth.

    ...

    Thats not true, the AMD cards drop regularly on thursdays (has for several weeks if not months), there is definitely more chance of getting these than FE cards I know because I have been watching both but I wanted FE and everytime I saw the 6800xt and 6900xt come in stock at RRP on AMDs site. I finally got a 3080FE via scan so I cant say I am watching it much more now but that was only last week so its not old info.

    Both are terrible to get hold of for sure just making sure its known that its not impossible nor is it worse than FE that come in stock randomly and on a different site
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  15. #14
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,573
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked
    5,047 times in 3,901 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Thats not true, the AMD cards drop regularly on thursdays (has for several weeks if not months), there is definitely more chance of getting these than FE cards I know because I have been watching both but I wanted FE and everytime I saw the 6800xt and 6900xt come in stock at RRP on AMDs site. I finally got a 3080FE via scan so I cant say I am watching it much more now but that was only last week so its not old info.

    Both are terrible to get hold of for sure just making sure its known that its not impossible nor is it worse than FE that come in stock randomly and on a different site
    Really?? That is not the case for the RX6700XT/RX6800 and I am subbed to multiple alert Discords.

    I was waiting for an RX6700XT,and never saw one at RRP. I never saw it the day it launched,and I have not seen it since. Compare that to the RTX3060TI where I could have got one on launch day,and even well into December last year,you could get AIB ones for just over £400. Nobody I know has gotten an RX6700XT or RX6800 at RRP at all and its even worse for the RX6700XT,where soon after launch the cheapest deal I ever saw was a RX6700XT on OcUK on a special deal and it was £450~£470 IIRC and it sold out very quickly The same goes with the RX6800.

    Just look on Hexus and OcUK forums - many have managed to secure RTX3060TI FE,but RX6700XT reference models?? Rare as hen's teeth. The AIB ones are all over RRP.AMD has stock but its massively over RRP. OcUK has tons of RX6700XT in stock,like some other retailers but its priced incredibly high.All the people I knew who got AMD cards like the RX6700XT and RX6800 bought them for over RRP.

    Even Hexus locals like DWL who probably would prefer an AMD GPU(and I do because I run Linux a bit),ended up with an RTX3060TI for this very reason. Even a few weeks ago,Amazon had an RTX3060 for £300ish.In fact over the last month there have been 3 RTX3060TI drops,and last week lots of the higher end cards were available. Now there is a massive drop of the full range today.

    It's also reflected by actual AMD GPU sales share - its collapsed over the last year. AMD itself has admitted consoles have impacted supply.

    Edit!!

    Also,another issue is that AMD doesn't even now ship reference models to the UK from their store:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ore_to_the_uk/

    Something to do with the customs issues after we left the EU. So that implies,unlike Nvidia who uses Scan,AMD seems to ship reference models from an EU location.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-07-2021 at 11:35 AM.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked
    340 times in 293 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Really?? That is not the case for the RX6700XT/RX6800 and I am subbed to multiple alert Discords.

    I was waiting for an RX6700XT,and never saw one at RRP. I never saw it the day it launched,and I have not seen it since. Compare that to the RTX3060TI where I could have got one on launch day,and even well into December last year,you could get AIB ones for just over £400. Nobody I know has gotten an RX6700XT or RX6800 at RRP at all and its even worse for the RX6700XT,where soon after launch the cheapest deal I ever saw was a RX6700XT on OcUK on a special deal and it was £450~£470 IIRC and it sold out very quickly The same goes with the RX6800.

    Just look on Hexus and OcUK forums - many have managed to secure RTX3060TI FE,but RX6700XT reference models?? Rare as hen's teeth. The AIB ones are all over RRP.AMD has stock but its massively over RRP. OcUK has tons of RX6700XT in stock,like some other retailers but its priced incredibly high.All the people I knew who got AMD cards like the RX6700XT and RX6800 bought them for over RRP.

    Even Hexus locals like DWL who probably would prefer an AMD GPU(and I do because I run Linux a bit),ended up with an RTX3060TI for this very reason. Even a few weeks ago,Amazon had an RTX3060 for £300ish.In fact over the last month there have been 3 RTX3060TI drops,and last week lots of the higher end cards were available. Now there is a massive drop of the full range today.

    It's also reflected by actual AMD GPU sales share - its collapsed over the last year. AMD itself has admitted consoles have impacted supply.

    Edit!!

    Also,another issue is that AMD doesn't even now ship reference models to the UK from their store:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ore_to_the_uk/

    Something to do with the customs issues after we left the EU. So that implies,unlike Nvidia who uses Scan,AMD seems to ship reference models from an EU location.

    Interesting, I can only say for the 6800xt for sure but I was using dropsentry (discord) and partalert (twitter), I did sucessfully add a 6800xt to my cart but didnt checkout as I stopped myself (was getting really fed up waiting for 3080 FE!). DIdnt realise they werent shipping to the UK so wouldnt have seen that until I proceeded to the checkout, that would have been doubly frustrating! Pretty crappy situation then

    I only went with the 3080FE because their encoder performance is much better so for using the Oculus Quest 2 via link/wireless is better performance than AMD, it was the only factor as I always buy AMD IF they are equal in performance/price or better which AMD is right now for NON RT games (dont really care for it, nice to have not huge value yet).

    Hopefully console stock reaches saturation soon so the wafer distribution can be moved towards more GPUs!
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  17. #16
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,302
    Thanks
    708
    Thanked
    1,389 times in 1,179 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Radeon RX 6600/XT graphics cards tipped to launch on 11 Aug

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Even Hexus locals like DWL who probably would prefer an AMD GPU(and I do because I run Linux a bit),ended up with an RTX3060TI for this very reason.
    Usually the case, though that card was for my VR setup as my office is too space constrained to play most VR games so I wasn't as bothered.

    Seems hard for AMD to say that consoles are still the reason for current AMD GPU pricing if all the shops have stock?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •