Thread: Microsoft Mechanics video discusses Win 11 performance

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Mechanics video discusses Win 11 performance

Improved performance experiences for users aided by foreground task prioritisation.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Mechanics video discusses Win 11 performance

Hasn't foreground prioritisation been a part of Windows since forever, i hope they improve things since when LTT tested a dev build and found WII screwed up performance on Ryzen (YouTube).

Also, that video must be the least techie tech video I've ever listened to, apparently heavy load on a CPU is 40%. Talking of percentages, they keep mentioning percentages but without know what the baseline is that's meaningless, you may have made resume from sleep 30% faster but if it was only taking a few second 30% faster is like milliseconds and pretty pointless, same with we've done X so WII crashes 99.8% less, well if older versions of Windows only crash 0.3% of the time then that means WII crashes 0.2% of the time, a metric that's most meaningless.

/rant: I shouldn't get so annoyed at what Microsoft are doing but I'm sick of them treating me like an idiot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I shouldn't get so annoyed at what Microsoft are doing but I'm sick of them treating me like an idiot.
    They have to pander to the level of the lowest IQ user though, so some users will be actual idiots.

Thanks

/rant: I shouldn't get so annoyed at what Microsoft are doing but I'm sick of them treating me like an idiot.

I kid I kid

5. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (10-09-2021)

Thanks

Hasn't foreground prioritisation been a part of Windows since forever, i hope they improve things since when LTT tested a dev build and found WII screwed up performance on Ryzen (YouTube).
    to be fair this is likely coming more from the adjustments for intels new big little architecture etc than anything particularly new.

Also, that video must be the least techie tech video I've ever listened to, apparently heavy load on a CPU is 40%. Talking of percentages, they keep mentioning percentages but without know what the baseline is that's meaningless, you may have made resume from sleep 30% faster but if it was only taking a few second 30% faster is like milliseconds and pretty pointless, same with we've done X so WII crashes 99.8% less, well if older versions of Windows only crash 0.3% of the time then that means WII crashes 0.2% of the time, a metric that's most meaningless.

Ah the joys of percentages and graphs where parts of the measurements are hidden to make it look 'better' than it actually is.... got to love the way they market to idiots lol

Oh and I can't wait for this...
    Microsoft Mechanics channel is going to cover its minimum compatibility hurdles "in great detail," coming soon, in a video hosted by Dave Weston, Partner Director PM, Enterprise Security, Microsoft.
    I wonder how stupid they think their users are....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post

I kid I kid
    I was so asking for that wasn't I.

Thanks

I thought I did well to resist the obvious dig tbh

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    to be fair this is likely coming more from the adjustments for intels new big little architecture etc than anything particularly new.

Ah the joys of percentages and graphs where parts of the measurements are hidden to make it look 'better' than it actually is.... got to love the way they market to idiots lol

Oh and I can't wait for this...
    I wonder how stupid they think their users are....
    The thing is ask the average Windows user do they have an intel or AMD chip and 95%+ of them wouldn't have a clue (even with a sticker!). Ask them if its a 10th or 11th gen Intel core i5 and the numbers get worse. I've said it before on these forums but we are the exception. Heck even most tech guys will check a LinusTechTips video rather than figure it out themselves... Microsoft are targeting the 98~99% not us.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    The thing is ask the average Windows user do they have an intel or AMD chip and 95%+ of them wouldn't have a clue (even with a sticker!). Ask them if its a 10th or 11th gen Intel core i5 and the numbers get worse. I've said it before on these forums but we are the exception. Heck even most tech guys will check a LinusTechTips video rather than figure it out themselves... Microsoft are targeting the 98~99% not us.
    Most people are going to stick with whatever they have - its why it took so many years for Windows XP and Windows 7 to get replaced. That included loads of businesses,the military,etc.

Its enthusiasts on forums/social media who have been the most vocal MS evangelists out there. The thing is we are the exception as MS is desperately trying to target the few who actually follow Windows,ie,enthusiasts and gamers so we can influence the"less technical" around us to upgrade:

https://careers.microsoft.com/profes...n/c-evangelism

Yes,MS actually pushes "Microsoft Evangelism" as a career,for people with a technical background to advocate those will less knowledge to use MS products. This is a company has been caught doing astroturfing with "technical" bloggers and on Reddit:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2365...-explorer.html
    https://thenextweb.com/news/microsof...ox-one-console

So it entirely is part of their "marketing" strategy to target "more technical" users to try and push their products. Even look at all the suspicious comments on their YT video - its all about making it seem like "technical" people think its the bestest thing since sliced bread,so the "less technical" will be OK with upgrading. This is why they are trying all these "infomercials" because we are the group who will be most likely to move to a new iteration of Windows first,as its part of their marketing push. All of this advertising isn't for non-techies.....its for us! Look we are even talking about Windows 11 which is what MS wants us to be doing!

The rest couldn't give a rats backside as Windows is a means to an end now.That is the reality I have seen over the last decade with most non-techies. Smartphones/tablets are the primary computing device for most people worldwide now - there are over 3X the number of smartphones than Windows 10 devices out there. They are just doing what IBM did,shrink and shrink their scope which is exactly the Wall Street way of thinking.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-09-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    .... its all about making it seem like "technical" people think its the bestest thing since sliced bread,....
    /off-topic remark

I must say, they may be right that it is. However, since most "sliced" bread seems to be mass-produced, dubious quality and tasteless pap, I'm not convinced it's exactly aspirational. Give me a good quality, unsliced 'artisan' loaf any day.

I just wish I could bake my own OS like I often do with my own bread. At least that way, I could ensure the quality of ingredients was high, and "additives" minimal or eliminated. It also wouldn't try to butter and jam itself, or make a chocolate spread sandwich when I really wanted a ploughmans and crusty roll.

/end off-topic remark

PS. I might be pushing the analogy a bit far there.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information