Thread: HP Envy 34 AiO desktop has 5K 21:9 display, RTX 3080 graphics

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

HP Envy 34 AiO desktop has 5K 21:9 display, RTX 3080 graphics

In a Windows 11 devices splurge it also unveiled laptops, tablets, and monitors.
    Read more.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: HP Envy 34 AiO desktop has 5K 21:9 display, RTX 3080 graphics

What would be interesting to know is if the display can be used with an external system. These things have a limited lifespan but, in my experience, monitors outlive systems. As the screen is the selling point it'd be interesting to see if it is reusable once the PC side is too old.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Feels like Ryzen would make a lot more sense due to the massive difference in power (and therefore heat) usage. Don't the Intel parts pull north of 200w on the CPU ? vs 65w on a Ryzen.

Thanks

The repairability horrors of AiO are similar to laptops. I cant buy a desktop PC for cosmetic purposes of cable management or de-facto 'space savings', infact the case with all that RGB and tampered glass panel looks awesome.

Thanks

If only this (the aio) was just a screen (or as said above could take input too, ideally with a 'low power' system though for me).... I like the idea of the detachable webcam surprisingly too and it looks quite nice too.

If it's just for the screen it's likely based on the LG 34inch 5k2k display which could do with a bit of an update to the ports imo.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    What would be interesting to know is if the display can be used with an external system. These things have a limited lifespan but, in my experience, monitors outlive systems. As the screen is the selling point it'd be interesting to see if it is reusable once the PC side is too old.
    The marketing department says no. How could they advertise the "reusable once the PC side is too old" feature?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    The repairability horrors of AiO are similar to laptops. :...
    That. It's what I'm struggling to reconcile at the moment and what's stopping me buying a laptop.

I also have to wonder if that RTX 3080 is the full blown desktop variant, or the much less powerful but very misleadingly and identically named mobile version?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    The repairability horrors of AiO are similar to laptops. :...
    That. It's what I'm struggling to reconcile at the moment and what's stopping me buying a laptop.

I also have to wonder if that RTX 3080 is the full blown desktop variant, or the much less powerful but very misleadingly and identically named mobile version?
    Have you seen the Framework laptop? Some very interesting things coming out of that company and a near-fully user upgradeable / repairable laptop is certainly appealing (they're even releasing board schematics to repair shops to enable board level repair). It's just the fact that they're so new and on their first big product release. I think the product will be good, but it's a matter of survival.

EDIT - I'm coming up to new laptop time and I might take a chance on the Framework. Even if they go bust, there will be the schematics out there and the design will be repairable. So, when combined with a technical user base, there will be the chance of self-repair which puts it beyond other laptops out there. It's either that or a 3 year old, refurbished Thinkpad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirko View Post
    The marketing department says no. How could they advertise the "reusable once the PC side is too old" feature?
    Green - "reuse the awesome screen rather than binning it!"
    Convenient - "use the screen with other machines - keep work and home computers separate without added desk space!"
    Value - "combine budgets and screens for your TV, gaming console and computer into one with multiple inputs!"

I will never work in marketing because I'm not that big a penis but the above are all potential selling points.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 23-09-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Have you seen the Framework laptop? ....
    Indeed I have, and I like the concept. A lot. It might be a bit risky, and a bit too much of an unknown quantity, for me though.

My next PC, laptop or desktop, is hopefully going to be the last time I do this. So I do want to go pretty high-end, but within reason. That's part of my laptop v desktop dilemma.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Indeed I have, and I like the concept. A lot. It might be a bit risky, and a bit too much of an unknown quantity, for me though.

My next PC, laptop or desktop, is hopefully going to be the last time I do this. So I do want to go pretty high-end, but within reason. That's part of my laptop v desktop dilemma.
    Linus did a review/tear down in a video, he also had to legally inform us he'd invested in them too, and in all honesty it looks fairly solid device if you're not interested in 'high end' performance or amd lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Linus did a review/tear down in a video, he also had to legally inform us he'd invested in them too, and in all honesty it looks fairly solid device if you're not interested in 'high end' performance or amd lol.
    Yeah, I saw the original video, then the "Should I invest" WAN show, then the "I did invest" one, too. It does look interesting, but is still too new, too much of a punt for me.

Thread Information