Thread: Windows 11 will start to become available from 5th October

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 11 will start to become available from 5th October

New devices will come with Windows 11 pre-installed, and upgrades roll out to Win 10 users.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Windows 11 will start to become available from 5th October

- Revamped Start Menu with Cloud and Microsoft 365 integration
    Oh Joy. I don't (and am not going to) use 365, and I want Cloud integration about as much as I want an STD. Maybe less.

- Integrated Chat from Microsoft Teams
    I didn't think they could find anything to make me less interested than Cloud integration but yup, that'll do it.

More seriously, if that quoted list of 'features' is the high points, what exactly about this justifies a major revision number? Snap layouts and rounded corners on dialogs? Yawn.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Can anyone who's been testing WII say if, or what, provisioned packages can be removed using Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage and/or Remove-WindowsCapability?

Can Teams, Microsoft 365, Widgets (i assume they're not allowing third party widgets), Android app API, and the cloud integration with the start menu be removed.

Come to think of it i could test it myself, is there a legitimate (from Microsoft) way to download an ISO without being an insider?

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Oh Joy. I don't (and am not going to) use 365, and I want Cloud integration about as much as I want an STD. Maybe less.

I didn't think they could find anything to make me less interested than Cloud integration but yup, that'll do it.

More seriously, if that quoted list of 'features' is the high points, what exactly about this justifies a major revision number? Snap layouts and rounded corners on dialogs? Yawn.
    These are two things that cause me no end of issues on Windows 10. I do not want Teams chat on all the time. I want to shut it down and for it go away when I don't want it running. I do not want microsoft copying and swapping versions of my files. I do not want to have to wait for something I dump on my desktop to sync with the cloud before it appears for me to use.

The integration of these "features" was already too much and too invasive. Now I've got to fight with them all over again? Or is Microsoft going to furnish us with a nice easy way to turn this stuff off and never be bothered by it again?

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post

LOL Oh your so negitive ..... But I have to admit I agree with everything you said.

Although I have tried windows 11 I don't think I'll be upgrading myself, it just doesn''t offer enough thats of any use to me.
    The tpm specs are a painn in the back side but you can work around them but the actual new start menu is so awfull it's a joke, search was better but I know where I save my files so even that is something I'd use only once every blue moon.
    Running android apps <spits and curses> If I honestly said how much that means to me I would be banned from this website, I own a pc not a bloody phone and infact I know my pc will be safer not running any of that rubbish thats coded by some spotty 14 year old with no clue.

I can see windows 11 being like the jump from 95 to 98, a very small one.

Registered+
    Thanks

I am somebody who really doesn't have an issue with Windows. Performs when I need it, and when it doesn't I am capable enough to fix it. That being said, I really haven't moved off it for gaming purposes. I am very excited to see the progression of Steam OS 3.0 and the evolution of proton. Its pretty good so far but I cant say I'd feel any reason to stay on windows if it makes a major leap in performance(which it looks like it will).

Windows 11 seems like it just focused on ui.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    I can see windows 11 being like the jump from 95 to 98, a very small one.
    But that was actually a worthwhile move. They took the new concept of 95, hid DOS a bit better and refined the whole thing so it was far more stable. Windows 98 was what 95 should have been had they been prophets and foreseen the issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    LOL Oh your so negitive ..... But I have to admit I agree with everything you said.

Well, not really. I mean, I cerainly was, and am, about W10. MS made what I still regard as some bone-headed and arrogant decisions which ended up forcing me to switch a lot of my (14) systems to Linux, and waste a lot of time doing it. Part of that was shifting from MS Office to OpenOffice, then Libre. So me having zero interest in Office 365 is due to MS themselves.

As for cloud integration, I used to work for myself, and now I'm retired. I don't do anything that would benefit much, if at all, from cloud services, so why use them? Also, we have seen again and again and again that there are vulnerabilities to using the cloud. Apart from anything else, to get at my data, malevolent forces have got to know it exists, find it, target it and get in. The first three make it unlikely they'll bother because, frankly, there's nothing these days worth bothering over. But, they will target big cloud services because they are such a big, fattarget. Part of security is about not sticking up a flashing neon "target me please" sign. So, cloud services don't hold any attraction for me, and it follows obviously that cloud integration, far from being a positive, is a significant negative for me. It's not me being negative, but a feature that is a positive turn-off.

But while there are things I don't like about W11, there are a few I do like, and I've been deliberately holding off forming an opinion on W11 overall while it's still in beta because it may be that those negatives are addressed by the time final product takes shape.

But this announcement is getting pretty close to final product, and the list of "features" listed in that article are just so .... meh!

I mean, seriously, rhubarb, I really, genuinely struggle to see what, on that list, justifies a full, major revision. This is more like W10.1, but that list appears to be what MS chose to emphasaise as the benefits. And unless there's a lot they're not mentioning, it's all just so massively underwhelming for the hoo-haw going on about the "next" version, given that W10 was the "last ever" version. If there is a lot more benefits than that, why aren't MS shouting about them?

I'm not so much negative about W11 as .... bored. Puzzled as to why they're making a big thing of so little and as to why, frankly, I should give a damn either way? It seems to be a collection of a few things I either don't want (like Office 365) or, well, round corners. Snaps are nice, the UI looks a bit better but a major OS upgrade for that? Thanks, but .... yawn, nah. I have better things to do with my time. I'm just surprised my main reaction to it is big-time apathy.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I think this is the just norm for new launches Saracen. Its not like the good old days of Windows 95 to 98 where 95 just got fixes so 98 was a big jump in changes. In comparison with Windows 10 now vs when it launched it has changed considerably with regular feature drops. Its just the way software is done now with continuous releases. I see it even in the industry I'm in which is very conservative. I also see it with my phone where things like Android Auto change and evolve without a big version change (to the software or the phone).

Ultimately this is just a marketing exercise plus a way of dropping support for old hardware Microsoft don't want to invest in.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

It's closest to 8>8.1 or Vista>7. They're more or less the same underneath but with UI tweaks to get rid of the worst friction points and get away from a version name/number that is tainted.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

I agree this isn't really worthy of a full version number. The only real reason to do this is to drop legacy features they couldn't in windows 10 due to features being supported for the lifetime of the product.

This has been a PR disaster so far as the information provided is conflicting.

When windows 10 release I did wonder how it would work when they wanted to remove support for older devices which didn't have updated drivers and firmware. originally they stated that if a vendor no longer provided drivers it would stay on a particular version until the EOL date.

Windows 10 always had a 10 year support cycle so i am not sure why so many people are surprised that windows 11 is coming out.

Just under 5 years left on windows 10 so most devices can stay on that. It is interesting how no where near as much fuss is made about the lack of updates for smartphones and other smart devices.

I do agree about perfectly functional devices being left out in the cold when windows 10 does become EOL. At least windows 10 is getting 10 years of updates which is better than IOS and far exceeds Android.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I think this is the just norm for new launches Saracen. Its not like the good old days of Windows 95 to 98 where 95 just got fixes so 98 was a big jump in changes. In comparison with Windows 10 now vs when it launched it has changed considerably with regular feature drops. Its just the way software is done now with continuous releases. I see it even in the industry I'm in which is very conservative. I also see it with my phone where things like Android Auto change and evolve without a big version change (to the software or the phone).

Yup, I reckon so. But it does make it harder to justify doing it, or even to raise any enthusiasm as to why people should much care. What I mean is, assuming your hardware doesn't "qualify". should people go buy new hardware, or go "Ho hum" and carry on as before. My answer is that there's no real reason to much care whether you use 10 or 11, at least for several years.

I certainly wasn't happy, as mentioned last post, about the W7 to W8 (and later) change, for well-discussed reasons but I can't see any real reason to get either excited about upgrading, or bothered about not being able to. I get that there's been incremental changes regularly, but that makes the implied logic of the importance of upgrading rather .... artifical, bordering even on a con.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post

Ultimately this is just a marketing exercise plus a way of dropping support for old hardware Microsoft don't want to invest in.
    Well, yes, exactly. It brings me back to not getting bothered, about getting excited (I'm not) or annoyed (also not).

Bear in mind my post was because I was told I'm being "negative", Not really. I just don't really see the furore, either of a new release or people getting the hump over not qualifying. It seems to me to be, yeah, a marketing exercise, and a minor facelift, and really a "Meh! Yeah, whatever, yawn" kind of thing, not a major computing event. It might be more of an event in 4 years when it goes EOL, but my guess is that a lot of hardware that doesn't qualify now and so is probably a few years old, will be out of service by then anyway. Much of the rest might not "qualify" but still works, and still won't be an event even in 4 more years. Those that don't qualify now, can't install anyway, and are still using that hardware in another four years will, at that point, either have to put up with EOL or go Linux, but it'll be a small number.

All told, whether we upgrade or not, or even can upgrade or not, it seems like a damp squib, a non-event, a lot of hot air about not much. Unless you (not you, cheesemp, the generic 'you') are really excited about rounded corners and 365/cloud integration.

I just can't get interested enough, either way, to even get wound up by it this time. And I was so looking forward to a good rant.

(Kidding).

One implication, I guess, and it's a positive for me, is that with 11 out, Win 10 will presumably get patches and security fixes for four years but very little 'new' features. That ought to make updates smaller and less risky, and the core functions of 10 more stable (in the sense of not changing). MS will presumably put actual development effort in 11, not into feature changes in 10. Well .... good.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 02-09-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Tpyo

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Brutos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Billistix 1600 8-8-8-24
      • Storage:
      • Mushkin HS SSD 64GB Samsung 2TB x2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870

Been testing W11 and find it quite good like the UI upgrades and the small tweaks made.

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

Hmmm October plus 6 months is April '22. I might actually check to see if there is anything useful that I don't have in W10 around then. I don't get paid to beta test
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

15. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (06-09-2021)

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E6wOQx92fg

Very intresting news, if you install 11 on an unsuported system it does this now.

Thanks
    • raygdunn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B365M D3H
      • CPU:
      • water cooled i7 9700
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2666
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb M2 SSD (+Seagate 500Gb hidden round the back)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX1660
      • PSU:
      • 550W 140mm fan
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Prolite 22" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • ~36Mb fibre to cabinet

Enabling TPM 2 in i7 processor on a Gigabyte motherboard (B365M D3H)

In case anyone else hits the same problem... For my Gigabyte BIOS, there are two TPM enabling options in very different places of same screen! The most obvious one enables support for the plug in card only. Much further up the screen is a more verbose option to enable the processor support.

I've missed that several times.

18. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (12-09-2021)

Thread Information