Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung launches Galaxy Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 foldables

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung launches Galaxy Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 foldables

No big changes but design refinements, increased durability, and keener pricing welcome.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung launches Galaxy Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 foldables

I'm more interested in the Flip than the Fold as for the size I could live with the compromises whereas the Fold doesn't have the same excuse. Although it's still an expensive Samsung :/
    Last edited by Rob_B; 12-08-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

The Fold in my eyes at least would make something like xCloud etc actually playable on the go if you are travelling or rely on those services for your gaming fix.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Flip might actually be quite strong too. I can see you being able to drop it and not worry about the screen having issues.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

"No big changes" is a bit subjective - i'd argue the under display camera & water proofing are both rather large changes here - you could add the S-Pen support to that list too for those who are interested.

It's another big leap forward in making foldables a viable device for the mass market once the price comes down - getting closer to hardware feature parity with the more mainstream "slab" phones. The fold 2 was admittedly a bigger leap forward being a lot more doable than the first fold, alongside many other big improvements. My fold 2 has been through some abuse recently (hard drops from a height, some screen impacts that terrified me)..but its not got a single mark or scratch on it.

Got my pre-order in yesterday for a black Fold 3 - a little dissapointed they only offered £600 as trade in for the fold 2, but thats still £100 more than most phone recycling companies and roughly what they go for on ebay, so could be worse. Combined with cashback and the 10% referral discount it comes in at £820 for the upgrade...still silly expensive but could have been a lot worse!

Fingers crossed they don't mess up the deliveries this year and they have enough stock to fulfil pre orders. You'd hope they have planned better this time around and won't be quite as caught out by the high demand!

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

I've been waiting since all year for the Sony Xperia 1 III to drop but it has yet to surface and the Flip will be cheaper and I kind of like the idea of having a phone that easily fits in a pocket again.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    I've been waiting since all year for the Sony Xperia 1 III to drop but it has yet to surface and the Flip will be cheaper and I kind of like the idea of having a phone that easily fits in a pocket again.
    I had the Xperia 1 ii for a month - be very, very sure you want a 21:9 phone like that before you buy one, they do not easily fit into pockets due to their length, and I had big problems with the proximity sensor too as a result of it's length (apparently my face isn't long enough! You have to be very careful with placement on your face or the sensors will keep turning the screen on)...it was a painful experience that cost me a few hundred £ in the end when I changed to a fold 2. A shame as the camera was really nice and I do like the 21:9 aspect ratio for watching content...the device just did a bad job as a phone.

Unlike the fold 2 (and now 3)...which works as a phone, AND fits in my pocket

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

If I had the money for such things, I'd really be torn between the two.
    I love the idea of a massive screen that folds down to a sensible size, although it only seems sensible when compared to today's already massive smartphones.
    But that Flip really is taking phones back to proper pocket size, so looks insanely cute and desirable to me.

Just thinking back to when people made fun of me because I still had a flip phone, and because I preferred dinky little phones to massive slabs, despite them being the same people that also made fun of others when their phones were getting bigger. At this rate we'll be seeing foldable phones with physical QWERTies pretty soon!

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    The Fold in my eyes at least would make something like xCloud etc actually playable on the go if you are travelling or rely on those services for your gaming fix.
    Given that Xbox gaming is in the 16:9 letterbox format, you probably won’t make a massive gain in the size of the gaming display… but the black borders will definitely be bigger ;-D

I can see the appeal of the Fold now it’s been through a couple of iterations, but I’m not the road warrior I once was, so it’s not a screaming priority. If it supports full-screen use with DJI’s drones, that might tempt me to splurge (the extra room for icons and overlays could be a game changer)… albeit a tablet is bigger still and cheaper.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    Given that Xbox gaming is in the 16:9 letterbox format, you probably won’t make a massive gain in the size of the gaming display… but the black borders will definitely be bigger ;-D

I can see the appeal of the Fold now it’s been through a couple of iterations, but I’m not the road warrior I once was, so it’s not a screaming priority. If it supports full-screen use with DJI’s drones, that might tempt me to splurge (the extra room for icons and overlays could be a game changer)… albeit a tablet is bigger still and cheaper.
    xCloud works really well on the fold - I use it with a FlyDigi Wee 2T (£30 ish on banggood et al) and it fits in the controller perfectly in full screen mode. Plays well, and despite the borders you do get a boost to screen real estate.

I have mixed feelings about it with DJI drones though - it does support full screen for them and that is really nice for the reasons you specify - mostly the bigger video feed and less of a cluttered feeling....however it is a real tight squeeze to fit it into the controller securely, and I have to use a USB-C extension to plug it in safely. All works, but it is a bit of an extra faff when you just want to plug in and fly.

Thanks

This one isn't for me. No phone at anything like that price is. Nor is one that big. I have no interest at all in gaming on a phone, nor in watching content on one, so it's too big as a phone (for me) and too small as a screen to watch stuff, even if it was at half that price. But then, it's no surprise. I'm a very reluctant member of generation smartphone, and have one because I need it for a couple of things, not because I want one or actually like them. I'm sure it'll sell pretty well, and I don't dispute that it's clever, but I don't want one even if it was given to me.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    "No big changes" is a bit subjective - i'd argue the under display camera & water proofing are both rather large changes here - you could add the S-Pen support to that list too for those who are interested.

It's another big leap forward in making foldables a viable device for the mass market once the price comes down - getting closer to hardware feature parity with the more mainstream "slab" phones. The fold 2 was admittedly a bigger leap forward being a lot more doable than the first fold, alongside many other big improvements. My fold 2 has been through some abuse recently (hard drops from a height, some screen impacts that terrified me)..but its not got a single mark or scratch on it.

Got my pre-order in yesterday for a black Fold 3 - a little dissapointed they only offered £600 as trade in for the fold 2, but thats still £100 more than most phone recycling companies and roughly what they go for on ebay, so could be worse. Combined with cashback and the 10% referral discount it comes in at £820 for the upgrade...still silly expensive but could have been a lot worse!

Fingers crossed they don't mess up the deliveries this year and they have enough stock to fulfil pre orders. You'd hope they have planned better this time around and won't be quite as caught out by the high demand!
    How is the creasing on the screen over time? Its one of my main concerns with these kinds of phones,but a foldable screen does make the Z Flip more pocketable.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    This one isn't for me. No phone at anything like that price is. Nor is one that big. I have no interest at all in gaming on a phone, nor in watching content on one, so it's too big as a phone (for me) and too small as a screen to watch stuff, even if it was at half that price. But then, it's no surprise. I'm a very reluctant member of generation smartphone, and have one because I need it for a couple of things, not because I want one or actually like them. I'm sure it'll sell pretty well, and I don't dispute that it's clever, but I don't want one even if it was given to me.

I do like the idea of the Z Flip,ie,it folds down like an old flip phone which means the screen gets more protection,and makes it easier to put in your pocket. Price is high,but hopefully in a few years the technology will get cheaper.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    How is the creasing on the screen over time? Its one of my main concerns with these kinds of phones,but a foldable screen does make the Z Flip more pocketable.
    Honestly, its no different to when I first got the phone nearly a year ago. It's visible with the screen off or on dark content if you look for it, but in the majority of use cases I don't see it at all.

This is one area where removing the screen protector is advised - if you leave it on, the crease gets a lot more visible over time, and its also where it starts to lift (understandably). With the fold 2 Samsung are happy for you to remove the protector, its not "part of the screen" as with the fold 1, and it makes a noticeable difference.

The flip will indeed be more pocketable, but it's not for me - I use the external screen on my fold 2 a LOT..as well, its just a normal sized phone screen then - losing that for a bit more pocket ability would be a challenge imo. I'm also less convinced in the need for more vertical real estate - I think it's more targeted at those who use their phone for a lot of social media where you are constantly scrolling twitter/facebook or whatever, and makes sense for that use case - but I think its limited for other uses.

I'd keep an eye out for the original flip or the Fold 2 on ebay etc in the next few months - if you get a good one for £500ish on the fold 2 side, or £350 for the flip..you are in a good place imo.

14. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (12-08-2021)

Thanks

A reminder for anyone with access to 'perksatwork' - You can get 10% off the pre-orders for these...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Honestly, its no different to when I first got the phone nearly a year ago. It's visible with the screen off or on dark content if you look for it, but in the majority of use cases I don't see it at all.

This is one area where removing the screen protector is advised - if you leave it on, the crease gets a lot more visible over time, and its also where it starts to lift (understandably). With the fold 2 Samsung are happy for you to remove the protector, its not "part of the screen" as with the fold 1, and it makes a noticeable difference.

The flip will indeed be more pocketable, but it's not for me - I use the external screen on my fold 2 a LOT..as well, its just a normal sized phone screen then - losing that for a bit more pocket ability would be a challenge imo. I'm also less convinced in the need for more vertical real estate - I think it's more targeted at those who use their phone for a lot of social media where you are constantly scrolling twitter/facebook or whatever, and makes sense for that use case - but I think its limited for other uses.

I'd keep an eye out for the original flip or the Fold 2 on ebay etc in the next few months - if you get a good one for £500ish on the fold 2 side, or £350 for the flip..you are in a good place imo.
    Well I already got hold of a S20FE 5G,so probably not at least for a year or so! But Samsung now has committed to 3 years of OS updates and 4 years of security updates for their phones,which is a selling point over the competition IMHO.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

I had the Xperia 1 ii for a month - be very, very sure you want a 21:9 phone like that before you buy one, they do not easily fit into pockets due to their length, and I had big problems with the proximity sensor too as a result of it's length (apparently my face isn't long enough! You have to be very careful with placement on your face or the sensors will keep turning the screen on)...it was a painful experience that cost me a few hundred £ in the end when I changed to a fold 2. A shame as the camera was really nice and I do like the 21:9 aspect ratio for watching content...the device just did a bad job as a phone.

Unlike the fold 2 (and now 3)...which works as a phone, AND fits in my pocket
    My current phone of the last 2+ years was the Xperia 1 so used to 21:9 now, was weird feeling at the start but love it now and the splitting it for 2 apps is nice especially when watching youtube as doesnt stop it playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information