Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Microsoft Start' is the new name for MSN and Microsoft News

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

'Microsoft Start' is the new name for MSN and Microsoft News

Rebranded unified news feed will be available via web, app, Windows taskbar, Win 11 widget.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Re: 'Microsoft Start' is the new name for MSN and Microsoft News

There is nothing of interest for me at MSN, and i do hate when i log out of my live mail i am forwarded to MSN.
    I do not like things forced upon me, so please quit this BS Microsoft.

Thanks

I can't think of another company that's failed to read the room as badly as Microsoft are, not only are they telling people there's never been a better time to buy a new PC during a global pandemic and semiconductor shortage, but they're now pushing 'news' feeds onto people.

Thanks

Yay, more unnecessary junk being added to the operating system.... doesn't seem I can have the website on firefox either lol

Supposedly people have been requesting 'news' etc to be added to the desktop, yet I can't say I know anyone that actually wants it and I'd expect most businesses will disable it too.
    This junk is nothing more than MS trying to 'inflate' usage numbers of bing and edge (forced opening etc) and increase profits from that side of their business.

Instead of focusing on stuff like 'news', which lets be honest we can get easily enough on a browser, how about MS offer up good alternatives to iPhoto, iVideo etc....

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Supposedly people have been requesting 'news' etc to be added to the desktop, yet I can't say I know anyone that actually wants it and I'd expect most businesses will disable it too.
    Well now you know one: I want it

I actually quite liked the old tiles which showed me stock prices, weather, news headlines, traffic etc.

The recent taskbar based app was kind of an improvement in some areas, but not others. But if done well, this Start app might be just what I'm looking for.

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't mind the idea of the feed, but it's ****. Every time I've told it I don't want to see news from x publication, I still get it. Every time I've told it I don't want sports news, I still get sports news. Every time I've told it I don't want to hear about celebrities, I still get what whats-her-face is wearing. What's the point of saying I don't want this **** if you still throw it at me.
    And the cherry on top was yesterday, an amazon advert with a picture of a woman holding up sex toys. Decided to see what people had been searching to pull up such a result by following the advert - it opens amazon with the search terms vacuum cleaner henry.

Maybe if I start clicking all the crap I don't want, it'll get rid of it all and I'll get stuff I actually want

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Well now you know one: I want it

I actually quite liked the old tiles which showed me stock prices, weather, news headlines, traffic etc.

The recent taskbar based app was kind of an improvement in some areas, but not others. But if done well, this Start app might be just what I'm looking for.
    I don't mind the app, that's 'optional' if we want to use/install it, which is the way it should be for something like this.

I'm not even that bothered over the website, what is annoying is the fact it's being added directly to the desktop via widgets and the 'news panel' on windows 10....it's unnecessary bloat that doesn't need to be directly part of the OS.

Thanks

So glad I'm gonna not install Win 11 , the dog pile is getting worse. Most things in Windows should be optional,it's supposed to be an opperating system. Hell , why can't they just thin the thing down to just that and make it more usable without all the crap thats in it. Give us the option of add ons to install afterwards if we want them and instill a bit of belief back into M.S. You can go anywhere on the net for news feed without further bloating Windows. I have a default Email account at Yahoo and that defaults to Yahoo's home page which is full of junk news and items that must be of interest to brain dead peeps out there. Starting to think the internet is chockka with complete media trash.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

This is the kind of nonsense that used to get thrown in with the Plus Pack. That said it's not really new bloat as the News thing has been there since Win8, they've just renamed it. Never bothered with it because the news was always horribly US skewed despite Windows knowing I was in the UK.

Thanks

Yay, more unnecessary junk being added to the operating system.... doesn't seem I can have the website on firefox either lol

I have no particular problem with enabling the ability to stick a news feed, weather update, etc on the desktop. Do I want it myself? No, not really. Do I mind too much if it's on by default? Erm, I guess not, provided it's easy to find how to disable it.

Do I much prefer the option. on installation, to enable or disable? Yes, and I mean for individuals not just in some kind-of scripted corporate setup.

My personal preference is for pretty much nothing on the desktop that I don't put there, or at least, that I can't easily remove because, except for a few very frequently used tools, I want the dsktop as clear as possible. I'd rather that was the default, but I can't blame MS too much for sticking 'new features' where people will see them. When I get the right hump is when things like Cortana are deeply integrated and hard to remove (though easy to disable once you know how), or when it's not clear just how integrated they are, like cloud storage. MS are not at all good at making it clear when such things are going to happen automatically unless you actively disable them, in the background, or whether they only happen if you explicitly enable them. This is one of the reasons I have a local account only and refuse to use an MS account, and by direct inference, won't touch Office 365 (under whatever name) etc., with an antiseptic bargepole. Of course, now, I'm settled on Libre for my Office needs and there is zero chance of me ever switching back to MS Office.

Anyway, back on track, without making it clearly the users choice of having some sort of newsfeed, and absolutey th user's choice about which one, all this sort of thing does is RTNU = RTNU + 1.

That, of course, is ReasonToNotUpgrade.

My decision is still not made, but as details firm up, it's certainly tending towards no to upgrading, helped by this. Are they 'reading the room'? Not if the room slapped them in the kisser with a month-old haddock.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post

And fair enough .... for those that want it. But, all this stuff comes at a price. It uses memory, it sets up extra processes and it uses CPU cycles. If you want it, great. But for those of us that regard it at useless drivel, it a right royal PITA to have to keep finding ways to turn off some extra rubbish some muppet at MSHQ thinks is essential.

Let Us Choose, MS.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Here's a thought, If I want to look up the 'news' I'll use a 'news' app or website, why give the 'news' a different name?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Sadly for Microsoft, just like with Search and Email, Google already does this and well, does it better. Whatever it's called now, I know it as "google now" on my phone and it's my go-to feed for things i'm interested in..works well and whilst it's in no-way independent, it's a useful way to find things to browse/read and get a quick update. I think thats the sort of thing they are going for here, just with MSN news/Bing as the source...which is all very meh.

We can only hope this is extensible...Microsoft have the better OS, (now) a better version of Google's browser, and a better office suite. Google have the better search, email and feed platform....I want to smoosh them together and then i'd be happy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    ...I want to smoosh them together and then i'd be happy
    Oh, for me, the notion of more Google smooshed into Windows is a nightmare come true. If I'm unhappy with more than a few MS decisions, I detest the entire ethos behind Google.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    snip.
    Not to mention depending on how it's tied to the UI something shown on it (an ad in a widget for example) might end up crashing the entire desktop UI......I'm sure nothing like that will happen with the way they're integrating cloud 'features' into the OS....oh wait...

maybe it should be RTNU + 2 lol

Honestly that advert crashing the UI is the biggest reason I have ever seen not to upgrade to the new OS, if something like that happens on a work pc (which my pc is) the amount of issues that can cause a business is just stupid.

Thanks

Honestly that advert crashing the UI is the biggest reason I have ever seen not to upgrade to the new OS, if something like that happens on a work pc (which my pc is) the amount of issues that can cause a business is just stupid.
    That, more or less, was one of my main reasons for sticking with W7 - I wanted to be the one deciding if, and most definitely when, an O/S upgrade takes place, because (though it wasn't the only reason) I was working to deadlines. Miss one, black mark. Miss two and bad reputation starts to build. But miss three and I was risking editors commissioning someone more 'reliable'. Why? Quite a lot was for print mags and yeah, while editors usually build-in some leeway, sometimes it was a last-minute "can you do this by ... <about 48 hours, or even "tomorrow 10:30am">. Accept one of those and I better not miss it because the copy has to be edited, set up and sent to printers because if they miss the printer deadline, the issue may not get printed that month. Messing editors around on deadlines without an extremely good reason was a good way to lose loads of work.

MS don't seem to understand that some people make their living from their computer and missing deadlines because an OS decides to do an upgrade and, hey, it goes wrong ....

These days, however, I'm retired and something like that would wind me right the hell up but nearly always wouldn't be a disaster. Ergo, I'm less stressed about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information