Thread: Kingston releases 1GB/s DataTraveler Max (USB Type-C)

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Kingston releases 1GB/s DataTraveler Max (USB Type-C)

Available in 256GB, 512GB, 1TB capacities, providing up to 1GB/s read, 0.9GB/s writes.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Kingston releases 1GB/s DataTraveler Max (USB Type-C)

Unless these are a lot more reliable than many memory sticks I've experienced in the past, I'd be very nervous about using one of anything like a 1TB capacity. I'd rather stick to SSD. I use sticks for very temporary purposes, and can't think of a situation where I'd need these. Not for me, I think.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Unless these are a lot more reliable than many memory sticks I've experienced in the past, I'd be very nervous about using one of anything like a 1TB capacity. I'd rather stick to SSD. I use sticks for very temporary purposes, and can't think of a situation where I'd need these. Not for me, I think.
    Most of the 'faster' memory sticks are basically just a custom shaped ssd with a usb interface these days. Even the external ssd's aren't that much different, it's more about shape of the board etc and hitting the price point they want to sell at (likely by using cheaper mem chips etc).

You can quite easily grab an external usb case for internal pcie drives these days, bit bigger in size but same principle as this really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Most of the 'faster' memory sticks are basically just a custom shaped ssd with a usb interface these days. Even the external ssd's aren't that much different, it's more about shape of the board etc and hitting the price point they want to sell at (likely by using cheaper mem chips etc).

You can quite easily grab an external usb case for internal pcie drives these days, bit bigger in size but same principle as this really.
    That makes sense. And if this had arrived a year or so back might have found a home here. But as it is, I'm mid-process of stripping my old gear down, clearing out a number of old systems, and have just stuck in a (for me) huge HD repository of data on a NAS, a few decently fast 1TB SSDs on systems and redesigned where/how I store stuff to give a blend of sync'd fast access, much slower mass storage and structured backup. I could have used these .... or that new 8TB Sabrent Rocket 4 SSD .... no doubt, after recovering from the blood pressure spike induced by the price.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

1TB flash drives have certainly come down a bit in price. Last one I looked at cost over £990!

TBH, the only flash drive I ever had go slightly funny was an old Patriot one, from when USB3.0 first hit the market, and even that one is fine now.
    I do miss the Corsair OTG drives with USB A at one end and MicroUSB at t'other for use with my phone. Far faster and easier than faffing with Bluetooth, wireless or cloud-based solutions. Happily, I have my eye on a rather novel one with USB-C instead of micro, which should do nicely if I actually get around to upgrading my phone this decade...

Thanks

That makes sense. And if this had arrived a year or so back might have found a home here. But as it is, I'm mid-process of stripping my old gear down, clearing out a number of old systems, and have just stuck in a (for me) huge HD repository of data on a NAS, a few decently fast 1TB SSDs on systems and redesigned where/how I store stuff to give a blend of sync'd fast access, much slower mass storage and structured backup. I could have used these .... or that new 8TB Sabrent Rocket 4 SSD .... no doubt, after recovering from the blood pressure spike induced by the price.
    Yeah I'm in a similar sort of transition, high capacity nas for bulk storage, faster ssd based rig(s), it just seems a more balanced way to store things in the home/office for me.

I still sometimes need usb drives for file transfer from clients although I'm not sure a purely usb c connection is the best choice for that.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I like things like this for running live systems. They're great for TAILS but this kind of size is somewhat unnecessary for that application. The reliability isn't so much of an issue unless you're using the persistent encrypted storage. I'm sure some people store large amounts of data on such things but I've never found TAILS all that good for working on stuff and I'm sure they'd offload it onto some air gapped system as soon as possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    .... although I'm not sure a purely usb c connection is the best choice for that.
    A to C adapter?

Not ideal, granted, but it'll do for occasional use at least.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

A to C adapter?

I've got a reasonably fast USB stick which has an adaptor integrated into it, so you can use it on C or A. For the moment I think that's the best option although the adaptor is begging to be lost.

Thanks

A to C adapter?

I don't currently use the adapters and just pick the right cable because my device of choice is an external drive but I do keep looking at an adapter as an alternative, but considering how often I misplace my usb stick(s), I don't think it would last long lol.

I normally have a little 'kit' with me anyway with things like cables, sd cards, usb drive, battery pack etc so it's not like an extra cable (or adapter) takes up much space....I do need to find a better case for it all though.

Thread Information